PDA

View Full Version : OW! Kiara split her pads.

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Dang! Kiara just did a good one.

I threw the frisbee down the (cement) driveway. She went chasing after it, and it landed, so she landed on a dime right in front of it. I cringed and called her back to me, she happily brought her frisbee to me.

One of her toe "pads" has a thick layer peeling off it - it's not raw/bloody at all under it. It just looks like new skin. She's not limping/doesn't seem effected by it. In fact, she wanted to play more with her flippy afterwards.

Now, should I cut the flap of skin off or should I leave it be? I'm worried she'll get it caught on something and tear it farther than it should go. It looks like it was just "dead" pad to begin with.

Should I put anything on it?

Eesh.. heart attack #54353453454543543534543543, thanks Ki!

caseysmom
06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I would cut it off, my daughter got these "rips" in gymnastics on her palms from the uneven bars. The coaches would cut the rip with scissors, put on antiobiotics and wrap. I think that would work for her too because it probably hurts just hanging off.

Shelteez2
06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
If there's something I know it's pad injuries. Clipse is always ripping his off (he runs too hard). If the piece of the pad is hanging there then I cut it off. I keep the wound as clean as I can.... usually by soaking in epsom salts. If it's really deep (and he's had some doozies) then I will put polysporin on it and bandage it. Likewise if he is really limping then I will bandage it just to take the pressure off.

Since her's doesn't sound too bad I would just cut the dead part off clean it and let it be. Just clean it a couple times a day for the next two days and she will be just fine. :)

slleipnir
06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
A dog at flyball totally ruined her paws by running on ice one year...They had to wrap them and eveyrthing, but she didn't seem too bothered (other than she couldn't run for a while)

DrKym
06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Melaleuca oil, works wonders! ;)

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. -cringes- I may have to get my dad to cut it for me.

Funny thing is, my feet are HORRIBLE from being on them 24/7. They are all peely and I can easily just rip/cut a piece of skin off my foot.. but when it comes to Kiara's I'm scared to!

I guess it's just because I KNOW how much it can hurt and I know when to stop if it hurts too much.

Ki is already so scared of me touching her paws and going near them with anything resembling clippers because she hates her nails clipped!

I took a few pictures of it.

.sarah
06-29-2006, 06:21 PM
It's not hanging judging from the picture so I would clean it and wrap it for a while and let it heal. My dogs have done it before, I only cut it off if it's hanging and if not then I clean it and wrap it for a day. After that I remove the bandage and clean it often. This is what my old vet reccomended.

zoomer
06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
It's not hanging judging from the picture so I would clean it and wrap it for a while and let it heal. My dogs have done it before, I only cut it off if it's hanging and if not then I clean it and wrap it for a day. After that I remove the bandage and clean it often. This is what my old vet reccomended.

Uh-huh, I agree with Sarah.

Husky_mom
06-29-2006, 06:24 PM
OUCH!!..............it seems like it would hurt but if shes not acting hurt then i think it doesnt ;) , i could not do it myself either, hope everything goes well and she doesnt gets sore.........hugs Ki.........

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm going to cut what us hanging and then clean and wrap it.

It's hanging enough to where I think it'll either catch on something and rip off or die and rip off.

For those who have had dogs do this.. do they grown back like normal? Her pads were so nice and soft before. :(

sabies
06-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Ouch Kiara! Get well soon!

.sarah
06-29-2006, 06:34 PM
My dogs' pads grew back normally but they have very rough pads.

cyber-sibes
06-29-2006, 06:34 PM
If she does this occasionally, invest in some booties. I keep a set around because Star has injured her pads several times. Then you don't have to worry about her ripping it off or stepping into yucky stuff & getting it infected. (I got mine at dogbooties.com: very reasonable. Some pet stores carry them.)
Get better soon, KI!

Cinder & Smoke
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm going to cut what is hanging and then clean and wrap it.

... do they grown back like normal?
Her pads were so nice and soft before. :(

Careful with the cutting ... chances are some of the pad at the "attached end"
is still alive - and may have nerves --- might HURT if you cut too close!

