PDA

View Full Version : Can My Love Bird Be Bulimic??

leny
06-26-2006, 05:26 PM
i have a love bird named nemo, and my aunt found it 2 yrs ago in the city one rainy day. she rescued him, and gave him to me. he's been living with us for two years and he has always been a happy bird. we let him roam around, we give him kisses, and pet his head. for a couple of months however, we have kept him in his cage, usually he would go in his cage just to sleep, and spent his day exploring the living room. He has started doing something weird which i can't explain. He eats his food, and later brings it back up and puts in a little toy ball with holes. he does this a lot, and the food builds up and dries up on the ball. we took the balls out and he gets really anxious. when he doesn't have the balls, he stills brings up his food, and seems to eat it again. then brings it back up, and eats it once more. WHY IS MY BIRD BULIMIC???? CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP??? :(

Karen
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Take him to the vet! He's not Bulimic, but he's probably sick.

Jods
06-26-2006, 09:10 PM
LOL my love bird does this this is how mother brids feed their babies, my love bird regurgitates her food too and tries to feed it to me and if I'm not there she puts it somewhere yes its pretty gross. But I don't think your love bird is sick. In my opinion :) Welcome to PT

leny
06-28-2006, 04:10 PM
really?? but i figured my love bird was a guy because it tends to "hump" lots of things. it likes soft things.. it'll go on stuff animals, towels, hair.. i thought it was mating season or somthing, cause it does this lil dance, where it rubs its tail all over the stuffed animal.. to me it looks like humping lol.. so that's y i ruled out the mother feeding instinct and thought maybe it was some weird behaviour

Argranade
06-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Ya probably just wanting a female.

The males will also feed the females brought up food from there beaks and give it to the female as a treat then sometimes the female shall let the male mate with her as a reward.

Your lovebird could also be practising some parent training lol.