PDA

View Full Version : Let's keep our records here, Amberlee

Logan
05-16-2002, 09:45 AM
I figure with the edit feature, we can just keep coming back and keeping tally of what we do each day with our newly found exercise program!!! And if we have a funny story to add, that will make it more enjoyable too!! :) I'm afraid I always have a funny story to add.......that's what I get for having so many pets!!

5/14 The beginning......we walked for about 25 minutes (I think)
5/15 Second day.....walked 40 minutes....both dogs, "dog tired", Helen and I were fine! :)

AmberLee
05-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Sounds good:

5/13 -- 20 minutes walking
5/14 -- 30 minutes walking (15 minutes included carrying Cassy: BAD idea)
5/15 -- 15 minutes walking
5/16 -- 20 minutes walking
5/17 -- 30 minutes walking w/Wolflady [With today's walk I've already exceeded my goal for the week. Wahoozies!!!]
5/18 -- 10 minutes walking
5/19 -- 10 minutes walking and with twist board [The cats were astonished and enthralled!]

wolflady
05-16-2002, 01:48 PM
I really think this will help me get motivated!!

Ok...here's the sad truth...
5/15 - Attempted my first step aerobics class after this terrible cold I've been battling. Barely made it through the first half hour...whimped out and went home! :rolleyes: Hopefully class will be better tonight...LOL

5/16 - Made it through the full hour of step aerobics followed by 10 minute abs, but was completely wiped out...:eek: LOL

5/17 - 30 minute walk at lunchtime with AmberLee!:D That time sure flew by fast!!

I really slacked on the weekend. I walked for maybe 15 minutes on 5/19 down in San Juan Bautista with my mom looking at antiques. Does that count?? LOL :D

5/21 - 20 minutes yoga

5/24 - 20 minutes pilates

5/28 - 20 minutes walk

6/01 - 1 hour walk

6/02 - 1 hour walk

6/03 - 1 hour 15 minutes yoga

6/04 - 30 minutes walk

AmberLee
05-20-2002, 09:18 AM
Just to bring this forward.

Today's the start of week two.

No weight lost, but several inches lost and aerobic exercise done daily, to some extent, for a week. I do feel better (a bit stiffer...) and more energetic.

Oops. Famous last words. I picked up a bug of some sort that wiped me out for about a day and a half. Got sick Monday evening. :(

5/22: walked ~ 15 minutes
5/23: walked 15 minutes
5/25: walked 10 minutes (with weights)
5/26: walked 10 minutes (in place with weights. Amazed cats...)

:o :( Once again, no weight loss. Fell short of my exercise goal, but was ill off-and-on all week. Some improvement in muscle tone and a perceptible improvement in blood sugar levels. (even though I've been sick.) This is a huge improvement. :D

Overall, I've made progress this week, although less than I'd like.

wolflady
05-20-2002, 11:12 AM
That's great AmberLee!! I'm hoping I will eventually see some results. I (regretably) decided I should step on the weight scales, so I could record my progress, and was disappointed to find that I'm the heaviest I've ever been!:( I will be happy if I can lose 15 pounds, but it won't be easy. With my body type it's so difficult! I remember it took me over 5 months last year just to get to my target weight, and that was losing only 10 pounds! :eek:
I think it will help now that we can do it together! It's nice to have a friend to help get you motivated and workout with. Plus, it's much more fun! I enjoyed our walk on Friday immensly:D
**hugs**

Logan
05-20-2002, 11:24 AM
I was a "walking" failure this weekend..... :o . I walked a lot, but not with the dogs!! LOL!! And I planted a lot...does that count?

BUT, the good news is that when my parents arrived on Saturday, my mother immediately said "Your face looks thinner, Logan"! That means it is working, because that is the first place to show any weight loss!! :D

I'll report in later today! A long walk is planned for tonight!!! :)

Rachel
05-20-2002, 07:45 PM
You have all inspired me as well. I am really trying to watch what I eat at night which is when I generally undo all the good I've done during the day. Last night I had a hard time getting to sleep, and this is usually when I get up to eat. But I thought of all of you and finally decided on some fresh strawberries (no sugar). It worked! It was enough to get me to sleep, but that was after I had lain awake for several hours (arrgghh).

