PDA

View Full Version : overweight?

dab_20
06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I think Daisy is getting quite chubby but I'm not sure if it's because she's a doe. I compare her to Hershey my neth. dwarf buck and he's thinner. What do you think?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/daisy1.jpg
(this picture doesn't do her justice because I had to enhance it twice to make it lighter)

And if you think she is overweight how do I get her to lose weight? I have already decreased the amount of food she gets.

lute
06-28-2006, 04:38 PM
looks like Oslo!LOL

she does look a little chunky. maybe get her some more exercise. she may just be sittin and munchin.

dab_20
06-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I should get her a harness and leash and take her for bunny walks! :)

Yes they both are himi Netherland Dwarves.

lute
06-28-2006, 06:45 PM
yeah, i love taking my bunny for walks. it's so cute to watch her get all excited. :D

Suki Wingy
06-28-2006, 07:41 PM
I love her markings! Much better than Oslo's. I would like to know how you get her to eat that much! You can still kinda see Oslo's hip bones a bit, I think that may be why he didn't win BIS last year. [that and he was about to molt and had bad markings] Oslo is fed 1/3 cup a day plus lots of treats but he still doesn't eat it all.

buttercup132
06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
she looks just a bit overweight but by the way shes bunched up in th croner I think she may look bigger. Getting her a harness would be a good idea. How long dose she get out everyday?

I would give her 3 handfulls of food a day,ou can reduce it even more just as long as she has unlimited tomothy hay and definatly no alfalfa hay cause that will make her fatter.

Lol and if she gets any maybe cut down on the treats.

dab_20
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Suki Wingy... you seriously think she has better markings then Oslo?? I really can't tell much difference. lol As you can tell I don't show my buns. If I did it would only be like at the fair and stuff. She loves to eat... Hershey sounds alot like Olso, never eats much. (maybe it's just does ;) )

buttercup- She acctually doesn't get much exercise unless I'm there. Although that will definatly change. I called my dad and told him we should get a harness and take her for walks... he's all for it! :) She gets carrots... will that make her gain weight? She doesn't get as much timothy hay as she should... my dad is not very reliable about these things. :o So I am going to get her a hay rack thing. She doesn't get any treats unless it's fresh veggies. Thanks for the replies!

lv4dogs
06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
My friend has rescued overweight bunnies before so I asked her for some advice.

Obviously more exercise will help.

Here's what she had to say:

Alfalfa is really high in fat and calories and is best only used
for young, ill or elderly rabbits. The food I fed Willow was Oxbow
Bunny Basics T - which is timothy hay based instead of alfalfa. If
she's not, your friend should also be giving the rabbit unlimited
timothy hay to eat - it'll keep her gut moving and should help in her
in losing a bit of weight. And if the bunny isn't spayed, that's
something to consider as well once she's at a healthier weight.
Sometimes they pack it on in preperation for litter after litter, and
once she's healthy enough to undergo the surgery, the spay may
help with reversing that process.

Good luck!

bckrazy
06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Alfalfa is definitely fattening for Buns, Timothy hay is much better for adults. Carrots have lots of sugar in them, so they should be fed sparingly. Just increase the amount of dark, leafy greens she gets, and give her pieces of baby carrots as a treat.

Miss Z
07-01-2006, 03:39 AM
One way, I found to see if rabbits are overweight is to stand behind them and put something interesting, perhaps a treat on top of something not too high, but still quite big, in front of the bunny. The rabbit will be curious and will warily inspect the object by inching forward. When they do this, if you can see their belly between their back legs, they're getting a little fat. LOL, I don't know how I found that out :p :D

A rabbit leash is a brilliant idea, although not all rabbits will wear them. My first rabbit, Bo-peep, absolutely loved it, but my second bunny Cookie, wore it whilst he was a baby, then suddenly turned against it and got really frustrated when you tried to put it on. It took a long time for me to get him accustommed to it again, but it is possible. I still have his bunny lead, I would send it to you but it's very old and tatty now as it's been in the shed for a while now and there are still marks and rips where Cookie bit it.

dab_20
07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. :)

We got Daisy and Hershey a harness and leash. They LOVE it... Hershey hops around alot (because he's pretty young yet) and Daisy just likes to hop around a little. But they have lots of fun and they like being outside without a cage around them.

buttercup132
07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Thats awsome.
Maybe your dad could buiild a outside play area with a roof over it so no little animals or cats can get into it but they would still get lots of exersise.