PDA

View Full Version : Mission Accomplished!!

moosmom
06-26-2006, 11:12 AM
On my endless hunt for a kitten for my friend Levar, a little tabby and white 6 week old came into the picture from the Meriden pound.

We took a road trip to the Meriden Humane Society. While I was very impressed with their kittens, I was totally pisses off when I went to open the cage to handle them. The teenager who was standing in the room with us, like an armed guard with her arms crossed, said, "Oh, you can't open the cage and handle them until after you're application is approved." Huh??? :confused: So, if I'm in the market for a kitten, I can't handle them to see their personality, traits, etc??? Across the hall we went to the Meriden Animal Control (the pound). Levar fell in love!! All I had to do was sign the papers, plunk down $50, get the spay/neuter voucher and away we went, kitten (named Gunnar for his spunk) in tow. I've been kitty sitting for the weekend while Levar was in NYC.

Gunnar is THE cutest thing! I've been going into visit him in my bathroom. I didn't want to expose him to my cats since he doesn't have any of his shots yet (going to the vet on July 7th). I've been calling him "Shana Punim" which is Yiddish for sweet face.

He's going back to his house this afternoon. :(

sasvermont
06-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Having been a volunteer at a shelter here in Vermont for a short while, I know that our instructions were similar, in that people were not allowed to reach in the cages etc. until there were officially enrolled in the adoption process. I think it is to protect the animals from being squeezed to death by little kids and unknowing adults. The rules were in place and we had to follow them. The rules seemed reasonable to me at the time. If you saw how some people man-handle kittens you would know why they have such strict rules.

I am glad you got the kitten you wanted and that everything turned out just fine.

How about a photo of the little guy?

moosmom
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I didn't get a picture of him. But he is THE cutest thing!! He's tiny too. I think he's only about 6 weeks old, not 8 weeks, as the ACO said.

While I was there filling out the paperwork, the Sargent (who was there filling in for the ACO) asked me if I wanted a part-time ACO job. I jumped at the chance and wrote down tons of references for her to check. I'll let you know when I hear something.

catmandu
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
HORRAY FOR GUNNAR! Well done Donna, and tahts going to be One Happy Tuxedo Cat.
A Kitten in a Furr Ever Home!
YAY!!!!

Laura's Babies
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Happy Furver Home Gunner!! May you live long and happy in your new home with your new servants.

Sevaede
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Hooray! Happy day all around! :D