Grow back like nornal??
YES, they will!!

But it will take some TIME - and she'll have to "go easy" on the feet while they heal!
The "new pad" starts out soft and tender - it takes time to "toughen up".

I'd guess she's been doing a LOT of skid-stops on concrete or asphalt --
kinda tough on even the toughest pads!

Till her feet are completely healed - don't let her run hard / stop hard on
paved surfaces - no matter how badly she wants to!

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Till her feet are completely healed - don't let her run hard / stop hard on
paved surfaces - no matter how badly she wants to!

Do you know what do you're talking about?

It'll be easier said than done, that's for sure.

Do you all think swimming would be okay? We've been doing less swimming and more frisbee lately.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Poor Ki. Tango does the exact same thing constantly. I don't have any more advice for you, as I'd just say the same as everyone else but yes, the skin does grow back eventually and looks normal. Its really hard, I know, but she can't play much frisbee or run much until she heals up because when it starts to grow back it's really soft and she'll just hurt her pads again.. Swimming should be ok though.

Cinder & Smoke
06-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Do you know what do you're talking about?

Do you all think swimming would be okay?

Yuppers! :p
We've had a couple torn / cut / de-skinned pads over the years ...
the "Victim" was never happy about the reduced activity level -
but they sure heal up Faster when the Patient gives em a chance!

Swimming should be fine -
as long as she doesn't "claw" her way out of the water ...
If she can just "walk" up and out it should be good exercise and
low stress on the pads.

/s/ Phred

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I diluted a bit of hydrogen peroxide - didn't want it to sting her too bad. Dabbed it with that (it bubbled a bit where the flap of pad is connected - other than that there was nothing.)

She now has vet wrap on her paw and things it's the most horrible thing in the world. She is leaving it be, but acting silly about it. She came and sat facing me while I was on the computer like she always does when she wants something. I asked her what she wanted and she put the vet-wrapped paw on my leg. :rolleyes:

She's laying behind me right now on the doggie bunkbed whining every few minutes, looking straight at me. :rolleyes:

k9krazee
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Awwww (((Hugs)))) for Kiki!

Bengalz
06-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Poor dear Kiara, that's gotta hurt sweetie!

Kay, I hope her paws feel better soon. It must be tough on you and tough on her. She's so active and not so good at staying still (just like a certain little Bengal kitty I know...).

Take care and don't worry too much - hugs, Betty

elizabethann
06-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Ouch. I hope her paw gets better. :)

I hope this doesn't ruin her modeling career. :) ;)

Tralee
06-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Poor Kiara! Hope she feels better. Lady split her paw in the middle of winter and had to get stitiches.

beeniesmom
07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Ouchie!
Hope she heals up soon!

sparks19
07-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Teddy peels skin off his pads all the time. There seems to be a big difference between skin peeling off and actually ripping the pad open. He has done both. When the skin peels off he doesn't seem to notice other than he tries to pull the loose skin off himself. I do have winter booties for him because in the winter he gets cuts that bleed but when the skin peels off there is no blood and no raw area. Just the same black skin that was under the first layer. I often wonder if it is normal for them to lose layers of skin off their feet. I say cut the extra off and then just keep it clean. Teddy continued to play day after day after the skin peeled off and it hasn't gotten worse and no more peeled off so keeping it clean should be enough. Although I wouldn't let her run on cement for a bit.

Kfamr
07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
It seems as if the skin has either
A. Fallen off by itself
or
B. fused back together with the pad???

There's no more little hanging piece and they look almost normal already. I let her swim yesterday so I guess that helped a bit? They aren't rough either. :D

zoomer
07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
It seems as if the skin has either
A. Fallen off by itself
or
B. fused back together with the pad???

There's no more little hanging piece and they look almost normal already. I let her swim yesterday so I guess that helped a bit? They aren't rough either. :D

Oh, good! :D

new mom to a veiled
07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Kiki.....you silly girl!!!! Mommy is going to have a breakdown!!!! I hope you BOTH feel better........ ;)