PDA

View Full Version : Help!

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I need help. Um I am 13, and I have been thinking latley and I just keep feeling like I should get another dog. My dog I have right now is just so happy when she plays with the neighbor dogs and I think she would be happier with another dog. What should I do? Or. How do I convince my parents to let me adopt another dog?

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Come on... Anyone got any suggestions?

lute
06-29-2006, 02:34 PM
first of al, WELCOME TO PT!! :D

we can't tell you how to convince your parents to get another dog. but when your parents are ready for another dog i suggest you look at your local humane society. you can see dogs for adoption at petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com)

good luck!

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks much!

lost_milo
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
and.... remember dogs can be costly so talk to your parents to make sure they can afford to fit another dog into your household budget.

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I am about 5 years older than you but I too was in the same position. I convinced my parents by being responsible. I now have 3 dogs to show for it.

I did extra chores around the house and made it so that my parents didn't have to do one thing doggie related. When my dog had to go outside, eat, walk, etc. I was the one to do it. And yes, picking up doggie wastes was my responsibility, too. I saved my money for the adoption fee.

Ultimately, it is your parent's decision as they are the ones who have to support financially. I was able to get a third dog and make many decisions when it comes to my dogs because I now have an income and pay for them.

Generally, if they say no.. there's a very good reason behind that choice.

lute
06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
i agree with Kay. prooving you are responsible will more than likely help.

jesse_3
06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Welcome to PT first of all...

I agree with Kay also. The best thing would be to show that you are responsible enough for another dog!

Good luck!
Steph and the crew

IRescue452
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I hope you keep an open mind about the future. In 4-5 years you might be going to college or trying to find your first apartment. You might leave your dog/dogs with your parents if they are willing to care for them while you are in school and two energetic dogs might not be something they are up to dealing with. And finding a place is hard enough with one. Maybe you can find an adult dog that is still playful now, but that you'd expect to have slowed down quite a bit by that time. An adult will probably be trained and neutered too which leaves less worry for your parents.

Lori Jordan
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I hope you keep an open mind about the future. In 4-5 years you might be going to college or trying to find your first apartment. You might leave your dog/dogs with your parents if they are willing to care for them while you are in school and two energetic dogs might not be something they are up to dealing with. And finding a place is hard enough with one. Maybe you can find an adult dog that is still playful now, but that you'd expect to have slowed down quite a bit by that time. An adult will probably be trained and neutered too which leaves less worry for your parents.
That is exactly what my Baby sister did she got a dog and now is in College and we are the ones that look after it!

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks SOOO MUCH! I WILL TRY THAT STARTING NOW! Hopfully it will work! You guys give awsome advice!

luvofallhorses
06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I was never in your boat as I have always had dogs.. but I agree with Kay. Show that you are responsible by cleaning the house, doing chores the first time being asked, etc. Good luck! :) and please know that dogs are very costly and make sure your parents know that, too. :)

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
That is exactly what my Baby sister did she got a dog and now is in College and we are the ones that look after it!
I know. But the dog I have now is VERY well behaved and I dont think my parents would want me to take her away. They love her. And they would probably get attached to a new dog too.

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I was never in your boat as I have always had dogs.. but I agree with Kay. Show that you are responsible by cleaning the house, doing chores the first time being asked, etc. Good luck! :) and please know that dogs are very costly and make sure your parents know that, too. :)
Dont worry we know the costs of a dog.And we have no problem of paying for it.

PinkPaw
06-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Any other suggestions? :D

DrKym
06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Welcome to pet talk! and if it helps here is some advice from a MOM (22 foster kids and 3 kids of my own) I adore critters however! when any of my kids wanted a pet they had to show that they were responsible enough to handle it, my son Adrian is the dad to 4 abandoned feral kittens that he rescued on Easter day, till then he hadnt had a pet of his "own" and 4 starving scared 3 week old kittens was a challenge, he stated what he could do and what he needed from us and we agreed. He has used his allowance to pay for part of their vet care and has formed a relationship with his vet. He also (we have no idea how ) beat the odds and all 4 are alive today, I dont scoop litter and I dont feed them. I also dont have to remind him. So stepping up to the plate and truly proving your commitment helps.
Proud Granny to 4 great kitties :D

Alysser
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm in your boat. I want another dog, and we have the money and the time BUT I don't think I am responsible enough to take in another dog. I do ALOT of work with Sassy but not everything and in order to have another dog I would be required to do everything, including, trimming nails,bathing,ect. I feed,walk,water,clean up poop,ect. for Sassy but as you can see there is much more to caring for a dog then just then. I *would* take another dog in a heartbeat if I were ready, but right now I still don't think I am responsible enough. So, if I did get another dog I would be punishing myself and I'm not ready. Once, I do everything for Sassy I will definatly consider it.

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks so much! I have taken each of your advice! Today I did everything I needed to do for my dog. And when my mom asked me to do it I could say "I already did it." So much nicer. Maybe this will work! Ha Ha!

DrKym
06-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Good Start! now just keep that up (it's good training for when you live on your own some day as there are no Poo fairies to help! lol wish there were laundry fairies tho :rolleyes: ) Keep up the good effort !

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Ha Ha! But I havent even brought up the subject about getting a new dog to my parents... How do I do that. Like I dont want them to think that I am going to ingnore my dog Sadie for a new one. I would NEVER EVER do that!

DrKym
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Spend some time just making Sadie your issue not theirs, walking brushing feeding etc. (yes poop scooping) then broach after a few weeks that you feel that 1 is easily handled and you are excelling at it that you would like them to consider a second one and that you will take care of it the same way you do Sadie. It always worked on us :rolleyes: can't argue logic so we always caved :eek:

BC_MoM
06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Just one thing that sometimes sucks:

Mickey loved being with other dogs, too.. but when Molly arrived (my second dog) his nose was out of joint for a months. And it still is several days a week sometimes.

Can you say selfish? lol =\

DrKym
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
BC very good point, very good. Pink you may want to think about "sitting for a dog" that Sadie knows and see if she likes sharing everything besides playtime?

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 05:38 PM
OMG! You guys have such good advice. I will try that!

DrKym
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Well BC is a pretty smart teenager and very wise!

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Ha Ha!

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Any other ideas?

GreyhoundGirl
06-30-2006, 07:39 PM
OMG i can't belive what a coincidence this is, i found PT while looking for information about getting 2nd dogs- everything about your first message matched my situation. I've been trying for over a year, just keep trying and your parents might see how dedicated you are to it.

Hopefully your parents aren't as stubborn as mine. My mom keeps saying
" What's wrong with HER!? " and " Why isn't she good enough for you anymore?! "

Good Luck!

Flatcoatluver
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
When I was 13, I was kinda in the same boat. We had T.j but he was my dad's dog. I wanted to show a dog, and T.j never really bonded with me like my he bonded with my dad(my dad also didn't want me to show him). It was really upsetting. T.j was more like a one person dog before we got a second dog. Seeing I was really upset and a natural dog lover. My parents let me buy Zoey. I naturally did all of the grooming (bathing, clipping nails and hair), picking up poop, and vacuming. After we got Zoey, T.j became more open and not a one person dog. I wish I could have adopted, but I wanted to get really heavy and showing. So it was a lot of money for me to pay for the price of the puppy, vet care and all of the supplies. So yes I agree adopting will be a lot cheaper and if I do say so myself, the dogs that come from shelters are one of the best dogs.

PinkPaw
06-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks alot guys! It sounds like I really can do this! Ha Ha!