My exercises consist of either 2 miles on the tread mill or 30 minutes on the stationery bike. The last time I lost weight, I did 3 miles a day on the treadmill, but I ended up hating it so much. Two miles a day, I can do without hating it. I am not going to report on my exercising because I'm already doing that, so I'll check in when I need to or when I have lost my first 10 pounds.

:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by AmberLee
No weight lost, but several inches lost and aerobic exercise done daily, to some extent, for a week. I do feel better (a bit stiffer...) and more energetic.

Great work Amberlee! And just so you don't get down about the no weight loss, they say that muscle weighs more than fat so if you're dieting by excersing, you're not likely to see a weight loss in the first couple of weeks because you're building muscle. All you have to do is keep it up and the muscles will continue to build and the weight will eventually drop. Not only will you weigh less but you'll be more trim with a better "body fat content" or whatever they call it.

Keep up the good work!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by wolflady
That's great AmberLee!! I'm hoping I will eventually see some results. I (regretably) decided I should step on the weight scales, so I could record my progress, and was disappointed to find that I'm the heaviest I've ever been!:(

Don't be blue, Karen, stepping on the scale is a good first step so as soon as you start to lose you'll know it. You guys are all doing so great! Keep up the good work and remember that a little slip-up is no big deal, as long as you get back on it right away. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I was a "walking" failure this weekend..... :o . I walked a lot, but not with the dogs!! LOL!! And I planted a lot...does that count?

It sure does Logan! :) This seems to be the new mantra of weight loss experts these days is that the exercise doesn't need to be "traditional" type exercise. As long as you're being active and moving, you're burning calories. Planting is a lot of work and I'm sure it was very helpful. Terry always claims he gets his exercise by washing the motorhome. :rolleyes: I can't say anything though, because it's true. He really works up a sweat, and like I said, it's better than sitting on the couch or in front of the computer. Keep up the good work!!! :D

wolflady
05-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

Don't be blue, Karen, stepping on the scale is a good first step so as soon as you start to lose you'll know it. You guys are all doing so great! Keep up the good work and remember that a little slip-up is no big deal, as long as you get back on it right away. :)

{{{T&P's mom}}}
Hopefully I can keep it up and get back into a routine! Once I do that, hopefully everything will eventually come off. And, that's right. Muscle does weigh more than fat. My mom would tell me that alot because the first time I set out to lose weight, I was annoyed at how much I worked out without losing anything. But, I did notice that my clothes fit better.
Logan, I know absoltuely nothing about gardening and planting...but my yard needs a total makeover. When can you come over and help me plants some herbs??!!! LOL LOL LOL ;)

AmberLee
05-28-2002, 12:38 AM
Bringing forward again. Today's post is included in my 20 May entry above. Mixed results for week.

5/29 10 min walking
5/30 12 min walking (with Carol)
5/30 10 min walking alone
5/31 30 min (or more) walking w/Wolflady
5/31 45 min (or more) walking alone (I got jazzed by our discussions, Karen!)

Rachel
05-28-2002, 08:06 PM
I exercised every day last week, but alas during grocery shopping on Saturday Breyer's ice cream was on sale...buy one, get one free. My half gallon of Mocha Almond Fudge is more than half gone. :p I can't bear to step on the scale!!!!

wolflady
05-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Oh, I hear ya about that Ice cream!! :eek: And, of course all of this memorial day BBQ...I just couldn't resist!!! :rolleyes: LOL

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-29-2002, 06:55 AM
I have been following up on your progress ladies. Good Job!

Rachel, does Breyers make any sorbets? Try to substitue that Mocha Almond Fudge with a fruity sorbet. BBQs are very tempting, I know. Try a veggie burger instead of a fatty meat patty or a bone less, skinless white chicken in a light marinade. Salads are great for diets. You can mix all sorts of veggies and fruits for a low calorie and low fat meal. I have mean deliscious diet recipes that I would love to share with you gals if you are interested.

I am glad to see that you are loosing weight the healthy way. My mother in law has been on a diet for a few months and has lost so much weight and been able to keep it off. She eats 6 small meals everyday and does 45 minutes of exercise daily. The diet is a low carb diet. I also have a list of foods that are low in carbohydrates.

