PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions please.

mugsy
05-15-2002, 02:42 PM
I have always wanted a Weimaraner and the Southside Animal Shelter in Indy has one named Max who gets along well with other animals and has been neutered and shots, but still needs rabies (I think). He was supposed to be adopted this week, but the guy said he was too strong for them and didn't take him. When I talked to Rosie last night she seemed pretty frustrated and said that if I wanted him to come down and visit him and see how it goes and if it goes well I can take him home on Saturday. Oh, he also has a bad coat. My question is...should we do it??

Former User
05-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Why not? At least you can go and have a look and decide then? Ok, not much help to you, sorry....:rolleyes:

sasvermont
05-15-2002, 03:26 PM
As a child, our family had one of these dogs. It was VERY high maintenance and very high strung. It was very distructful, to say the least.

I can't say as though I had much say in the matter at the time, but the dog was given to my father because the owner was not able to control it.

They are very fit dogs and very active. Very smart as well.

Of course, each dog is different.

I would take it for a walk first!

Let us know!

Angels3
05-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Yes, I agree...it wouldn't hurt to have a look at Max. Remember, too, that dogs in Animal Shelters are often under great stress (no matter how good the shelter is) & so their potential to bloom as pets in good homes mightn't show. SpencerTheLion's comment that the state of the coat is usually fixable with diet & care is very worth considering.
Marie

Angels3
05-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Slave of 15 Dogs
Oh Marie, we are REALLY familiar with stressed out dogs at shelters!! lol All of our dogs are rescues so stress is all we know when we get them!

Hi, mugsy...I love your husband's net name! I do Tibetan Spaniel Rescue & am in touch with lots of other rescue groups. We keep finding that the rescue dogs change so much when they move into a home where there's patience & understanding of their need to learn not to fear & be anxious.

But so many people judge the dogs' temperaments when they're still under stress...& won't risk taking them as pets. If only they knew how many of these dogs change into the best pets ever when their circumstances are changed. They are often even better pets than dogs who've never been in need. (That's true of our wonderful rescue Sheltie, Danny.)

For this reason, I really like the shelters/rescue groups that use a system where the dogs are placed in foster homes... in real homes with people experienced with understanding & meeting dogs's needs. We've got a good one like this..run by a community volunteer group. It's at
http://www.fosterdogs.org

Now I'm getting off my soapbox & am going to follow the link to see Max. Thank goodness for people like you & your husband, mugsy. Gee I wish there was a bridge over the Pacific...I'd love to be working along with you guys on rescue.:)
Marie

Gio
05-16-2002, 04:54 AM
I would suggest to see how he gets along with the others and then take it from there (or take him away from there :D ) Let us know what you decide ;)

jennifert
05-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Mugs, the link you posted brought me to some German webpage? I tried it under http://www.ssasi.org and it worked. Haven't looked at Max yet but I will right now...

Well I looked. Max is stunningly beautiful...I'm sure he won't be in the shelter long.

I myself, would love to take this guy home with me!! If Aly doesn't get him first!!
;) :D

http://kobie.petfinder.org/IN91.757560.jpg

jennifert
05-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Ok, or this one....Do they just MAKE dogs cuter in Indiana or what!!! Every time I look at a website that you post Mugsy, I fall in love!!

http://kobie.petfinder.org/IN91.769471.jpg

Sorry to go off topic Mugsy. I'll stop now I promise!! ;)

Gio
05-16-2002, 08:16 AM
I finally managed to have a look at him (and spent quite a long time on the other dogs & cats too:( ) and I can understand why you are SOOOO tempted ;)

anna_66
05-16-2002, 08:26 AM
Oh Max is beautiful!!!

mugsy
05-16-2002, 08:49 AM
jennifer....you get off topic as much as you want to...I like it!! Rosie does have some cuties doesn't she. Have you tried the SPCA here in Fort Wayne (even though I won't volunteer anymore, I still want the dogs to find homes.) It's www.aspca.org and then there is the Allen County Animal Care and Control (the kill shelter here that takes in over 900 animals a month) at www.cityoffortwayne.org and then go to Animal Care and Control and click on adoptions. That's two more here in Indiana. Have you checked out Pet Refuge recently...they have some more beauties. www.petrefuge.com

