PDA

View Full Version : We had a fire :(

flip195
06-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Thankfully it was a small one and I caught it within minutes of it starting.

For some reason one of our electrical sockets caught fire at 10.55 pm last night, i have no idea how long it had been smouldering, but by the time I found it flames were shooting out of the socket and up the wall.

Of course first thing is get the critters so I promptly throw the dogs out in the rain call my roomate from upstairs and head to the basement to turn off the electric, yelling at my roomie to get the fire extinguisher and keep spraying it till it's empty and if she has to use the second one, by the time I got up from the basement t he house is full of smoke and powder, smoke dectectors are going off and the cats are running every where. I managed to get most of them, but i will say had it been a bad fire we would have lost six of them as they just took off and hid, we would have had to just break out the windows and pray they had enough sense to get out.

having experienced this I would tell anyone with animals ALWAYS be ready, we were and I fear had things not gone so well we would be at least six cats less today.

There was a fair bit of damage, we had the electrician out today and he replaced the wiring, we lost a monitor, and a microwave, upto now and need to redecorate the sun room, Roth and bear jan and myself have been breathing a bit heavy today due to smoke, but the cats, other than being still a bit jumpy seem to be ok.
I thank god it turned out so well.

we worked all day getting the house cleaned up... finally we have it looking a bit better. we also have 6 new fire extingushers and 6 smoke detectors, and I am finally at a point where I can just sit and catch my breath.

Tomorrow we go through the task of seeing what else was damaged. but all in all i think we faired pretty well.

This last couple of weeks have really sucked, I truely hope last night was a end to it.

If I'm not around for a bit it because I'm painting lol.

Karen
06-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Thank goodness everyone is (basically) okay! Gosh, how scary, sorry that had to happen.

ramanth
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
EEEK! How scary, but I'm glad you guys got it under control. Like you, I'm ready with cat carriers in case of an emergency, but I fear I'd have to break a window for Logan, as he's hard to catch.

I hope you guys see a doctor. Smoke inhilation is no joke.

*hugs*

Miss Z
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh my gosh, that must have been so scary! I can feel my heart beating as if I was in that fire. ((Hugs)) to you and I'm glad you're OK. :)

Dorothy39
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
You really got my heart to beating while I read your post.

Man, You responded like a true fire fighter!!!!! Hats off to you!!!

I am so grateful that everyone is okay, even if I don't know you personality.

But, that signature picture of the two dogs, "Yes , We live with Cats" was comedy relief.

The above post is another one that I just love to see.

Kia the She Devil is telling you to see your Doctor!!! (I would certainly do this when time allows)

She is saying, "UGH, you smell funny!!!! :D

Now I have to check out my fire extinguisher as well. We have one smoke alarm that goes off when we pan fry bacon. It is located at the end of a hallway that leads off from our dining room and kitchen area.

Perhaps another smoke alarm on the front of the house in in order now.

On my list of things to do, I will add "examine fire extinguisher. We have never used it. I'll bet it doesn't even work now.

Hugs to You and those dogs and cats. Sorry you had to go through the nightmare .

*iluvskipper*
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
woweeeeee i would be so scared!

lv4dogs
06-27-2006, 01:53 PM
How scary. I am so glad to hear that no one was hurt and at your house is still standing. {{hugs}}