PDA

View Full Version : Biting...:(

Jods
07-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Kong our 3 and a half month almost four lab puppy is getting carried away with the biting. We have tried everything I think this is my last hope I know puppies nip I completly understand and can deal with that its how mad he gets when we reprimand him if we say no he lunges and attacks more if we do what our trainer suggested yelling ouch he takes this as playing and bites harder the thing is when he first starts nipping its normal puppy type nipping its when we say no or yell ouch that he growls and starts attacking yes this still might be playing but in a vicious manner. My husbands grandfather was bit by him and was bleeding so bad he had to get bandaged up :o he's made me bleed and my mother in law bleed. Its getting way out of hand. I think this might even be border line viciousness. Its just how mad he gets when he gets in trouble. He'll bark like crazy growl an then bite when he gets a hold of skin he will not let go and he pulls and shakes which causes the bleeding... PLEASE HELP! most of our family members are scared of him now.

Ginger's Mom
07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
I should probably wait until more experienced people/trainers come on, but I do have one question/suggestion. When you say ouch, are you folding your arms and turning your back on Kong? Then there shouldn't be anything for him to grab and bite harder on. You need to not only tell him it is wrong, but take your attention away from him, let him know that when he bites play time is over, getting attention is over, having fun is over. When you are playing with him always be prepared to make the quick spin away, because at some point he is probably going to get excited and bite. I would count to five (or ten) then turn back and say something like, now play gentle. If she bit again, play time was over. I would probably let him bark, when I turned away, but no jumping up. If he jumps up walk into another room, count to 5 or ten, then return. He just needs to know that certain behaviors will cause him to be left out of the pack, and he probably doesn't want that.

Jadapit
07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I found an article that might give you some help with this. Sorry, you are going through this with Kong, I'm sure its very stressful on all of you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_18746_stop-puppy-biting.html

DrKym
07-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Jada my friend I am certain you already have one but if not invest in a good prong collar and leash, make a quick correction not yelling just a firm no. Also try tethering him to you for a few days, I know its a pain but it will reestablish dominance and alpha to him. and you know this one is coming if you havent done it recently take him to the vet rule out anything physical and then work on behavioral. by the way Jesse saw your siggy and said your babies are beautiful! she is sending some p[ics of her brindles I can post here! I do hope this helps I had a couple pups over the yrs that exhibited this behaviour and with consistent work and reaffirming who really rules the roost they were fine. ;)

Shelteez2
07-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Since he seems to be a reactive dog, I would do the opposite. Try and show no emotion. He bites, you don't say anything more than a low no bite and just calmly and quickly put him away in a time out. Is he crate trained? I would use the crate as his time out area. Is he only biting when he's playing and gets over excited?? This will allow him to calm down. He doesn't have to stay in the crate forever, just until he is calm. Let him out then give him a little obedience lesson. Something he knows how to do well, like sit.

Try not to let playtime with him get to such a frenzied level. If you notice he's heading in that direction before the biting starts, put him away in his kennel with a kong or a bone so that he can calm down again. Time outs don't have to be a negative experience.

Good luck.

bckrazy
07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I would definitely see a private behaviorist for this problem, if it's that serious, as we can only give advice based on your description... first-hand observation is much, much easier to help with. The Lab puppies/adolescents I have been around really didn't nip much, aren't they bred to instinctively have a soft mouth? Finding a good trainer would be ideal, to nip this in the bud.

I have heard that with very headstrong dogs, sometimes a low "no bite" that sounds like a growl will get their attention. I would think your other dog is teaching him not to bite? Within a week of Gonzo correcting Fozzie for biting, he completely stopped biting hands. I don't know exactly how old Kong is, but I know puppy needle-teeth are not pleasant.

Jods
07-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone I will try your suggestions here are the answers to some of your questions. No I don;t have a prong collar Kongs trainer doesn't believe in them :o

I do turn around when he bites and he bites my clothing or my legs. He is 4 months old. Mercedes doesn't do anytyhing when he bites her but ignore him and look at us as if she thinks SHE is doing something wrong. He IS crate trained I will try this. He is the worst when we are outside I find...
Thanks Everyone!!