PDA

View Full Version : betta questions

lute
06-30-2006, 01:48 AM
i was at a pet store the other day looking at the bettas. i saw what looked to be a copper colored betta. like the color of a penny. i've never heard of a betta being this color before. is it rare?

also, how do i go about looking for a betta breeder? i would like to get a really nice male betta, but don't know exactly how to find a good betta breeder.

thanks! :D

flamepony12
06-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I got Dante & Destry from LuvMyBetta.com/Jenn.. Nice person, Great prices, Amazing fish. :)

Roxyluvsme13
06-30-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree with Devon. I loooove her bettas, and someday when I can spawn I can hopefully buy some :).

IRescue452
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Copper is common around here, mustard gas usually. Bettas come in almost every colour and combination you can dream up.

lute
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
i was on that website flamepony12 gave me and it said "there were quite a few curvy spines that had to be culled." does this mean they have to kill them?

IRescue452
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, the fish aren't going to be healthy and/or live much longer with curvy spines. They were probably already suffering.

binka_nugget
06-30-2006, 04:45 PM
i was on that website flamepony12 gave me and it said "there were quite a few curvy spines that had to be culled." does this mean they have to kill them?

When a betta breeder says "cull", it can mean that they either actually do kill it, or simply remove it from their breeding program. I had one baby that couldn't close his mouth. He swam, ate, and functioned just fine though. I would have culled him, but not killed him. He would have been adopted out for the price of shipping only to someone who wouldn't breed him. But unfortunately, he was one of the babies that died from ich. :(

bckrazy
06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Actually, I had quite a few bent spines in my last spawn (around 12, I think), and all of those Bettas grew up just like any and were just as healthy. Bent spines can be the result of a number of things; not just genetic. Almost any domesticated line of long-finned Bettas has bent spines here and there, as long as they are not severe it isn't an issue at all.