PDA

View Full Version : Purrrrrr..........

Nomilynn
05-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Tilly has such a loud purr! She woke me up SEVERAL times last night because she was purring in my face! She is also such a tiny cat that I don't expect such loud noises out of her! :D

Bassett has a very soft purr, and she is HUGE! :eek: If Bassett wants to wake me up she can just walk on me :D

What kind of purrs do your cats have, and when do they use them? :)

Former User
05-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Casper's purr is LOUD, and I mean loud! Aunt Sandy once said that while Casper is purring, our walls are shaking! :D He purrs when he's in our lap, or when we pet him.

Kitty's purr on the other hand is quiet, can hardly hear it (yeah, we're half deaf after Casper's purr ;) ). And she also purrs when she's in our lap, and when we pet her. Also, if the food we serve is especially yummie, they purr.

wolflady
05-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
...Also, if the food we serve is especially yummie, they purr.

LOL LOL I think it's so funny when they do this! Our will do that too.

Scooter has a pretty loud purr as well. Heck...he has a set of lungs on him too, so he let out the loudest wails and yowls you've ever heard! :eek: Usually he only gets that way at the vet's place when he turns into 'Mr. Hyde'! LOL He'll purr while he's cuddling with his daddy, and usually at night before we go to bed, we let him come and lay on the bed with us, and he'll purr the whole time.

Marius, on the other hand, even though a large cat...is very quiet. He hardly meows, and when he does, it's such a quiet little pathetic peep!! So annoying cute! Most of marius's 'talking' is chirrups. He'll pur while he's sitting on my lap ever so faintly...:D

I just love the sound of a kitty purring! So relaxing:D

momoffuzzyfaces
05-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Leroy's purr is strangly akin to an outboard motor. I can hear it no matter where in the room I am with him. Luke and Leonardo both have quiet dignified purrs. Chester, I'm not sure can even purr. I've never caught him at it. He doesn't like to be held so it's hard to tell if he's doing it or not.:)

wolflady
05-16-2002, 06:33 PM
I can't remember who it was, but one of our fellow Pet Talkers posted a neat phrase awhile back that I just thought of after reading all these purrrrrring posts! :D

A cat's purr is like a massage in sound...:cool: So true! :D

yorkster
05-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Wylie is a big cat, and so is his purr- the other day I was sitting at the kitchen table and could hear him purring in the bedroom upstairs (it's directly above, but still...............) :rolleyes:

Kedi is also big, but has a very soft and soothing purr. :)

Liza (RB) was tiny, but had a HUGE purr. :)

wayne0214
05-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Of my indoor 9, there is only one cat that purrs loudly, that being Fawn, and he is the littlest of the males! Tiger, Amy, and the others also purr but it is difficult to hear. Ophie has the most attention-getting meow in that it reminds me of a begging wimper, due to being hungry , scared, or feeling rejected.:)

........wayne

yumyum6970
05-17-2002, 10:06 AM
YumYum has a very loud purrrr for her age. She is only one year old. She will purr when we are in our bedroom and she wants to join us which she knows she isn't allowed. She also purs when she wants canned food in the mornings. She will pur all morning long till I give it to her. :)
Dutchess purs when she wants out at 4am in the morning. :(

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Tubby purrs all the time except when he's in his "dead to the world" sleep. :) It's only the volume that changes. When he's either on my lap or right next to me on the couch, he purrs really loud. When he's laying on top of me as I'm laying on the couch, it's a little quieter. It's loudest though, when we first go to bed. He'll come and sit by my head and just purr up a storm! :) I'll pet him a bit and then he moves down by my feet and lays down, still purring up a storm. He's such a lover boy that it's hard to believe he was the terror that he was when he was kitten. :rolleyes:

Peanut on the other hand, is just a quiet little kitty. She'll purr when we're petting her, or when I'm brushing her, but that's about it. As far as we can tell anyway. She's such a quiet little thing that she could be purring more than Tubby and we just never hear her. But last night when I brought the sliced ham and bologna out of the refrigerator, boy could I hear her! I couldn't believe the racket she was making because she's normally not like that. Just little peeps and chirps here and there. Such a little sweety. :)

noahmason
05-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Noah sounds like a million crickets! It's a very odd sound and has led us to keeping him out of the bed at night. Oh yeah, and the nonstop kneading :)

noahmason
05-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Wolflady - you a Purdue person?? Me too!

wolflady
05-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by noahmason
Wolflady - you a Purdue person?? Me too!

Cool!!! A fellow Boiler!!:D :D :D Welcome to Pet Talk! No doubt you'll become addicted like the rest of us....;)
**hugs**

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/_images/purdue-sm.gif

krazyaboutkatz
05-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Sunny is my smallest cat and he purrs and meows the loudest. Storm is usually always purring but you have to get very close to him to hear it. Pepper only purrs when he's kneading my neck or chest and then he has a very loud purr.

lynnestankard
05-21-2002, 04:29 AM
Late again - sometimes I feel like that white rabbit in 'Alice in Wonderland'!!:eek:

Bagel has a really soothing ladylike purr - but the other two - WOW! Ketchum has a really deep resonant purr - sometimes when he's sat at my side - I can feel the purr deep in my tummy!! And Dan is JUST LOUD! :D :D

Lynne

05-21-2002, 05:57 AM
:D Sydney has a loud purr-sound too !!!
He usually does it when he is petted , when we scratch him under his chin , while taking a sunbath , and when he realizes that some yamies are about to be served !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clever Sydney!!!!:cool: :cool: