PDA

View Full Version : KITTEN IS BACK! Thank you for your PT prayers

Catty1
06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi, everyone:

I am typing this from home.

I went to work this morning. First thing Ted said was, "I trapped him at 3 this morning."

I went to Honey's room, opened the door and hugged and cuddled HER (I think it is a she), tears streaming down my face, telling her I was SO glad she was back, that she could spill water any time she wanted to(she and her sister like playing with the water bowl :D ), spill it all over the building, spill it all over ME. I hugged and kissed that baby.

That is the good news. The bad is that I may lose the job I have had for over two years, and LOVED. Please read on - your advice is SO much appreciated.

Ted was calm - obviously, neither he nor Holly slept much, I was awake every hour myself - he said, "You're emotional, I'm emotional...just go home and get some sleep." He said he was just blown away by how this could have happened...he felt like throwing up, was tramping through the bush thinking of their old cat Rocky who got out and was got by a coyote (all they found were tufts of fur); he felt like throttling someone, but didn't know who.

As I was leaving, he said to me: "I know you didn't do it on purpose; I forgive you." He added some other stuff...told me to drive carefully, hoped I felt better and I said the same to him.

I asked, "Are you going to call me about coming in tomorrow?" He said if I didn't hear anything, to come in tomorrow.

NOW - I know it will not be personal if I am fired. We all care for each other very much there - it is a family business.

It is a matter of principle - the kennel has a stellar reputation. And they can't risk these things happening.

I am thinking of typing a short letter and faxing it, saying that if they decide I am not continuing with the kennel, that I know it is not personal (even though I am upset and stuffy-nosed, I will be able to phrase it personally). At least they will know I UNDERSTAND if they decide to not keep me on. What do you think?

All of you who have been so wonderful - although you know me, you deserve to board your cats where this kind of thing won't happen. Yes, it was an ACCIDENT. But it's people like you who board their cats who need to know that everything is up to snuff.

I am incredibly grateful that the kitten is back.

But it could have had tragic consequences.

Anyway...thank you again. The prayers worked.

hugs
Catty1

moosmom
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Catty1,

I would wait until AFTER you do or do not hear something. If it happens that they let you go, THEN write the letter. I would guess that with your unblemished record, the most they would do is put a "letter" in your file. (don't they have to go through a verbal warning, written warning and then termination??) Firing is such a last resort, especially since you've been there 2 years and have been such a dedicated employee. They have GOT to realize that mistakes like this do happen. I hope they also realize that if they fire you, they'll have to go through the entire interviewing and training process all over again.

I'm so glad to hear that the kitten is back and no worse for wear. At least you can sleep tonight knowing that she's safe and warm.

Hang in there honey. Breath a big sigh of relief and get a good night's sleep.

((((((HUGS))))))

Donna

Catty1
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks so much, Donna. I guess I will write a draft and save it! :) It will at least help to clarify things in my own mind.

I mean - this work is really a minimum wage job - and in under two years, I went from $9 hr to $13 hr. I know I am valued.

One thing I didn't mention in the above letter (still feeling jangled) is that the home and business there is up for sale. Possession date is November 1st of this year.

The new owners may well want to keep me on. Or they may have someone in their family or employ who would embrace this as a dream job.

I am sure this will factor into Holly and Ted's decision. I must remember it is not personal - it is principle - if they terminate me.

A certain number of 'warnings' might be legal - but in the case of the well-being of living things, I understand the 'no second chances'.

At least from the start, and when Ted said he was trying to understand 'how this could happen' - I took total responsibility for the event.

This is not the same as BLAME - I didn't do it on PURPOSE, and everyone knows that. But I am RESPONSIBLE for opening the window too wide - and I didn't think. Even though I had just closed it because ANOTHER kitty was up there and sitting in the window! I acted in a literally thought-less way.

I have the gifts of more confidence in myself and my work because of working for these two people - and the gifts of two goofy and wonderful cats!