I have been obssessed with my weight since I was 12! I was always bean pole skinny, but one day felt that I was too fat. I battled anorexia for 6 years. After alot of help, I have been able to be thin the healthy way.

Pam
05-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
I exercised every day last week, but alas during grocery shopping on Saturday Breyer's ice cream was on sale...buy one, get one free. My half gallon of Mocha Almond Fudge is more than half gone. :p I can't bear to step on the scale!!!!

Oh Rachel can I relate! I just can't keep ice cream in the house for that reason and only buy Breyer's and Godiva but ONLY when they are on sale. Thankfully they don't go on sale that often! At least we can romp in the yard with our pupsters after having a big bowl but that probably doesn't make a dent in burning up what we ate! :rolleyes:

wolflady
05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
...I have mean deliscious diet recipes that I would love to share with you gals if you are interested.
...I also have a list of foods that are low in carbohydrates.

Yes!! Tips like this would be great! I'm on a low carb diet right now, but it's just getting so boring eating the same thing almost everyday. Plus, since I get home so late, I don't want to spend a lot of time fixing something. So, it's usually some sort of meat (usually chicken) on the George forman grill, a veggie and a salad. For lunch I have fruit salad. I hate that I just love rice and pasta and breads so much! LOL LOL I always thought those were good for you! But, unfortunately, I also have this horrible body type (my mom says: it's the pear shape, honey...there's nothing you can do about it :rolleyes: ) that holds fat and it's nearly impossible for me to lose anything, no matter how much I exercise and how well I eat:( Last August, I was satisfied with my weight...but it took me over 5 months of intense exercise on the diet I'm on now...and even then...when I got out of the swing of the gym...it packed back on my thighs:( UGH! LOL So unfair! LOL
Any suggestions for foods and recipes are greatly appreciated!!:D

**hugs**

Rachel
05-29-2002, 06:54 PM
does 45 minutes of exercise daily.

I've lost weight once before and that is exactly what it took for me... along with the salads, fruits and vegetables of which you spoke.

I've been trying to cheat the Goddess of Weights and Measurements by not going the same route (I love my ice cream), but the Goddess will not be tricked. I know what has to be done, just have to be psychologically ready to make it a priority. And if what one does is not working, one has to be ready to crank it up another notch. A little less food...a little more exercise.

Souraya, congratulations on conquering a formidable foe!

AmberLee
06-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Yeah! Finally, after three weeks the scales show a loss: 5 pounds. My blood sugar is in better control, and I've lost a little over 3 inches from my waist! Minor improvements elsewhere, too.

The surgery is scheduled earlier than I expected: we just set it up today that it will be the morning of Wed. 26 June. I did want more time to prepare, but as I've been so nervous about it perhaps it will be just as well to get it over with.

6/3: 15 minutes on treadmill (tried to take a yoga class; teacher recommended I not as I couldn't keep up. :( )

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-04-2002, 12:34 AM
WAY TO GO EVERYBODY!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!! ME TINKY AND the big JUPE ARE ROOTIN FER YA!!!!!
http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/kao/otn/pdevil.gif http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/kao/otn/pdevil.gif

Former User
06-04-2002, 02:19 AM
Oh AmberLee, I'm so happy for you, welldone!!!
Try not to worry about the surgery (I know, easier said than done), it will go just fine! If you need to 'talk' to someone, I'm a very good listener :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-05-2002, 08:22 AM
Good Job, Amber Lee! That is good progress.
Logan, haven't seen your record here for a while. Given up already? :D :D

Popcornbird, good luck to you. Remember consistancy and time are the only way to loose weight effectively. Fat weighs less than your actually flesh. So, even though your scale only says 3 pounds, that will be 3 pounds of fat!

I am e-mailing wolflady some recipes and tips. E-mail me if you would like some too. [email protected]

lynnestankard
06-06-2002, 05:21 AM
I've been reading and lurking here - I'm really getting to think I could do with a bit of exercise too! ONLY THINKING! Have to be a bit careful with my knees and hips.
Really impressed that your all still in there - although - LOGAN where are you?!
Carry on with the good work! Keep the reports coming.

Lynne

AmberLee
06-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Ooh! Recipes from Souraya "Brink of Blabbermouth Club" herself? ;) :cool: Count me in! E-Mail coming!

