PDA

View Full Version : Heat wave and dress code at work

Randi
07-02-2006, 12:58 PM
We're having our second heat wave here and I just read an article in the business paper about dress code at work. Here are some abstract of the article:

The sun makes danes forget about etiquette

"Even though the sun is blazing down, it's a real bad idea to come in to the office wearing shorts, sandals or a beach dress if you want to taken serious! Whatever the weather, you should dress accordingly to the job you have - or even the job you want to have! Especially the people around in offices have a problem dressing accordinly to etiquette. There are certain lines of directions that should be followed if you want your collegues and business associates to take you seriously, and if you don't want to aspire to the worst dressed collegue.

As a man, one of the first things you must avoid, is to wear a short sleeved shirt and a tie! That is close to being a mortal sin (deadly sin). Either you wear a shirt with short sleeves and no tie, or you wear a long sleeved shirt and roll the sleeves up. Then, there's the question of foot wear - don't air your hot feet in public! And don't ever wear sock in sandals!

As a woman, there are also limits to what you can do. First of all, try not to look as if you've left home in your underwear, much too often, women walk around in clothes which look like underwear, and they can't expect to be taken serious when they do. It's OK that women shows tanned arms wearing a sleeveless shirt/top - as long as it looks like real clothes. Don't dress a if you only managed to get your underwear on. Lastly, it is advised not to be tempted to wear a top which shows a bit of bare skin in the middle, especially if you have a bit of flesh on your tummy."

Me? I wear a short sleeved shirt and a pair of loose jeans (ioned!) ;) However, my problem is that I hate to iron in this heat, and also, I love wearing clothes that needs to be ironed - it's usually pure cotton. :)

In my early twenties, I had a job in a fancy department store for the summer, it was not allowed to wear open shoes without having tights on! :rolleyes: I hate wearing those!! Will rather have pants on.

What's your opinion on this subject?

momoffuzzyfaces
07-02-2006, 01:16 PM
When I worked at the insurance co, our dress code was the same no matter what the weather. The only exception was we had Casual Friday where jeans could be worn. Even then sandals were a no no and women could not wear shorts and had to wear hose if wearing a dress. No bare legs allowed - ever.

We did work in an air conditioned enviroment though. :)

cyber-sibes
07-02-2006, 01:26 PM
I work part time in a nice women's clothing store, so we get very specific dress codes each season - complete with pictures just so we can't say "I didn't know". Haha! We're required to read & sign each dress code page. Funny thing this year, we get to wear things that were big no-nos last year-- go figure! They keep the store really cold, so usually when you walk out during the summer, you're roasting! most anything goes, but no "layering" pieces without the proper layers. Certain brands of sandles are no-nos, too. (They banned Birckenstocks, among others)

FYI - did you know that this season, there are at least 7 different pants lengths?
Shorts
City shorts (longer)
bermudas
Clamdiggers, which are longer than the traditional bermuda shorts
Capris
Flood pants
full length pants

lizbud
07-02-2006, 06:13 PM
When I worked at the insurance co, our dress code was the same no matter what the weather. The only exception was we had Casual Friday where jeans could be worn. Even then sandals were a no no and women could not wear shorts and had to wear hose if wearing a dress. No bare legs allowed - ever.

Our dress code was the same. In times of extreme bouts of heat/humidity,
the men could go without a tie.

catnapper
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
LOL... my husband is guilty of the shortsleeved shirt and tie thing. He does NOT understand why its wrong. Doesn't he see how dopey it looks?

Cataholic
07-02-2006, 07:50 PM

EEK! Flashback! I SO do remember those days. AND, if we were a skirt, it HAD to have a jacket. AND, it had to be on at all times. Jeans were not allowed on casual Fridays- which was about once a quarter.

Now, I go without hose as much as I can...and, dress down unless I am in court.

Edwina's Secretary
07-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I too remember the days of STRICT dress code...for women of course.

Unfortunately, from some things I have seen in the workplace....dress codes are an evil necessity. I have seen women wear "Daisy Dukes"....short shorts, tube tops, backless sundresses, flip-flops etc. And then complain that their bodies are being looked at..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And complain about the air conditioning and it's too cold.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think it is possible to look professional and still be relatively comfortable. Loose pants, cotton or linen blouses and a jacket in case the air is too much.

I am one though (and probably ONLY one) who prefers panty hose....unless it is REALLY hot.