PDA

View Full Version : idots should not decorate!

cali
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
we have been slowly renovating my house and noticing things. I am now convinced that idots she be rquired to hire a decorater lol lets see some of the ugly stucko ceiling has started cracking and collapsing, when I peeled away some of the icky ceiling, there was this beautiful ceiling undernieth! then I looked down at the kitchen floor near the door where Misty has dug right through to the baseboards..only they are not baseboards, nope the person just tossed wood over top of some really nice flooring, and tiled over it with these hidious black and white tiles(those we got ride of a while ago) then today we were removing the ugly black and white striped wallk paper from the bathroom, and I was cleaning the stuff off a shelf, I thout they just wallpaper over an ugly white peice of wood, but some of the paint came off with the wallpaper, underneith the paint? an absolutly beautiful oak finnish! what in heavens name were these people thinking? good grief when you remove all the crap they did this place is actually rather nice! , when I asked my mom what kinda idot would paint over then wallpaper over a gorgous oak finnish my moms response was "a man" lol

jenluckenbach
06-30-2006, 05:08 AM
LOL!! But now you have uncovered buried treasure. :D

Samantha Puppy
06-30-2006, 08:11 AM
I feel for you. But look on the bright side, at least you're uncovering nice things. With each home improvement Josh and I make in our current house we discover exactly how lazy the previous owners were. In our bedroom, they put 4 layers of border up - one on top of the other, some with paint in between the layers. Aidan's room had 3 layers of border. Our bathroom is double wallpapered.

I just don't get why, if you're going to IMPROVE your home, why people take such horrible short-cuts? If I did that, I wouldn't feel good about it, I'd think I was a lazy bastard!!!

I can't wait to get out of here and have a big, blank slate to decorate as my own.

catnapper
06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
LOL... my house was much the same. My old neighbor bought a "new" old house. She was told the floors under the wall to wall carpet were in bad shape. Well she pulled up what she called the "Papa Smurf Blue" carpet and found the most elegant inlaid oak flooring! Not only was the fllor geogeous, it was PERFECT. Not one human foot had touched it in 60 years... no pet stains, no human spills, nothing.

Trust me, when working on my own home, I have found many MANY things that made me say WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!? We found GORGEOUS oak steps hidden under baby poop green shag carpeting.

cyber-sibes
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Isn't is nice to discover you have a little jewel underneath it all? We completely refinished our old house - all 8 layers of wallaper, old crappy linoleum, old crackled varnish....and it turned out beautifully!!!!! It was even featured in a museum show on contemporary bungalow living! Have fun!

Russian Blue
06-30-2006, 10:55 AM
....when I asked my mom what kinda idot would paint over then wallpaper over a gorgous oak finnish my moms response was "a man" lol

:D That's funny. But I do know what you're going through.

We have been slowly renovating our house. We purchased a 100 year old 'handyman special' since the neighbourhood is beautiful and Rob needed a project to work on. :rolleyes: And when we bought the house the former owners had painted the kitchen floors and stairs with outdoor green paint ( :eek: ) the walls were a mix of yellow ( :eek: ) and turquoise ( :eek: ). Lucky we can see past the cosmetic flaws since this house will be beautiful once we finish (if we ever finish.....). ;)

Instead of a nice relaxing weekend coming up, we are stripping stairs! But guess what? Not only did they paint the stairs once but there is 6 layers of paint. Green, white, turquoise, pink, lime green and black is the final layer.

When we finish we will use a dark stain on the steps and paint the rest an antique white. We may place a runner up the stairs, not sure yet.

Here's the current picture....we're slowly seeing progress

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/2006%20Home%20Reno/StrippingStairs.jpg

kuhio98
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
My sister bought a house that was built in the 70's. It has a brick fireplace with a wood mantle. The bricks and mantle had been painted white by the time they bought it. One day her doorbell rang and a guy introduced himself as the one who had built the house. He did most of the work himself. He was just dropping by to visit so my sister and her husband invited him in. He just about cried when he saw the fireplace and mantle. Turns out the mantle was a special order (from Asia) huge slab of teak. He said it was gorgeous. Sis hasn't gotten around to carefully stripping all the paint off of it yet.