PDA

View Full Version : Should they be weaned by now?

dab_20
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
The kittens are 6 weeks old and still nurse. Not nearly as much as they used to, though. Is this normal? Will Oreo eventually just stop nursing them? They are eating solid kitten food and using the litter box. I will get plenty of pictures and post them next week! :)

smokey the elder
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
They'll nurse as long as the mother permits them. By now they should be eating solids; they nurse more for comfort as they get older. Some mother cats allow it for months; others say, get your own breakfast! I had a small foster, Tribble, who had 4 kittens who looked just enormous nursing on her, but they were 8 weeks old or so.

moosmom
06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
The longer they are with Mama, the more well adjusted they'll be. When Mattie Grace and her babies were with me, I didn't let them go till they were at least 9 weeks old. Mama's milk will dry up once they stop nursing.

The best way to wean them, is to mix KMR with a premium canned kitten food so it's diluted into a paste. Put some on your finger and offer it to the kittens. They should go crazy for it, and believe me, it gets ugly. They make a mess but it is so worth it.

dab_20
06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, we made kitten mush and have slowly got it less mushy and now they are eating solid food. They will stay with us until they are at least 8 weeks. Thanks for the replies.

catmandu
06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
When they are in a safe enviroment the Mother Cat will often nurse the Kittens a little loner than they would in the wild.
I would let the Momma Cat be the judge as to when to stop the Babies from nursing.