PDA

View Full Version : How soon is too soon?

lv4dogs
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I had a message on my answering machine for a job opportunity. They wanted me to call back to schedule an interview. I called early this morning but I got her machine. I hate answering machines & said something kind of stupid, nothing bad or anything though. It's just that I am not too good at leaving messages sometimes. lol Anyways I haven't heard back from her yet. Should I try calling again or should I wait a day or two?
I don't want to seem too pushy but then again I don't want her to think that I am not interested in the job as I am way interested in the job.

caseysmom
06-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I would call back and see if she answers, I think its good to be eager about the job.

Dorothy39
06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes, the old saying is true, Don't wait for them to call YOU.

Answering machines are good sometimes, but like you said, how can you prepare yourself to leave an un-rehearsed response.

Go get that Job!!!

beeniesmom
06-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Call Them.

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Call and say that you have been away from the phone and rather than continue the phone tag...thought you would call her back.

lv4dogs
06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I called back, got the machine again. I KNOW they do now have caller ID so I just hung up. I'm not giving up!
Would it be ok to leave another message tomorrow that is IF I get the machine again? Or should I wait a day between messages but continue to try to call a few times a day?

Yes, the old saying is true, Don't wait for them to call YOU.
I know that I just don't want to be TOO pushy.

Karen
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
It would be fine to leave a new message tomorrow.

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
As an hr/recruiter....I recommend you call again this afternoon...about 4:30....prepare what you will say if you get the answering machine or live! I find it helps to write it down on paper to get it in your head.

"I was so excited to hear from you this morning I did not want to let the day close without trying you again. I know you are very busy but I sure hope we get to talk live tomorrow. If you get my answering machine, please let me know the best time to call you back."

beeniesmom
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Sue,
Sometimes when the line is busy, it automatically goes to the anserwing machine. At least that is what happens at my company.
I am on the phone a lot and my machine kicks in when I'm on the line. It doesn't give a busy signal.

If I were you, I would try to call one more time before the end of the work day (5 pm.) and just say:

Hello, my name is ________, I am returning mrs./ mr. blabla's call in reference to my resume/job application. My phone number is _________________. I will try to reach you again tomorrow. Thank you.

lv4dogs
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
She seemed like she wanted to hire me right over the phone, all they have i part time right now though. :( She did say that she is going to look into it, pretty much try to kind of squeeze me in somewhere full time. :)
I'm not counting my egss before they hatch though.

beeniesmom
06-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Good! At least you spoke to someone!
MAybe they want to "see how you do" before putting you full time.
That's what they have done with me in all my past jobs.