PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!!! I can't be sick!!!

ramanth
06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
:eek: :eek: :mad: :(

I need help!!

I can feel a cold coming on. I think one of my coworkers was sick or something. O_o

I've got a scratchy swollen throat, a cough, and that overall blah feel.

...NOOO!

Does anyone know of some remedies (old fashioned or otherwise) that I can take to help nip this in the bud?

I'm desperate.

THANK YOU!!

Queen of Poop
06-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Do your pharmacies stock Cold FX? If so get some and take it as directed, it really works.

Karen
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Get the to a pharmacy, buy some of the Zinc lozenges - they help lessen the severity and duration of the cold. Then just drink lots of tea with lemon, orange juice - vitamin C, keep drinking, get plenty of sleep and hope for the best!

ramanth
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I've been drinking nothing but water all month, so we're good there. Work has some lozenges in stock so I'm popping them.

I got up and walked around and my head feels a little clearer. I am tired, so I think that's what's hurting me.

We just had a thunderstorm blow through, so I'm hoping this is just simply a reaction to the change in air pressure.

*fingers crossed*

sasvermont
06-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Really. It works for me! You can get it at a pharmacy. It is vitamins and herbs.

Oh NO! :o

moosmom
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Kimmy,

Whenever I feel a cold coming on (same symptoms as you), I start drinking Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine. That along with Afrin Nose Spray (only used when my nose is stuffed up, of course). That usually knocks it out of me.

*doing a healthy dance* Come on Kimmy, don't get sick now!!!

((((((HUGS))))))

Donna

ramanth
06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Sas, I considered Airborne, but I thought that was something you took to keep from getting sick when in certain situations (like flights). Do you find it helps after some symptoms have shown up?

Russian Blue
06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Girl, you can't get sick now!! ;) Start by drinking lots of water and make sure to get lots of rest. It's the stress probably affecting your immune system.

* increasing your vitamin intake (multi-vitamin) and increase your vitamin C

*eat raw, freshly-crushed garlic

I know eating raw garlic sounds nasty, but Rob and I swear by it when we start to get the sniffles. Over the last 10 years both of us have probably only had 3 serious colds between us. All the others didn't last at all.

*stay away from alcohol, caffeine and sugary foods

Here's another article with other recommendations:

Natural Cold Flu Relief (http://homemakers.com/homemakers/client/en/Health/DetailNews.asp?idNews=1721&idSM=194)

Crossing my fingers for you. Go away cold, go away! ;)

moosmom
06-28-2006, 02:33 PM
*eat raw, freshly-crushed garlic

So much for kissing the bride!! :p

Russian Blue
06-28-2006, 02:34 PM

That's what I was thinking... :D

Maresche
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM

He can eat it in self defense!

A good chunk of it is bound to be stress-induced. Try to relax and give yourself as much sleep as possible (fat chance, right?). Maybe take a shower with lavendar shower gel or lotion afterwards. Should knock you right out so the sleep you do get is as good as possible.

ramanth
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
He can eat it in self defense!

A good chunk of it is bound to be stress-induced. Try to relax and give yourself as much sleep as possible (fat chance, right?). Maybe take a shower with lavendar shower gel or lotion afterwards. Should knock you right out so the sleep you do get is as good as possible.

Someone gave me lavendar shower gel as a gift recently!! They must've known... :D

Sorry about being such a drama queen about all this. :o I truely hope it's all in my head and that I'm feeling better tomorrow.

I'm worried about the garlic not wearing off before Saturday...but I just might give it a shot!

beeniesmom
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Try not to stress too much... i Know it's hard, but stress levels kill your immune system.
It may just be a 24 hr. thing.
If it helps, I hope to get it instead of you.
:)
carmen

Maresche
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Someone gave me lavendar shower gel as a gift recently!! They must've known... :D

Wise woman. Keep her around.

Sorry about being such a drama queen about all this. :o I truely hope it's all in my head and that I'm feeling better tomorrow.

I'm worried about the garlic not wearing off before Saturday...but I just might give it a shot!

This is one of the most stressing times of your life. The goal is to keep it in check and not run away with it.

Garlic spaghetti recipe--my fave, but don't do it if your dress is the slightest bit snug. You'll see why.

Cook at least 1/2 box of pasta. More if you aren't too fond of raw garlic.

In a food process blend the following until a thick paste.
6-8 cloves garlic.
3-4 Tbls butter
1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmesean cheese
Black pepper to taste
Dry Basil to taste (about 1/2 tsp.)
1 raw egg

When pasta is cooked, drain and mix with paste in large (very large) bowl. Eat immediately.

Kfamr
06-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Thera-flu usually helps me A LOT.

JenBKR
06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Airborne! Use it, it works and will keep you from getting sick! I, and several others I know, swear by it. We certainly don't want you getting sick now!!

catnapper
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
People I know swear by Zicam.

Good luck!

RedHedd
06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh no! Add some chicken soup to the mix and take Eccinachea (with or without Goldenseal). Airborne works to shorten the duration of a cold if you start taking it immediately when you feel a cold coming on.

Lots of liquids, rest and that lavendar bath stuff sounds PERFECT!

It probably is stress, so try to relax - I know, easier said than done. :)

sirrahbed
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
People I know swear by Zicam.

Good luck!

Zicam is what I was going to mention. There used to be a TV commercial for it - the bride felt a cold coming on and Zicam saved the day :)

Anyway, I keep it onhand and use it when I first feel like I am catching a cold. It is a Zinc nasal gel. Maybe worth a try.
I get mine at Kroger but have also seen it at Revco. It is about $10.

RobiLee
06-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Ohhh no, I sure hope it passes super duper quick!! Can't have you feeling bad on your big day!!!

Kater
06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Another vote for ZICAM here! I carry the Cold Remedy Oral Mist in my purse 24/7.

http://zicam.com/SymptomCheckerInput.aspx

They also have generic (cheaper!) Airborne-type products these days.

Best of luck, Kimmy!!

pnance
06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I have to agree with the Airborne. I've had friends who swore by it and last time I started feeling like a cold was coming on I tried it and the cold never developed into anything!!

luvofallhorses
06-28-2006, 11:45 PM
I hope you feel better soon!

Catty1
06-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Echinacea! Zinc Lozenges!

hugs
Catty1

carole
06-29-2006, 04:57 AM
As it is summer where you are, I was wondering if maybe it was just allergy symptons,as they are often very similar, you could always try an antihistimane to see just in case, otherwise you have been given some helpful advice, i sure hope you will be ok for your big day, HUGS.

Suki Wingy
06-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Emergen-C has been a life saver for me. It's this vitamin C powder you put in water. Kinda gross tasting but it helps.

ramanth
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Emergen-C has been a life saver for me. It's this vitamin C powder you put in water. Kinda gross tasting but it helps.
You know, I had never heard of that before until yesterday. My coworker keeps it in her office and gave me some.

I downed the glass happily and drank another this morning.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Didn't get a chance to go to the store yesterday, but will today.

I felt A LOT better this morning and then when I got to work, I felt that same "off" feeling but also with jitters. This is obviously stress and nerves.

Deep breaths!

cyber-sibes
06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Keep up with the whatever-you're doing---
I like Airborne, too. Walgreen has a less expensive home brand that works just as well, too. It probably is the stress, too. Do some deep breathing & relaxation exercises, too. Lots of those available at web sites.
Kim, I see you whole and well on your wedding day! Nothing will be overlooked, all is in divine order. :) *Kisses* with or without garlic! ;)