PDA

View Full Version : Work Commutes

cmayer31
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
4:30 PM hit and I was ready to take off out the door as normal to head home, but on my way out I had to pick up some supplies. The cashier asked me for my area code, a customer tracking type thing, and when I gave it to her she was surprised that I drive as far as I do for work.

Anyhow, I drive 30 miles each way for work and hate every minute of it because it is all stop and go traffic. It takes between an hour to two hours to get either to the office, or home mattering on traffic. I do it because I enjoy my job, most of the time, and because I have a good foot in the door for future advancement if I make that my goal.

Anyone else have a lousy commute? Do you do it because you enjoy the job, or because it has become habit?

I can’t imagine what I would do with the time saved with having a short commute again; probably spend more time with Riley, and that’s way better than sitting in traffic. Then again days like today are the worst; a fire has the freeway shut down and it’s a holiday weekend, so I just went back upstairs to my office and caught up on some long missed PT. :)

Kater
06-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Let's see...
16.2 miles to school from home
13.3 miles to work from school
22.5 miles to work from home

So a few days a week I drive a 52-mile round trip triangle across the island, otherwise it's 45 miles or 32 miles round trip (in horrible city traffic).

I know why I do it, but sometimes I wonder....

RedHedd
06-30-2006, 08:14 PM
18 miles each way to work and back. In San Francisco commute hour traffic it can take as little as 25 minutes and as much as 90 minutes, depending on the traffic. I do know some shorcuts, but some days I get stuck. I do it because I love my job. I've been commuting there for over 12 years, so I've got my routine down pat.

slick
06-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't know what it is in miles but I drive about 19 km to work. Depending on which route I take, it could take as little as 30 min or as long as 50 min. There is also alot of construction going on all over the Lower Mainland in prep for the 2010 Olympics so that makes the journey that much more frustrating. Thank goodness for my collection of CDs. I just plug one in and sing along......with the windows closed, of course. :D

Cookiebaker
06-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't know how many miles it is, but it only takes me 14 minutes to get to work. :cool: There are 4 different routes that I can take, so if I get stuck behind a slowpoke, I just change my route. Or if they turn off, then I keep going. I don't have a bad commute at all!

VTJess03
06-30-2006, 08:43 PM
For the past several months, I have been driving about 90 miles each way (1 hour 45 minutes). I'm pretty much used to it now, but on really bad days I have to be there at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning and stay past 4:00 pm. I do love my job, and it is only when I have jobsites out of town that I have to drive like that (it's just happened to be that this has been the case since last October or November--3 or 4 different jobs). I don't drive to an office everyday, nor is there ever any amount of traffic to speak of, thank goodness, and they have been letting me use a company vehicle, so that wear and tear is not on mine. :)

Suki Wingy
06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
No but my mom hates her 1 hour drive/ train/walking trip so she's looking for a new job. My barn will be 45 minutes when I switch there. Two families have an hour and they own horses! That means after school she has to drive 2 children up to each ride their horses and then an hour back, and they have to do this several times per week. Another father has to drive his daughter just as far for them to both ride. My parents think they have lost their minds.

Vela
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
It takes me about 30 seconds to get to work, but man, I sure hate the traffic on the stairs when the dogs try to beat me to my office!

Hehe kidding, sorry you guys have such long treks, sounds crappy.

K9soul
06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
It takes me about 30 seconds to get to work, but man, I sure hate the traffic on the stairs when the dogs try to beat me to my office!

Hehe kidding, sorry you guys have such long treks, sounds crappy.

I guess I have it easier... no stairs for me :p. But I have a couple good trippers myself..I've been known to stumble over excited squirming dog bodies as I try to get to the workplace ;).

My Mother-in-law drives close to 2 hours one way to the Twin Cities every day, and has for almost 30 years :eek:

Bengalz
06-30-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't know what it is in miles but I drive about 19 km to work. Depending on which route I take, it could take as little as 30 min or as long as 50 min. There is also alot of construction going on all over the Lower Mainland in prep for the 2010 Olympics so that makes the journey that much more frustrating. Thank goodness for my collection of CDs. I just plug one in and sing along......with the windows closed, of course. :D

My situation is the same - I commute over the Lions Gate everyday. Some are good, some are not so good. Hence, I plug in the tunes and party on. HOWEVER, now I'm thinking maybe I should OPEN those windows - maybe that'll clear the traffic LOL. Thanks for the good idea Slick!!

RICHARD
07-01-2006, 03:00 AM
14 miles one way...on the eve of a holiday..

a 40 minute drive takes 2 hours. :mad:

Aspen and Misty
07-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Has anyone heard the horrible rumor's about Atlanta Traffic??? THEY ARE TRUE. Nothing like going 20 miles and hour on a 12 lane highway during rush hour.

If I am leaving within 2 hours either way of Rush hour it can take me 1 hour and 45 minutes to go about 16 or so miles (fun!). However, most of the time my commute only takes 20 mins. People at my work think I'm nuts, but I love my job and all the pets so much that I could never imagine leaving!

Ashley