PDA

View Full Version : Bubble nest with eggs!!!!

Argranade
07-01-2006, 09:45 PM
The new betta I got has already made eggs and a nest with my female its the male with the brown tail.

I would like some baby bettas and I have so many ppl who would like some also so Im just woundering HOW?

How do you look after them I have had some that hatched but they just swam a bit then sank to the bottom of the bowl.Do new born bettas need air bubbles? and what kind of food do they eat?

Heres that pic of the new betta I got.

Oh ya I have already moved the female out fo the tank so she does not eat the eggs.

binka_nugget
07-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Yikes.. I think you've bitten off more than you can chew. :\

It's highly unlikely that they'll live (assuming you don't have live foods available).. but what I do is, I leave the dad in until all the babies are freeswimming. After they hatch, they'll often fall out of the nest but dad will take them into his mouth and put them back into the nest. After they've becoming swimming horizontally, it's time to take dad out.

At that point, you need to feed them often.. as in, 2-4 times (or more) a day. And water changes must be done religiously once you're able to spot the babies and not syphon them with the waste. If they don't eat often, they'll die. Egg yolk and infusoria will suffice but I personally just stick to microworms and vinegar eels at that stage. Some people say you can feed BBS right away.. I haven't had much luck getting my new borns to eat it. If you haven't already gotten a microworm culture, you'll need to find an established culture ASAP otherwise you won't be left with any babies.

Argranade
07-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Can I get this stuff at Pj,s pet store?

Or Big all.s where its all about fish.?

flamepony12
07-02-2006, 11:01 AM
There are two main reasons you should not have bred.

1.) You obviously weren't prepared.
2.) Your bettas are veiltails.

But since you've already done it, I reccomend Atison's Betta Starter. Live foods such as Microworms, Vinegar Eels, and Baby Brine Shrimp are also important. Sponge filters are good for the first month or two of the babies' lives, since they don't have powerful intakes and can aslo work as an air bubbler.

I think Ashley's pretty much covered the rest.. Next time, be sure to do some more research before breeding!

lute
07-02-2006, 11:50 AM
what's wrong with breeding veiltails?

binka_nugget
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
what's wrong with breeding veiltails?

Veiltails are pretty much the mutts of the fishworld. Just like with dogs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but breeding them is frowned upon. With a spawn of possibly 200+ babies, it's much easier finding homes for superdeltas and halfmoons than it is for veils.. not to mention all the veils that are suffering in little cups all over the world.

Can I get this stuff at Pj,s pet store?

Or Big all.s where its all about fish.?
I doubt it :\ Atison's betta starter you might be able to find (we don't have any PJs pet stores and only a few Big Als around here so I wouldn't know). Look around for local betta breeders (or even fish breeders). You might be able to obtain a culture from them as MWs are a must have. Aquabid.com also has some sellers with MWs. I also sell them but shipping priority from Canada wouldn't be worth it.

Roxyluvsme13
07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Ah.. I think you should have researched some more.:(.. What color is the female?

Vela
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Breeding fish should not be taken any more lightly than breeding anything else. It is irresponsible to do it without the proper knowledge and equiapment. Please find out more information before doing this again, it 's just not the right thing to do unless you really know what you are getting into.

bckrazy
07-02-2006, 06:54 PM
I suggest you cull the fry, because they will die of starvation at this point. I'm also assuming they're in a bowl, which is impossible to raise fry in. =( Please remove the Dad, cull the babies, and put him back in his home as a pet Betta... at least until you've done your research. You need to know how to breed BEFORE, not after, there are babies.

I'm sorry, but it is very obvious that you know very little about Bettas & caring for them. Check out http://bettatalk.com and http://fishforums.net for spawning information (check the pinned threads on the Betta board at fish forums, there is tons of info already on the board about spawning, there's no need to start a new topic asking how to do it.). Your male is a mustard gas VT. He's very pretty, but I would not consider him worth breeding, because you will get a spawn of VT's and raising the fry costs much, much more than what you'll get for VT Bettas.

Argranade
07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Ya Im not gona let them hatch Ill wait till Im realy ready I didnt even know they had eggs because they where hiden in the leaves.

Oh well. :o

flamepony12
07-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Ya Im not gona let them hatch Ill wait till Im realy ready I didnt even know they had eggs because they where hiden in the leaves.

Oh well. :o

Wait.. so it wasn't even planned? if not, you should NEVER have a male and female living together unless intentionally spawning. And I'm assuming you'll know more before your next attempt.

IRescue452
07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, if she can have her males and females living together without too much stress on either, kudos to her. I can't imagine how many goldfish eggs are layed in my tanks each year and then eaten or cleaned out. I find it healthier for the females to actually lay the eggs than go through reabsoring them.

lute
07-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Veiltails are pretty much the mutts of the fishworld. Just like with dogs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but breeding them is frowned upon. With a spawn of possibly 200+ babies, it's much easier finding homes for superdeltas and halfmoons than it is for veils.. not to mention all the veils that are suffering in little cups all over the world.

wow. i had no idea. good thing i don't plan on breeding my fish. :)

bckrazy
07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Female & male Bettas can never be kept together. They are not a grouping species, and even a female community is difficult to keep peacefully. Unless you have a 20+ gallon VERY well planted tank, it is totally unnatural and unhealthy to keep a male and female together. You will end up with ripped up Bettas.