PDA

View Full Version : Just Thinking out loud

DrKym
06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I was teaching a class today and found my mind wandering, happens this close to summer break.

Ever notice how much communities have changed? It used to be that we all belonged to the neighborhood we were raised in with the kids we grew up with and the families our parents socialized with with in laws and parents a daily part of life, then we began to move and leave those things behind and families became farther apart distance wise. Email replaced sunday visits and pictures replaced laps.

Nothing wrong with this just a different way to connect, as I let my mind follow this it occured to me that online communities became true families for some and an integral part of life for others. Like with all families some of them are great and fun to be around some we only visit when we have to and others we dont talk to anymore.

I just wanted everyone here to know that it is a wonderful community and I am blessed to be a part of it.

To those in my community that are in pain I send prayers and my hope that soon you will find comfort, to those celebrating lifes Joy thank you for including us and allowing us to share, to those dealing with grief, my heartfelt sympathy and sincere hope that it will fade in time, to those that give of themselves so that others benefit Thank You , for the example to live by and the example that our children can follow.

anyway just thinking out loud
Blessed be,
Doc

sirrahbed
06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh yes, times have changed so much and I often long for "good old days". Hubby and I talked about this just last night. We both grew up in military families and so while we did not live near extended family or around the same people for very long - we both miss the times of sitting in the yard while neighborhood families gathered on their lawns, porches - and kids played games in the street while parents visited.

I am also so very thankful for my online community PetTalk. This is the first place I come each morning when I wake up and usually the last thing I do at night before I head to bed.

I lay awake often when someone here is having a problem with something. I wait for new PT babies like they were nieces and nephews:) I have been blessed to be able to meet several PT friends in person and we are planning another trip to see a PT friend sometime this summer.

Online communities are important to many folks I think. There is always the negative you hear about on the news - but thankfully there are also places that truly meet some of our social needs.

Good posting, I think :)

Dorothy39
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh my lord!!!

You took the words right out of my heart!!!! Out of my Brain, out of my soul, and out of my origin!!!!

You know who I am, I am Dorothy, I learned so much along the Yellow Brick Road, and I have met so many other Lions, tin men , scare crows along the way.

You are so young,(you really are) yet you understand a common bond!!!!

Computers are " all the go",but , nothing compares to human contact.

This one hit home for me!!!

and we all know, There is No Place LIke Home!!!!

DrKym
06-29-2006, 06:31 PM
I think we all like to feel at home, Brick road or not. :D

Dorothy39
06-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Yes!!! The Yellow Brick Road "is" our path toward self enlightenment!!!

aside from that, I understand you . You are on the right "path",

you are aware , and , you will reach others who feel the same way, those of us who know what HOME and LOVE need to feel like!!!

I understand you, I get it, you said it the best way!!!

sirrahbed
06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
uhm...did I miss something? Wizard of Oz and yellow brick road ?

:)

DrKym
06-29-2006, 06:48 PM
No dorothy is just a huge fan! :eek:

Dorothy39
06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Yes, I am a huge fan of Pet Talk.

I don"t want to "be" mis-understood. I just responded to this thread, because, I felt the same feelings'

The Wizard of Oz has nothing to do with this subject.

sirrahbed
06-29-2006, 07:46 PM
ok, thanks

I know I am getting slow - but thought I would check. I went back to re-read and wondered if a post was deleted or something. ;)

oh yes, gotta love PetTalk :D

Dorothy39
06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Thank-you for hekping me in this forum

I am addicted to Pet Talk, the people,their pets, their lives.

All of you are wholesome!!! I'm not really Dorothy at all. :eek:

Karen
06-29-2006, 08:01 PM
It's funny because this is in many ways just an extended extended family! Though some of us (the Sirrah clan, 4DogMom and I for a few) have biological family members on here, too!

When Phred (Cinder & Smokey's Dad) was in the hospital last winter, and I called to check on him, whomever answered the phone said "Are you a family member?" and I said "Close enough." She (thankfully) didn't ask me to elaborate!

Dorothy39
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, you are so right. this Pet Talk is Family Friendly , I enjoy this forum, I have never, ever, taken part in forums, I am so blessed to have been "taken in" by the Dog of the Day" this web site is so real!!!!

It is free, it is so beautiful, It connects all of us,
G0D BLESS THIS FORUM, !!!!

DrKym
06-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I am raising a baby girl for the summer due to another internet family I am part of, Her mom is battling cancer and the baby is just a yr old, her own family found reasons not to take her, (cannot imagine that ) and she would have been in foster care. So I am amazed and humbled by the amazing things that the internet can do. I am aware of the dangers as we all should be, but ppl on here truly are amazing, Karen you were one of the first to offer condolences to child you never met on the loss of a furfriend, Luvofallhorses jumped right up to help post pics of others, I am amazed and proud to be a part of this group.

moosmom
06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Doc,

This is a wonderful thread, thank you!

I don't know what I'd do without PT. In the 4 years I've been a member, all the wonderful PT members have been there for me, helping me through a difficult time while I was in Michigan, giving me their love and support during my many crises. I feel like I belong to a real family here on PT.

You guys have saved my sanity and for that I am truly grateful!!

carole
06-29-2006, 10:57 PM
My sentiments exactly too, here I am on the other side of the world, and yet i have been humbled also by the love and caring and help PT has been to me,I cannot imagine my life without you all in it, for someone who is socially shy, this is a wonderful outlet, where i can open up and be myself and share anything from my worries,secrets, to all the joys in my life, be it big or small, someone is always there for me,thank you all.

DrKym
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
It is wonderful to have so many people care and be open to being cared about, Family is genetics Friends we choose!

Blessed be,
Doc

BOBS DAD
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
This is a very nice thread...

I really don't have anything to add at this time other than to say it was a pleasure to simply read all of your posts. It helps to restore my faith in humanity to see people (from all walks of life, differing backgrounds, cultures and even countries) interact so wonderfully and in complete harmony!!!

Thank you!