Ok, I'll stop tempting now!! lol

Thanks for all your input and I will be taking Tigger (and possibly Sox) with me to Indy on Saturday to check things out. I'll let everyone know, but keep posting opinions!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Molly, ever since I can remember joining Pet Talk you have said you would love a Weimeraner. Check Max out! I think dogs in general are high matenance, some higher than others. But you know what you are getting yourself into. I can not wait to hear about your decision!

Good luck!

Cincy'sMom
05-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Max is beautiful! I love weimies, but they sure are high energy! There were 3 in Cincy's puppy class and one of them moved on to Puppy 2 with us. There is also a new puppy in our neighborhood that comes to see the girls occasionally. Check him out, I'm sure he'd be a great addition to your family!

mugsy
05-16-2002, 05:28 PM
I just want everyone to know how much crap I'm getting from Mike for posting this. He laughes hysterically and says,"You know you're going to get down there and Tigger and Sox are going to get along fine with him and you're going to have him in the car before Rosie knows what's going on!" lol

He is convinced that everything is going to go well and he'll be a Kendall by Saturday afternoon! lol

Thanks again for all your input!!

Gio
05-17-2002, 05:23 AM
You know you're going to get down there and Tigger and Sox are going to get along fine with him and you're going to have him in the car before Rosie knows what's going on

Well, to be honest a lot of us suspect that that's exactly what's going to happen :D LOL We all pretend to give you some serious advice but inside we are just thinking "Molly go and get him!" :D

mugsy
05-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Geez Gio, you traitor!! lol You're supposed to be on MY side!! hehehe

Gio
05-17-2002, 10:31 AM
LOL But I AM on YOUR side! I really want you to get that Weimeraner :D :D :D You always wanted one right? ;)

Logan
05-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Molly, as you have noticed by now.....I'm staying out of this one. Good for the dog to get out of the pound.....but I worry about you with all those dogs!!! :( That's a lot to take care of.

I will trust your decision. And I think I know what it is!! LOL! :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Mike, I am sure that Logan did not mean to offend you or Molly. I am sure she was not judging you or your wife. Don't think that she was doubting your ability to know your limits. Pet Talk knows how much you love each and every dog in your care and how well cared for they are.

Everyone here loves Molly to pieces and would never intentionally say or do anything to hurt your feelings. You are both our heros and our friends with such big hearts. This thread started off being about a possibel addition to you Pack and Pet Talk is always excited about news like that!

mugsy
05-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Souraya,

I will talk to Mike about coming back and posting...I think he just needs to cool off and have me plead a little.;) Please understand that we have been questioned to death about the number of dogs we have and it's just frustrating sometimes, compounded by the fact that just a week ago we lost 2 beloved animals and it still hurts A LOT! Mike is of the opinion (and I haven't convinced him otherwise yet) that it was his fault that this happened and he is super sensitive about questions about our dogs.

I certainly didn't start this post to make people mad, so I apologize.

I don't want to lose friends over something that was supposed to be fun and helpful. I will talk to Mike, but please respect his decision. Thanks.

I don't plan on going anywhere.:p

Logan
05-17-2002, 02:58 PM
What a shame.....I hesitated to post at all and when I did, I sent the wrong message. You did ask for an opinion, yes??

Sorry, Molly, I never meant to send the wrong message. My only point was that I would support you, whatever you decided. I have enough trouble caring for two, which is the cause of my concern for as many as you care for. It was only out of love and concern that I posted what I did, when I did. Such a shame that Mike took it all out of context. :( This has upset me more than is imaginable....I am so sorry. :(

sasvermont
05-17-2002, 03:41 PM
I think more than 1 or 2 dogs or 2 or 3 cats is too much. And I only have so much time and so money that I am willing to dedicate to pets. BUT there are some folks who are willing to go to much greater levels of care and expense. We all have our levels - and our opinions.... and I come up with my opinions based on my knowlege and willingness to dedicate.....which of course, is much lower in certain areas than in others - especially, compared to some of these MOST DEDICATED SOULS here at Pet Talk..... People like I HAVE EVER RUN IN TO BEFORE.

