PDA

View Full Version : GSD need help desperately

kuhio98
06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
IMOM (http://www.imom.org) is raising funds to help Gretchen a GSD who has an awful injury that was (they think) caused by a bite from a brown recluse spider. If you can help or crosspost to GSD boards, please do so. I'm including a link to Gretchen's thread. *** WARNING *** Her thread includes links to some very graphic photos of the wound. Definitely not for sensitive eyes.

Gretchen Gallagher (http://64.176.8.124/community/index.php?showtopic=813) ~ Updated link to new message board 9/28/06

*LabLoverKEB*
06-26-2006, 11:00 PM
:( :( Thank you for putting a warning on those pictures! That's just awful!

jazzcat
06-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Holy cow! I've never seen anything like that before. That poor dog! :eek: :eek: :(

K9karen
06-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Poor, poor baby girl.

If everyone contributed $1, there'd be more than enough for her continual care.

I mean, I'll volunteer to be treasurer.

Lori Jordan
06-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm so lost of words,I cannot believe she is still alive,I will do my best on trying to help her.So sad :(

pitc9
06-27-2006, 09:11 AM
:( :eek:
OMG!!! I've never seen anything like that..... omg that poor baby!!

kuhio98
06-27-2006, 09:11 AM
:( :( Thank you for putting a warning on those pictures! That's just awful! I know! I am going to ask IMOM to put a warning in her thread. I was shocked when I looked at them. I can't get those pictures out of my head. I sent Gretchen a donation through IMOM. Keep checking her thread on IMOM for her progress. Hopefully, enough donors will come through soon to get her on her way to a happy and healthy life.

kuhio98
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
From Gretchen's Family:
To Whom It May Concern: My name is Gerald Gallagher and I am on SSDI. I have an emergency because my spayed German Shepard named Gretchen has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider. She has had an operation to remove decaying skin and is being treated at Bay Park Pet Clinic. The veterinarian bill is already over $3000.00. I have paid $500.00 on Care Credit. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. She is going to need a further operation to remove more skin that is decaying. Also, she will need more lab test, medication, etc. Gretchen has been transferred to Animal Dermatology Clinic. This is a specialty clinic, because she needs better care. Gretchen is a spaded female, 7 years old. She is a very loving and caring dog. She spent her first 2 years in Utah living in the snow. Then I brought her to San Diego, CA where she has been living for the last 5 years. Thanks Gerald L. Gallagher

Comments:
Animal Dermatology Clinic is discounting most of their services on Gretchen's case. They have a dermatology residency training program and Gretchen is being used as a training case.

To read updates on this pet you may visit our Community Forum (http://64.176.8.124/community/index.php?showtopic=813) ~ Updated link to new forum 9/28/06

Hi everyone, I am Gerald Gallagher the owner of Gretchen. She was treated at Bay Park Pet Clinic for 2 weeks before she went to the Dermatology Clinic. At Bay Park she was on I.V. for 2 days, the wound started out to be only 6 inches in diamiter. The wound gradually spread and the skin begain to decay. They operated one night until 2:00 in the mourning removing the dead skin. She was on pain meds. then. When she was transfered to the Dermatology clinic the doctors said they could touch her wound and she could not feel it because of nerve damage, no pain meds. needed. Now at the dematology she is recieving the pest treatment possible.

Thanks Gerald Gallagher
PS I still owe $1700.00 at Bay Park Pet Clinic (619) 276-1616

Lobodeb
06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for posting this, Lisa. I donated $20. I know it's not much, but anything is better than nothing.

Alysser
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I am at a complete loss of words. This poor poor baby. How can that be from a spider bite though? :confused:

Vela
06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
If you look up Brown Recluse spider bites you can see how devastating it can be for humans and animals, but the pictures will be bad so just a warning=) That poor baby, it does look like a burn but it could be from multiple recluse bites too, I hope they can help her heal.

kuhio98
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
IMOM recently heard from Gretchen's family. While the pictures are still hard for me to look at, she is healing nicely. I'm attaching the photo. Let me know if this doesn't work.

lizbud
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
I am so sorry that I didn't see this before now, but do you know if all
of the bills for Gretchen have been paid yet? I would be happy to help.

I'm so glad she is recieving the help she needed.

GreyhoundGirl
09-28-2006, 06:22 PM
IMOM recently heard from Gretchen's family. While the pictures are still hard for me to look at, she is healing nicely. I'm attaching the photo. Let me know if this doesn't work.

:eek: :eek: My computer won't let me on the site. :( IMOM, that is.

But YIKES !!! How can a spider do that !!! It looks more like a bear attacked it. I looked it up, the spider is only 3/8 inches long and about 3/16 inches wide. WOW, how could it do that?!? The poor darling... It looks so sad. :( Hope al healing goes well.

kuhio98
09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I am so sorry that I didn't see this before now, but do you know if all
of the bills for Gretchen have been paid yet? I would be happy to help.

I'm so glad she is recieving the help she needed.Yes Ma'am ~ All her bills are paid. It turns out that there were so many donors from other sources, that IMOM did not have to raise the entire amount. Gretchen's family was able to get some local media interested and the donations rolled in for this poor pupper.

GreyhoundGirl
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
^_^ Yay, a happy ending after all. :)

kuhio98
09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
:eek: :eek: My computer won't let me on the site. :( IMOM, that is. The problem may be that IMOM has moved their message board to a new site. I have updated the links above. I'm not sure, but you may have to register with a userid and password to access the threads.

GreyhoundGirl
09-28-2006, 06:41 PM
" Content advisor" won't allow me to see this site" :rolleyes: :( Darn computer...

pitc9
09-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Yippeee!!!

Blue_Frog
09-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl:
But YIKES !!! How can a spider do that !!! It looks more like a bear attacked it. I looked it up, the spider is only 3/8 inches long and about 3/16 inches wide. WOW, how could it do that?!? The poor darling... It looks so sad. Hope al healing goes well.

I think it has to do not so much with the venom of the bite, as the following Infection/Necrosis of the skin and sometimes muscle beneath that sometimes can occur (think the flesh eating disease - not the same infection, but sort of the same results).

I feel soooo bad for the poor pup - what a terrible thing to go through! :(

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse

Most bites are minor with no necrosis. However, a small number of bites produce severe dermonecrotic lesions; rarely the bite may also produce the systemic condition with occasional fatalities.

A minority of bites form a necrotizing ulcer that destroys soft tissue and may take months and very rarely years to heal, leaving deep scars. The damaged tissue will become gangrenous and eventually slough away. The initial bite frequently cannot be felt and there may be no pain, but over time the wound may grow to as large as 10 inches (25 cm) in extreme cases. Bites usually become painful and itchy within 2 to 8 hours, pain and other local effects worsen 12 to 36 hours after the bite with the necrosis developing over the next few days.[5]