PDA

View Full Version : USB Port Question.. Any Ideas?

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay, so I have a laptop. We got it fixed a week ago, and the space key was fixed right, the USB port was fixed wrong. The thing below the USB port, no idea what it's called, is what they replaced the USB port with. So I was wondering if there was another kind of USB port or connection type thing that I could plug in to the other thing, so then I wouldn't have to get my laptop sent off to get fixed AGAIN. And, what's the other thing called? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I've attached a pic. I hope someone can help, I'm dying to post new pics.

G535
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
The "other thing" is a serial port.

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
The "other thing" is a serial port.
Okay, so is there anyway I could use that to transfer pics from my camera?

G535
06-26-2006, 09:23 PM
After a second look it's two USB ports or the bottom one is a firewire port, can you remove the circles around them so we can see better? :)

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I should probably find a pic of my actual laptop, :p.

G535
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
What sort of cable comes with the camera?

Flatcoatluver
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
You can always use my method.
Whatever cord that fits into the labtop back is in the right place ;)

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
a USB one.. o.O
Okay well I can't seem to find a pic of the back of my own laptop. But I'll see if I can find a close up pic of what the port looks like. It basically looks like a USB port except it's got this little black bar over the front of it. The prongs are gold though, and if the black thing was removed it would basically be a USB port I think.
Edit, actually maybe the one I had was a Firewire? I'm honestly not sure at all. I think it was... o___O That's why I can't transfer pics then, because I have a firewire cable not a USB one? Does anybody happen to have a good pic of a USB port, because I'm very confused. :confused:

G535
06-26-2006, 09:37 PM
USB ports do have bars on top, usually black or white. You put the cable in with the bar (on the cable) facing the open bit. Gosh that's hard to explain! Just try it one way, don't force it and if it doesn't fit turn it upside down.

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:38 PM
But now that I think of it, I honestly think it was a Firewire port. :o Does firewire have a black bar over the gold prongs? Mine didn't.. (if it was a Firewire)
Edit, this is my cable.. or at least I think it is. Whatever used to be where the current port is, this fit in it.
http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/64/13/58_2.JPG

G535
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
That looks like a USB cable.

I've been trying to find a decent pic of a firewire port but most are too small.

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
That looks like a USB cable.

I've been trying to find a decent pic of a firewire port but most are too small.
That's the problem I was having. If it's a USB port then why did the idiots fix it wrong.. :( ? I plainly said USB PORT.

G535
06-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Have you tried plugging the cable in? Line up the bar on the cable plug with the open part (that has the pins on it) on the back of the laptop. After having another look it certainly seems to be USB ports, two of them, on the back of the laptop.

Lady's Human
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
There are several types of USB ports used in laptops. Most are one on top of the other, each port having the same physical orientation. Another type uses one port upside down on top of the other.

The pics you show most definitely looks like a USB port, and the cable IS a USB cable, so try turning the cable over and plugging it in.

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Yep, tried that. Didn't work :(.

G535
06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Hmm, if they're both USB then they should fit. Only other thing I can think of is you might be trying to plug the wrong end of a USB extension cable in there.

Roxyluvsme13
06-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, they're both the same, and that's the part of the thing that didn't work. It used to be diff. until we got them fixed. But now they;re the same and it's the wrong thing.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Looks like two USB ports to me too.

Both ends of the USB cord are usually not the same. One is "short and squat" while the other is kind of "long and skinny" just like you show in the pic you posted of the USB cable. It is hard to tell with the circles on the pic because they cover up the ports, but it sure looks like two USB ports to me. Where did you have it fixed? Call them and ask them, or better yet, if you can, take the laptop back to them and ask them about it, and have them explain in detail, even plugging a cord in for you.

Is it possible the "little black bar" is a protective thingy that should be removed for use? Another question to ask the people who fixed it.

king2005
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Firewire
More rounded, with a bar in the middle
http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/itemdetails/desktop-cables/firewire-port.jpg

USB
More Flat, with a bar a little higher or lower then the center
http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/itemdetails/desktop-cables/usb-port.jpg
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/37177i0.jpg

Which do you have?

Also to get even better pics, go to google.com & go to images :)

Roxyluvsme13
06-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I have a USB cord, but apparently they put 2 Firewire ports in, unless I can remove the little blakc thing, which I'll try..

Karen
06-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Removing the little black thing will not change a firewire port into a USB port! Just take it back!

Roxyluvsme13
06-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Okay. I just hate to do that since it will be yet another 2 weeks of no computer.. :(

BC_MoM
06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't imagine it will be 2 weeks to fix a port, Bri. :p

My Dad could do it in a day. I think all these companies that fix computers are a total rip off. They charge so much and take forEVER.

It's nice having a Dad that fixes computers for the government.