Hats off to all those folks who have whatever it takes, to take care of so many pets - dogs, cats, whatever..... I personally could not do it. Three cheers for someone who can manage 15 dogs or 9 cats or 15 KIDS FOR THAT MATTER! You folks are awesome!

SAS and her 2 (maybe 3) cats.......

:D :D :D :D :D;)

Cincy'sMom
05-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Ralph and I have made a decision at this point in our lives to only have 2 dogs, due to limits on funds, space and time to spend with them , and with the hope of adding from skin kids in the next few years. But that is our decision based on our circumstances. You and Mike need to make your decision based on your circumstances ( I would love to be able to house and support as many dogs as you do!) I am sure any one on PT who express concerns is only doing it for your benefit asking you to make a well thought out decision (which I am sure you will), but will love and support as many dogs as you have.

tatsxxx11
05-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Mike, Mugsy, I think Sasvermont and Logan both expressed how we all feel. We are in awe of your capacity to open your huge hearts and your home to so many needy creatures. Yes, you truly are heroes in our book! And we all know how painful your recent, most tragic loss was to you both. I'm sure having your good deeds criticized must be very hurtful. But I don't think that was Logan's intention at all. Sometimes this contraption is sorely lacking in it's capacity to communicate clearly the feeling, the emotion we are trying to convey. Eureka....the emoticon was born!:rolleyes: Without a voice, a tone, an expression, too often words can be misinterpreted. I know Logan does not need me to stick up for her. But she is a dear, dear friend whose intention I know was not to criticize but to show loving cocern for you both. I know that all of your babies are so well cared for and very much loved; each and every one. Of course we willl support you. Please know that above all.

mugsy
05-17-2002, 05:41 PM
It's ok, Mike has made his decision, and I am going to respect it and perhaps with time, he will change his mind. From now on I'm just not going to try and be cute and end up upsetting the balance AGAIN. This is supposed to be fun. I appreciate all of your concern and I shouldn't have posted this as soon as I did after we lost Butterscotch and Smokey and just gone about the business at hand. I'm so sorry this got so out of hand. I think I'll just leave it at that and bow out for a couple of days and let this all die down and spend the time with Max if all works out well with Tigger and Sox and him. I will know tomorrow sometime after noon. Bye for now.

Molly

aly
05-23-2002, 07:06 PM
I don't want to stir up the dust, but I just had to say to Molly that it is not your fault for bringing this thread up!! If I had lost two pets last week, I would be wanting to rescue another one ASAP too. It helps the grieving process to be able to save an innocent little life.

I will respect whatever decision you make on Max. And if it doesn't work out with him, I know there is another Weimeraner somewhere in this world with your name on him :D

(Please tell Mike to come back).

aly
05-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by jennifert

I myself, would love to take this guy home with me!! If Aly doesn't get him first!!
;) :D

http://kobie.petfinder.org/IN91.757560.jpg

ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(He's beautiful. I'd take him in a second)

Angels3
05-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Molly, please tell Mike he'd be very missed if he didn't post on the board...including way Down Under. I understand the enormous grief of losing 2 beloved dogs recently. That gives a context to the question you sought an opinion on & to the taking in of answers you received.
Logan gave a fair, caring opinion which concluded with a great vote of confidence in any decision or action you both would make. I'd share that same faith she has in you & Mike to always do the best by your dogs...whether a few or many. She didn't know how heartsore you were at the loss of your 2 dogs then. And my heart goes out to you both...as do others, too.
I saw a lovely dedication at the front of a book recently. The author had lost his precious Shepherd Dog, at 13 yrs of age. He wrote about his dog:
"Always in my mind,
Forever in my heart."
With great admiration & affection,
Marie