Edwina's Secretary
06-06-2002, 03:26 PM
AmberLee I thought of you last night. The instructor for my exercise class on Wednesday refers to herself as "a drill sargent on speed." I have taken classes from her for years and she is funny and cute as a button but......slackers need not apply. It is always in fun but I do feel myself not wanting to incur her silly looks.

Perhaps Livvy could be dressed up in an appropriate outfit (I can't decide -- Patton or Jane Fonda -- in her workout phase) and do the honors???

AmberLee
06-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
...Perhaps Livvy could be dressed up in an appropriate outfit ...

Hee, hee, hee. Well, maybe not. Livvy takes a dim view of Mommy touching her sacred body to apply 'hooman clothes'. :eek: My walking in place with weights, 'sweatin to the oldies', and twisty exercise stand work outs (I use the cat's tree to keep my balance) get fascinated attention from both my little drill sergeants, though, so you may be on to something...

AmberLee
06-07-2002, 12:17 AM
Good Job, Amber Lee! That is good progress. ... I am e-mailing wolflady some recipes and tips. E-mail me if you would like some too.

Thank you for the encouragement and for the recipes. I just took the time to glance at one of them, tomorrow is my short day at work and I really am looking forward to going over them all then!

They look great.

P.S. Sorry you got the error message: both your emails came through fine on my end. I've no idea what happened. E-mail Mystery for the X-files! ;) :D

zippy-kat
06-15-2002, 05:17 PM
I think she looks a lil' like Richard Simmons--whatcha ya think?

AmberLee
06-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
I think she looks a lil' like Richard Simmons--whatcha ya think?

Hee, hee, hee

Rachel
06-16-2002, 08:26 AM
Souraya, thanks for all your encouragement and Zippy we need all the :D :D :D we can get.

Lynne, you mention having bad knees. I have them as well. When I was looking for another exercise to use in addition to my treadmill, I discovered the recumbant bike. Where using a regular stationary exercycle was hard on my knees, the different positioning of the recumbant bike doesn't bother them. Of course losing the weight would probably be the best thing that I could do for my knees.

If I could just cut out the sweet treats (ice cream and cookies), I know that combined with what else I am doing, I would lose. For me, this battle needs to be fought more at the grocery store. If it isn't in the house, I can't eat it. This is not a good week for me as both ice cream and cookies jumped into my shopping cart.
Forgive my musings...just trying to kick start myself into a different frame of mind. I think this is the cyberspace equivalent of the old lady talking to herself.

Pam
06-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
both ice cream and cookies jumped into my shopping cart.

http://plauder-smilies.com/lach.gif Don't you just hate when that happens! You are oh so right. The battle does also need to be waged at the grocery store. If I lived alone I could probably do it, but others who live here complain if there is no junk food in the house. Maybe if there was some way I could lock up the bad stuff and not be told the combination. Anyone ever hear of a refrigerator safe?

4 feline house
06-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Rachel, amen to the recumbant bike! For decades now I have had unexplained progressively worsening pain in my legs. I had to quit jogging, which I loved, then I had to quit walking, which I loved, then it was to the exercise bike, which I hated but no problem becuase soon I had to give that up! Then my employer began offering subsidized club memberships, and they had a recumbant bike. I loved it! That was three years ago and I am still doing it. My employer relocated and I didn't, so the club membership went away. No problem, I saw a stationery bike in someone's yard with a sign that said "if you can fix it you can have it". I took a quick look and realized it was the tension that was broken and could be easily fixed, so I took it home, romoved the seat, and put a chair behind it so that I have my own little makeshift recumbant bike! I'm saving my money to get a "real" one, but in the meantime this is a perectly good substitute!

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-17-2002, 07:40 AM
You guys crack me up!

Rachel, here's a tip: DON"T GO GROCERY SHOPPING! Let your husband do it or someone else in the family.

Randi
06-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Trying to find some vegetarian recipees, I came across this site. Have a look!

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/metric/rtichkSpinchLsgn.asp

DoggiesAreTheBest! I agree, sending your husband to do the shopping will most likely work, he will NOT come back with anything not on the list!! At least not mine, he can't get out of the supermarket fast enough! - NO surprises at all! :rolleyes:

Good luck everybody! ;) You can do it!! :D