PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Water Conditioner?

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Isn't there like a way you can remove the chemicals out of tap water by letting it sit for 24 hours or something? Water conditioner is just so expensive..

Husky_mom
06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
actually for my bettas i do have water conditiner but i let the water rest for the night before i do water changes and every two or three weeks i do add conditioner but it really lasts a LOT since you only use like a drop..... :D

Aspen and Misty
06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't know about letting the tanks sit to be honest but I'm interested to find out.

Ashley

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
If I remember it's something like letting the water sit for 24 hours and all the chemicals dissolve? :confused: Maybe I'm wrong.. I can't remember too well lately :o.

Husky_mom
06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
let me check where i saw it........brb with that

but i do read that letting water rest would let the chlorine evaporate and then it would be ok for the fishies

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 01:25 PM
let me check where i saw it........brb with that

but i do read that letting water rest would let the chlorine evaporate and then it would be ok for the fishies
Yeah, that's it! I just need to know for how long, since I have to change Cabaret's tank in a bit, and I put some water out to sit yesterday..

My Peanuts
06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
There are more concentrated types. When you go to buy more read the back. Look for the ones that only use a few drops. I have big tanks and it doesn't cost me that much. When I go home I'll try to remember to see what brand I use.

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
There are more concentrated types. When you go to buy more read the back. Look for the ones that only use a few drops. I have big tanks and it doesn't cost me that much. When I go home I'll try to remember to see what brand I use.
That's what I've heard, but I just find Water cond. a pain in the butt altogether :p

IRescue452
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
More surface area= less time for chlorine to dissapate. A 1 gallon bucket might take overnight, but a 5 gallon bucket with the same surface area might take two days. Make sense? What kind of conditioners do you use? A bottle of wardley's chlor out is $2 and lasts a long time. Thats all you need is a chlorine remover.

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
More surface area= less time for chlorine to dissapate. A 1 gallon bucket might take overnight, but a 5 gallon bucket with the same surface area might take two days. Make sense? What kind of conditioners do you use? A bottle of wardley's chlor out is $2 and lasts a long time. Thats all you need is a chlorine remover.
It's a 1 gallon thing..
I don't remember the exact name of the stuff we bought, but it doesn't last long.

My Peanuts
06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I've seen "betta conditioner". Basically, it's a small bottle that doesn't last long. I couldn't afford that stuff either!

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah. I think it was something like that. I just used the water I had let sit out and Cabaret's doing fine in it..

lv4dogs
06-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I've seen "betta conditioner". Basically, it's a small bottle that doesn't last long. I couldn't afford that stuff either!

I use betta water conditioner, it's only a few bucks per bottle. I have a 5 gallon tank and a bottle lasts me about 6ish months.

I think the conditioner is needed no matter what type of water you use? I think it has other things in it thats good for a bettas fins. Forgive me if I am wrong I am at work & don't have the bottle right in front of me.

jackie
06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Letting the water sit for 24 hours is just to let the chlorine dissapate.

I would still use a water condition anyways.

I don't find them expensive at all, maybe you should shop around and find one more suited to your budget.

flamepony12
06-29-2006, 10:43 PM
That's how we always did it-- we'd let it sit for at least 24 hours (usually longer) and that takes the chlorine out.

binka_nugget
06-29-2006, 11:09 PM
The conditioner made by Seachem lasts forever!

I use the one made by Hagen. It's most popular here and I can get it in a pump-ready container for pretty cheap. Even those large bottles last a couple months around here. I usually have around 30 bettas and it only costs a couple bucks a month

bckrazy
06-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Unless you have awesome water, you're likely to have lots of hard metals along with chlorine in your tap. A good dechlorinator removes dangerous metals & completely removes chlorine. I use Amquel & Novaqua, and age the water at least 24 hours.

Roxyluvsme13
06-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Next time I make a journey to Petsmart if they had it I was going to use Novaqua.. Why do you use Amquel, too? Does Novaqua not remove everything or something? I need more jugs to age water with, since I only have one right now.