PDA

View Full Version : My Boy Rudy!

MaHilts
05-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Good evening everyone,
Wanted to introduce myself as I am the new kid on the block. We have just added a new puppy to our family and I wanted to find folks with the same concern for animals as I do. Well, on checking out this great site I know that I have made an excellent choice.
If I may let me tell you about my lovely boy. He is 3 months old and even at his tender age stands up to the middle of my thigh. He is the most gorgeous boy and is the talk of the town. The breed is "Maremma" and they are bred for livestock protection but have proven to be wonderful companions for special needs people. We have a child who is and Rudy is his special friend. I have never seen a more laid back, and extremely calm pup in my life. He is a pleasure to have around and I just wanted to share my good fortune with others. If anyone out there knows of this breed I would love to hear from them.
Thanks and keep up the great work on here ...

Pam
05-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk!! You have stumbled across a terrific web site as everyone here will testify. We would love to see a picture of Rudy if you could post one and would enjoy hearing more about him. I just did a search to see what your puppy may look like and came across a Mareema Sheep Dog. Is that the same as Rudy? Here's the picture I found:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images7/Maremmas_LionhillSheepFarms.jpg

I have never heard of this breed before but they look so huggable and lovable!

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2002, 11:49 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk MaHilts. I hope you like it as much as I do. I'm not familiar with this breed. Please post a picture so we can see what your puppy looks like.http://www.ublondes.net/smilies//kitty%20smile.gif

zippy-kat
05-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Welcome and congrats on the new puppy!

We LOVE pictures *hint, hint* lol;)

Former User
05-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Warm welcome from me too! You will love it here! And will get addicted probably...:D

Gio
05-16-2002, 03:54 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk from me too! :D I certainly have heard of the breed, I'm not sure but this breed might originate from over here. Maremma is an area in Tuscany. Maremma sheep dogs are beautiful dogs but they grow so much :D Can't wait to see a picture of Rudy!

lynnestankard
05-16-2002, 04:26 AM
Big Welcome from me too MaHilts - sure you'll become as addicted as we are!!! To keep the nagging thread going (!) pics of Rudy would be fantastic!!! If he's anything like as cute as Pams pic., I reckon we're in for a treat.

Lynne

jennifert
05-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk MaHilts!! And congrats on your new addition Rudy! I can't wait to hear more about him and see some pictures.
My name is Jennifer and I'm the proud mom of Duncan, a mutt I adopted from the local shelter almost a year ago when he was 6 months old.
He is a very big dog and I've discovered that they are a unique challenge in themselves.....Perhaps we can help each other learn...

You will love it here! :D

Ann
05-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Welcome welcome MaHilts! :)

I haven't heard about the breed either, but if the breed is the one that Pam posted, then boy are they cute!!

Would love to see photos of your doggie ;)

MaHilts
05-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi Everyone,
What a treat to come on-line and read all your wonderful messages.
Pam you sure threw me for a loop, while reading your message I thought to myself "How did she get my baby's pic on here?" Yes, that is what my Rudy looks like! Aren't they darling?
This breed does in fact come from Italy, the correct name is "Maremma-Abruzzese". They are bred protection dogs specifically for sheep but have proven to be, as I said, great companion dogs. This "little" fellow is everything that is written about them. I have only had him for almost 2 weeks and already he displays strong bonding with all of us. Seems to be a little standoffish with strangers that come around but will check them out if he sees us talking to them. Rudy was born on a sheep farm and right from birth he has run with the sheep. I thought that I would have some trouble as he hadn't ever had a collar on, let alone walk on a leash!! He has totally blown my mind because in the short period of time, he appears like he has used them all of his life. Most people who question me about him look at me like I have lost my marbles when they learn he is so young, as he appears like a much older dog both in his actions and and size.
Hey, can't you tell....I am so in love I feel like I could burst! LOL
Sorry to say though at the present time I don't have a camara to send you some pics but I plan on getting one in the very near future and share with you kind folks his loveliness. For the time being you will have to listen to my bragging!!
I think you are right, I am going to love it here ....thank you all :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-17-2002, 12:37 AM
WELCOME MaHilts..........
I am so glad you have found a sweet puppy to share your life with. I have never heard of that breed before but they sure do look like big cuddle bugs. I am going to have to check them out some more myself, you have me intrigued to learn more about them. I am so happy to hear you love him so much,, stories like yours just make my heart melt. Wishing you and Rudy MANY MANY HAPPY YEARS together!!

