PDA

View Full Version : Strange!!!

catnapper
06-28-2006, 11:12 PM
I got a call this afternoon from a total stranger who saw Minette's photo in Cat Fancy. At first I was like "OMG, someone actually wants me to do a portrait!!!" (Oh wouldn't that be awesome?) then she told me that Minette was HER cat that she lost in 2003. She wanted to know where Minette was so she could come claim her lost cat! My heart was racing because I knew I could NOT tear her away from her new family -- I know they love that girl to death.

So I calmly asked her to described HER Minette. I almost jumped for joy when she said her Minette was front pawed declawed. MY Minette had all her claws (and my guys can testify to that *especially Pouncer* since they all got the tar beaten out of them whenever they dared visit her)

Now I'm terrified some other nutcase will be calling with the same story (that I have/had their lost cat). Minette definately is where she belongs. I'll play stupid if someone else comes along and says she's their lost cat. I'll say she disappeared from the house one day (she did -- into my car as I delivered her to a lovely farm half an hour away)

Thank goodness I have a million photos of her to disproove she's anyone else's cat. I have all sides of her showing all her markings.

jazzcat
06-28-2006, 11:41 PM
OMG, that is strange and I never thought about this bring out the nutcases. I hope it doesn't happen. Did it say in the magazine that she was a foster? I'm just wondering why they would think she could be there long lost cat? I mean I love my Jazz to death and know her very well but I could easily mistaken a few of our solid black PT kitties for her from just a picture. I guess hope springs eternal.

Laura's Babies
06-29-2006, 06:24 AM
If I had one that was lost that I loved, I would follow any lead and that is probably all that lady was doing. She is still searching for her long lost baby..

catlover4ever
06-29-2006, 07:24 AM
I can see where someone who lost a dearly loved kitty would call or follow any lead they could find but I can also see nut cases calling as well.

The picture in the magazine did say that Minette was a former foster, but I imagine that some people still hold out hope of finding a lost pet. I know that I do....Tobias took off one day 4 years ago and to this day I have no idea what happened to him....I still look at petfinder and shelter pictures to see if maybe he found his way to a shelter....even after all these years.

Karen
06-29-2006, 07:33 AM
How sad, but at least that lady hasn't given up hope of finding her own kitty.

kuhio98
06-29-2006, 09:26 AM
If I had one that was lost that I loved, I would follow any lead and that is probably all that lady was doing. She is still searching for her long lost baby..Me too. Kuhio has been gone almost 4 years. I never got to see her body. Part of me still thinks I see her every now and then and I have to check it out to assure myself it's not really her. Kim, I know you didn't really mean anything by the "nutcase" comment. If I thought I'd seen Kuhio in a magazine, I would call too and check out every lead. Grief and desperation will lead you to do strange things.

zoey
06-29-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm glad the cat in question wasn't your Minette!
Yay!!! :D :eek:

catmandu
06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
I do know what you mean Kim, as there a lot of odd people out there.
I often wonder if someone calimed I stole thier Cat.
Thank God they all have thier Vet Records.
If that lady is sincere, we pray she finds her Cat.

catnapper
06-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry, I meant "nutcase" in people who saw a beautiful cat and wanted it, and would claim it was their lost cat... even though they've NEVER had a grey and white cat with vivid green eyes before. I never for one minute thought people seriously searching for their lost cat was a nutcase. I was imagining people who were out to score a gorgeous cat through lies!

Laura's Babies
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Did they print your name and phone number with the picture? I wouldn't want my number out there with the world like it is today. Like you said "nutcases!".

jazzcat
06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh, it did say former foster in the magazine. I'm sure I would follow any lead too, like I said, hope springs eternal.

Catnapper - I knew what you meant about nutcases. There are some strange and just plain rotten people out there who might lie about her being there ong lost kitty. Hopefully that won't happen.

Catsnclay
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
How on earth did this woman get your phone number???!!! :eek: :eek:

That right there is scary enough for me.

I feel torn, yes, I too would do anything to find my lost pet, but then again, how do you know THIS is really hers? Good thing you asked some questions. But, now this lady knows she has all the claws........beware, you might get another phone call.

And something I just thought of............if her cat was declawed, WHY was it outside??!! :mad:

Just my 2 cents here.

sirrahbed
06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Initially I felt just like you Kim - and assumed that the lady was hasty in claiming that Minette was hers - it is so hard to really tell from a picture.

Then I read the responses here and consider that the woman probably was some owner still hoping that she will find her missing pet some 3 years later...

Just recently, hubby and I were leaving the house and saw a black and white kitty outside and we both paniced and were almost POSITIVE that it was Robbie :eek: We quickly returned to the house and hubby threw open the door calling for him.....well Robbie sleepily came from down the hall. We had a good laugh and realized that Robbie's markings were really quite different from the cat that we saw outside.

Still, I think it would be unnerving to get that phonecall from someone who saw Minette's drawing in a large public magazine. I hope that nobody else calls :)

jenluckenbach
06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
How DID they get your phone number!?!? :eek: That would be my biggest concern.

This has happened to me a couple times when one of my fosters is placesd in the newspaper (or on petfinder). People call in hopes it is THEIR lost cat. I feel badly for them when it is not. :(