PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable battery question?

shais_mom
06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I have 2 battery chargers One is Energizer that I keep Energizer batteries in. The other is One Hour Digital Concepts mostly for digital cameras. I got it at Walmart.
My question is - could I charge a different brand of rechargeable batteries in one of them? Is a rechargeable battery a rechargeable battery and can be used in any charger? I don't want to take 2 chargers when I go to California But I would like to take enough batteries that I won't have to wait to charge them.
Thanks!

Uabassoon
06-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't see why not. I have one charger that I got a long time ago at Radio Shack. The Radio Shack batteries were lost a long time ago, but I still use the charger for my energizer batteries.

moosmom
06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
As long as the charger and the batteries are the same size and wattage, it doesn't matter. My batteries stopped fully charging, which is a sign that it's time they be replaced. I replaced them with another brand and it works fine. Rechargeable batteries are the best for a digital camera, as they suck up so much energy that it costs alot of money with regular disposable batteries.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Yes, you can use other brand batteries. As long as they are compatible batteries - if the charger is for NiMh batteries, you must charge NiMh batteries in it. Otherwise no problem. I've got a Kodak battery charger and I've charged Kodak, Energizer and even Ray-o-vac batteries in it, and possibly other brands I can't think of right now.

No problem as long as the batteries are the same type. Of course the charger manufacturer wants you to think you can only charge their batteries in it, but that's not the case. However, you might want to do a test charge before you go because we'd hate to have you with dead batteries in California!!! (need all the pics we can get since we can't go ourselves) ;)

Randi
06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Yes, take a good look at the specifications - like Debbie said, charge NiMh batteries in the appropiate one. Also, let your batteries go flat before you charge them!

lv4dogs
06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes, take a good look at the specifications - like Debbie said, charge NiMh batteries in the appropiate one. Also, let your batteries go flat before you charge them!

Really, you should let your batteries die completely? I'm so bad at that, I always charge them before they die.

Lady's Human
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
If you charge batteries (esp NiMH batteries) before they are fully drained they tend to develop a memory and it reduces the amount of stored charge.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, you can use other brand batteries. As long as they are compatible batteries - if the charger is for NiMh batteries, you must charge NiMh batteries in it. Otherwise no problem. I've got a Kodak battery charger and I've charged Kodak, Energizer and even Ray-o-vac batteries in it, and possibly other brands I can't think of right now.

No problem as long as the batteries are the same type. Of course the charger manufacturer wants you to think you can only charge their batteries in it, but that's not the case. However, you might want to do a test charge before you go because we'd hate to have you with dead batteries in California!!! (need all the pics we can get since we can't go ourselves) ;)

The best advize!!
One question though, sorry if it sounds a bit silly :o . How do you get your batteries totally dead? And how do you know they are?? :confused:

shais_mom
06-27-2006, 05:36 PM
The best advize!!
One question though, sorry if it sounds a bit silly :o . How do you get your batteries totally dead? And how do you know they are?? :confused:

I suppose the simplest answer for me would be simply use them until they don't work any longer??? In my Fuji that was rather easy to do - it didn't take long since it drained batteries like no other - so I went to rechargeables and problem was solved. With my new Fuji that was one of the issues that sent it back to the Manufacturer. I could put freshly charged batteries in it and it wouldn't even turn on. Both sets of rechargeable batteries and chargers are less then a year old so I know that they are ok. I guess its just not charging them until your ready. I also was really bad about keeping them in the charger - charging all the time - I have thought about chucking the one set of batteries not the charger tho - but then what if its the charger and not the batteries?
Anna reccommended the 15 minute charger it was definately worth the extra money. The one I have now that I mentioned before is a one hour charger.
With my Fuji camera - I would have to replace batteries several times during the day - at the Memorial day meeting I even kept them plugged in at the shelter house to no avail - the camera still didn't do very well. The Canon S2IS now I am still using the batteries that came in the camera and have taken probably 300 pics and a few movies and u/l the pics with the same batteries. I did buy a set of 4 Lithium batteries to take to Cali just in case the rechargeable ones putz out.

Cinder & Smoke
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
BATTERY CHARGING *Tips*
from The Radio Guy ...
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Most of the newer 2 & 4 AA/AAA Battery Chargers are designed to charge
both NiCd and NiMN (nickel metal hydride) batteries ...

** BUT **
ALL the batteries in the charger at one time ** MUST ** be exactly the same:

* Type - either ALL NiCd or ALL NiMH - never a mix of the two Types

* SIZE - either all AA or all AAA - and the SAME number of mAh (marked on each battery)

* Brand - never charge or use different Brands of battery together

It's best to buy, charge, use, and eventually discard batteries in groups of 4 -
each time you buy a new set - LABEL them with a marker or tape - then
charge and USE them as a "matched set".

About 15 minutes after you start charging a set of batteries ...
* FEEL * each individual battery to check for excessive HEAT ...
one HOT battery in a group of four indicates the HOT battery probably has a problem! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
Consider tossing all four batteries of that set.

IMPORTANT:
Try NOT to disturb or remove a battery before the charger indicates "Charge Complete" ...
* FEELING * them for temperature is OK - pulling them out to feel them is bad!
If you pull one out and break the circuit - the charger will probably RE-start it's
cycle and possibly overheat the cells.

The "old" advisories to use all the charge and completely "run down" the batteries
before recharging them is sort of old-school ...
"memory effect" has been designd out of the newer batteries ...
AND the Camera is going to Auto shut-down long before the batteries are
completely discharged.
RE-charge when you've used a set for most of a day, shot 1-200 photos,
shot 50 or more *flash* pictures, -or- when the Camera either http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif *QUITS*
or tells you "Low Battery".

"Overnight" - 12 to 14 hours total - is about enough time for a set of batteries to
stay in a charger ... NOT a good idea to charge batteries any longer than that!
(And ... don't "store" batteries sitting IN the charger ... some chargers will run down batteries
if they are allowed to "sit" in the charger when it's not plugged in!'

If you have a "set" of batteries that always seem "HOTer" than most of your
"sets" do when they come off the charger - the Hotter than average set is
probably going bad and should be replaced.

And remember - "rechargeable" batteries don't last for ever http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif ...
a couple of years old and you've got your money's worth.

Happie *shooting*!

/s/ Phred

RICHARD
06-28-2006, 01:53 AM
do not put the batteries anywhere near the kitchen table or the seasoning containers.

You'll get 'charged' with A salt and battery.

shais_mom
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
do not put the batteries anywhere near the kitchen table or the seasoning containers.

You'll get 'charged' with A salt and battery.
lol
goofball.

Rachel
06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
If one were going to buy a battery charger what brand/type and batteries would be recommended? I've been using lithium batteries (CRV3) and they work well but of course are expensive. If I use double AAs, my camera doesn't work well at all.