AND HONEY (the kitten) is ALL RIGHT!

hugs
Catty1

Lizzie
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree with Donna, don't write anything at this point. Considering Ted hadn't slept and was faced with both a severe strike against his business and the loss of a cat, he was very professional and reasonable in the way he spoke to you this morning. He is very angry so expect some remarks that hint that they don't trust you quite as much, or that your future with them is not as certain as it was. Just keep going in to work and do your job well, letting Ted and his wife calm down and accept that accidents happen to everyone.

Catty1
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Lizzie - I know they have to calm down - we ALL do.

The deal is - if I DON'T hear from them today, then I go into work tomorrow.

I expect to hear by the end of the day when the dust has settled a bt more.

Cole is chirping and crying at me right now!

Lovely boy!

Catty1

moosmom
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Lizzie,

Great reply!!!

Catty1
06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Actually - I was grateful and amazed at how Ted handled everything. He even alluded to tramping through the bush trying to put himself into a 'kitten's brain', and saying he 'probably couldn't think that high' :D

They feel bad, and they KNOW I feel horrible.

The people have their cat back and that is all that matters. I will get over losing a job.

Understand - I was on the road for many years as a pianist/singer, and after I 'retired' I went through many short-term 'real' jobs.

This kennel job was great - and I grew in many ways, especially getting raises and working at ONE JOB for over TWO YEARS! Even when I was being criticized or corrected, it didn't feel like that to me. I only knew I had been when Ted or Holly said, 'Okay, lecture over'.

It's what is best for the cats, which means for the business.

hugs
Catty1

moosmom
06-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Catty1,

This kennel job was great

WAS great??? :confused: Did you hear anything yet??? It sounds as though you have resigned yourself to losing your job over this. As my father always said, "Expect the worst so you're not disappointed."

Please keep us posted. BTW, I didn't know you were a pianist/singer!!

Laura's Babies
06-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I KNOW that is not a mistake that you will NEVER make again! I think they should keep you because of what you have learned through that mistake.

I am so glad the baby is back safe and well.

jenluckenbach
06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
First of all I am SOOOOOO glad the cat is safely back.

Second, don't write anything until after you hear something negative. Or you could even write something after you hear something positive (like "thank you for giving me a second chance knowing I can learn from this dreadful mistake"). But don't jump the gun, they need to decide without influence from you (IMO).

Let me use an example of MISTAKES that can (and do) happen. As a groomer I have injured a few pets............totally accidentally! Some owners understand 100% and continue to return with their pets. Others feel they will get better service elsewhere and do not return. But either way, we admit to the injury, pay for treatment if necessary and try to be as sincere with our apologies as possible. but we (the groomer) are not fired for an ACCIDENT!! We are after all, human.

So try not to worry.

moosmom
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Jen,

VERY well put!

Catty1
06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Thank you, Jen. :)

catmandu
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
First of all I am glad that the Kittens back safe and sound.
Thats wonderful news and a success for the Pet Angels.
We pray that you keep your job, as Kittens do have a way of getting out when you least expect it.
We are praying for YOU.
The Found Cats send a Big MEEEEEEOOOOOWWW

Donnaj4962
06-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I missed this thread yesterday... and am glad that there was a good outcome. Catty1, you are being very hard on yourself.... but I understand how sorry you are that this "accident" happened. And that is what it was... an accident. You didn't mean for the little one to get out. And thank goodness she is back! I hope that all goes well at the kennel, and that you are there for many more years.

G535
06-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I have to ask why are there no screens on the windows. I would have thought it could have prevented this sort of thing from happening. I don"t think I have ever seen a house/business without at least proper flyscreens fitted down here. :)

Catty1
06-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Normally there are screens on the windows...until last week, the weather was quite rainy and cool. On Monday, the heat started. So the screens hadn't yet been installed.

I have a message from Ted to call him between 9 and 10 tonight. I'll hardly need to point out the screen thing...because if there ARE no screens, common sense dictates that one does NOT open the window more than an inch.

There is an air exchange system with a filter in each room - so no AC is needed.

I have a feeling I am finished there. But I will keep you posted.

Catty1

G535
06-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Think positive!

Fingers and claws crossed for you. :)

Catty1
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Update here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=107915