PDA

View Full Version : Belle's chewing her nails again

VTJess03
06-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Just curious if anybody else has observed this behavior. Belle will chew her front toenails (and dewclaws) as short as they would be trimmed. The back ones don't seem to grow as quickly, but I haven't had to trim them either (she may chew them too, but I've never seen her do it). I have to trim Maggie's, and she hates it. Do you think I could convince Maggie to mimic this behavior? :D

Dorothy39
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
My Son has a Springer/Lab mix who chews her front nails as well.

She will be laying on the couch at times, selecting one to chew on.
I don't know if she has caused this, but one of her toe nails has split half-way up. She was taken to her Vet a few days ago to have it checked out. My son was told that her nail will just have to grow back.Have you ever noticed this on Belle?

Her nail was nearly pulled off.

VTJess03
07-05-2006, 09:10 AM
No, I've never noticed any splitting. She just takes them down nearly to the quick.

Dorothy39
07-05-2006, 09:28 AM
No, I've never noticed any splitting. She just takes them down nearly to the quick.
wow,

You are lucky not to have to clip her toe nails. Maybe your dog Belle and my son's dog, Lillie, are smarter than we realize. Lillie takes care of her front paws, they never have to clip them.

Lillie must have chewed into the side of her nail by accident., then, caught it on something while running. I am Happy to report that her nail is mending nicely.

I enjoyed the picture you posted of your darling Belle.

lv4dogs
07-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Nanook chews his nails too. Granted he chews them less often as he is aging but he's done it his entire life.