MaHilts
05-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Hi Everyone,
Just checked my mail and was so excited to see that I had recieved a pic through e-mail from my daughter with a pic she scanned of my Rudy, taken on Mother's Day week-end.
Rudy was all tuckered out from all of the attention he was given by all of my grown up children and neices.....that is his little friend he got to keep him company when he came to live with us.....:D .
As I get some more I will certainly share them with you all.
Isn't he a doll?? And what a size for 3 months eh? :eek: Thank you all it feels great to be a part of this wonderful " family" with you.

Ann
05-17-2002, 08:12 AM
I don't see any picture! :(

You will need to attach it to your post so we can see it, pleeeeeeeeeease!!

MaHilts
05-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I am so new to this all. Please bear with me one way or another I will get this pic to you!!!!!!
After I bring up the pic on browse.....what do I do??:o

Pam
05-17-2002, 08:54 AM
After you have located it on "browse" just click to post as always. It will come up as an attachment rather than a photo on the page. To display a photo on the page, your picture must be on a website somewhere. We have found a couple of sites that allow us to store our photos and share them with our Pet Talk friends. If you get that far, we'll be happy to help, and again Welcome Aboard!

MaHilts
05-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Hope this works this time....I am new at all of this!!!

MaHilts
05-30-2002, 12:23 AM
Hello all,
Sorry I haven't been able to get on-line lately, more so I am sorry I am having trouble with posting a pic of Rudy. Probably because it was one that my daughter scanned at her work. :( . Well anyway I will fill you in on my boys latest progression.
I am so happy with this "little" guy, he is adapting very well with his bonding to the family and is training exceptionally well. For his young age he is following commands like an old pro. On reading up more of this paticular breed (Maremma) it seems that he is doing things and has the temperment of a typical Maremma.
He is the funniest ball of white fluff I have ever come across.
He has recognized the different personalities within the household. Knows that Dad gives the greatest walks, and is ever so gentle with our young son.
People who see him are amazed with how obedient he is already and I might add for a puppy his age that come out of the fields with the sheep and into a house where he is treated like the royal prince he is loving every moment of it:D .
Anyway I will stay in touch with you all and when I can get some pics out to you, you will see the little darling that has captured our hearts.
Greetings to you all,
MaHilts

krazyaboutkatz
05-30-2002, 12:49 AM
It sure sounds like Rudy is a great puppy. I can't wait to see his pictures. Thanks for the update.:D

sammi
05-30-2002, 05:17 AM
Hi! And welcome to Pet Talk. Your Rudy sounds like a sweet pup.
You might be able to E-Mail someone on here and they can post your picture. I haven't tried to post pictures yet so can't help you.
About how big is your dog (and weight)?

anna_66
05-30-2002, 08:09 AM
He sounds like an absolutely wonderful dog! I can't wait to see some pics! Oh and by the way, "WELCOME!"

MaHilts
05-30-2002, 04:01 PM
Hello there all,
Thanks so much for your replies. It is great to hear from you all. Rudy truly is a wonderful "little" guy and we are enjoying him with all his antics. Honestly though he is the most laid back, calm, and gentle pup I have ever witnessed. Comes with the breed I am told.
Rudy is approx. 32in. tall (to his back) is 36in.long from nose to backside and weighs in at about 50lbs. now. Can you imagine what he will look like when he is full grown. His father is one of the biggest dogs I have ever seen so I guess he takes it from him. I have always loved big dogs and I sure guess I got one with him:D .
It is too bad that my beautiful cat "Nonie" passed just prior to us getting him. She was a pure seal point siamese, but with a birth defect of the growth of an extra set of ears. She was lovely and quite different looking though because the weight of her ears pushed her face down, the closest we came to discribing her was she looked like a gizmo. :eek: . She was a darling and we miss her terribly.
Well, Rudy and I send our best to you all till next time.
MaHilts