PDA

View Full Version : New cam: First attempts in macro photography

Kirsten
06-29-2006, 04:33 AM
I got a new digicam last week, a Canon PowerShot S2. It comes with a super macro mode, and now I'm busy trying. LOL :) Insects are my favourite models at the moment, and here are the first results:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/scarabaeus.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/biene.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/spider.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/butterfly.jpg

I know I still have to learn a lot. The background's supposed to look more blurry, and I should avoid using the flash.

But at least you can see these some details of this tiny creatures! :)

Kirsten

Suki Wingy
06-29-2006, 05:03 AM
I love the spider pic. It has a nice warm glow, almost makes me want to pick up the little guy

Laura's Babies
06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Ewwwww! That are wonderful shots!!

RobiLee
06-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I have the same camera and I have not managed to get a good macro shot yet. Can you tell me exactly what it is you are doing?...LOL. I'm at a complete loss :rolleyes:

Jadapit
06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Wow, those are amazing pictures! I find insects very intresting.

lv4dogs
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
WOWSERS! Those are some great shots! I so wish I had a better camera & picture taking abilities. Thanks for sharing!

Sonia59
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Great shots Kirsten!

Discovering a new camera and enjoying it is very exciting, isnt' it? I also got a new one recently (I chose the Powershot S80) which also has a fantastic macro function (well, at least compared to the old camera I had), so I really understand what you feel exploring all the new functions :D

Those are great insects too! Except for the bee, we don't have them here! I train on flowers and other plant details instead :)

catnapper
06-29-2006, 12:15 PM
That beetle is amazing!

You have such a great eye. Keep it up, I can't wait to see what you take once you are fully comfortable with the camera!

Kfamr
06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Robin, put it on one of the manual settings and hold the macro button down. You'll be able to get the "super" macro that way.

Isn't this camera fabulous, Kirsten? :) I haven't dared get that close to anything crawling yet. :p

Almita
06-29-2006, 01:59 PM
those are great i love the spider one! with the lighting

Kirsten
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

Kfamr, I'm still trying and testing, but I saw what others did with that cam, and yes, it's great (I cannot affort a reflex camera, so I guess this is at least a good semi-professional camera).

Robin, like Kfamr has said, hold the macro button a little longer and you will get into super macro mode. I prefer the P program btw. There, you can also select the photo effect "vivid" to make the colors brighter. Use the flash (unless your object isn't moving at all), but turn it down to at least -1. Set your focus on "spot", that really helped a lot!

Kirsten

BCollie_Kelly
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow, those are great! I really like the spider one aswell as the first, very cool!

buttercup132
06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Ewwwww! That are wonderful shots!!lmao
ditto

Russian Blue
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I know I still have to learn a lot. The background's supposed to look more blurry, and I should avoid using the flash.

Kirsten

But isn't it fun to learn on a new camera? Congrats on the purchase! :D

Kirsten try adjusting your aperture settings or use the aperature priority mode on the camera. Reduce it between 2-3 and you should have a nicely blurred background. In the picture below I used an aperature setting of 3.2 and exposure time: 0.0040 s (1/250).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/beetle2.jpg

Kirsten
06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
But isn't it fun to learn on a new camera? Congrats on the purchase! :D

Kirsten try adjusting your aperture settings or use the aperature priority mode on the camera. Reduce it between 2-3 and you should have a nicely blurred background. In the picture below I used an aperature setting of 3.2 and exposure time: 0.0040 s (1/250).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/beetle2.jpg

Wow, that beetle is awesome!! :) This is exactly what I wanted for my pictures (and always failed! LOL)

I'll try those settings the next time. Thanks for your advice!! :) What camera did you use?

Kirsten

Paul
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
   Your first image of the beetle is amazing. I had no idea that details such as many of the hairs on the beetle's legs and body could be captured without a professional camera and staging.

Paul

Killearn Kitties
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow! Amazing shots, but the subjects are not nearly so cute as Luna and Lily! :D

Kirsten
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
@Paul: I was also surprised to see all the details of that beetle! I had no idea that have these reddish extensions on her head - whatever that is! :)

...but the subjects are not nearly so cute as Luna and Lily!

Well, I can see some beauty in these creatures, too, but of course they do not have my girls' sweetness! :)

Kirsten

binka_nugget
06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow! Those are fantastic photos! I think you've just convinced me to buy that camera! :)

sirrahbed
06-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Those pictures are amazing Kirsten. I think the super close-ups are always so intriguing - expecially when it is not clear WHAT the picture is taken of until a few moments of study :)

Can't wait to see kitty eyes, noses, whiskers and paws :D

shais_mom
06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I have the same camera and am in love with it.
I haven't figgered out that yet tho - will have to break out the book again!

Sonia59
06-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Well, I can see some beauty in these creatures, too, but of course they do not have my girls' sweetness! :)

Which means we will soon see nice pictures of your girls??? :D

Paul
06-30-2006, 07:03 AM
   The reddish parts extending upwards are the beetle's antennae. Because the beetle's left antenna is in focus and the right antenna is too close to the camera and is blurred the image looks real as opposed to an artist's rendering.

The reddish parts at the front of the beetle are its mouth parts. It's illogical but all insect mouth parts seem gross.

Paul

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow, those pics are amazing! I think you convinced me that I want the S2 IS...

cyber-sibes
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
:eek: wow! awesome pictures!

cloverfdx
06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Very cool photos Kirsten :D. Have fun working out all the manual settings.

Toby's my baby
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow great photos Kristen!! I love them all!! I can't wait to get my S2, hopefully it will be here today!! :D I'm so excited, I can't wait to mess with it!

Kirsten
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks! :)

@Paul: I didn't know that, that's interesting. You seem to know a lot about beetles. :)

@Toby's my baby: Did it arrive yet?

Kirsten