PDA

View Full Version : Got a new camera, what size mem. stick?

Toby's my baby
06-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I just bought the new S2 IS, what size memory stick should I buy??

Lady's Human
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
A big, fast one.

I have a 2G? stick for mine, but got the fast transfer rate stick so the wait time between pics is nil. The speed of the stick makes a big difference in how quickly you can take the next shot.

RedHedd
06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Get the biggest one you can afford. Depending on the resolution a 1 gigabyte card will hold thousands of pictures.

Toby's my baby
06-25-2006, 10:44 PM
A big, fast one.

I have a 2G? stick for mine, but got the fast transfer rate stick so the wait time between pics is nil. The speed of the stick makes a big difference in how quickly you can take the next shot.

hmm... do you know HOW fast is fast? I found one that says "high speed" Read: 15 MBps max. Write: 13 MBps max. .....?

Lady's Human
06-25-2006, 11:10 PM
The one I have is a SanDisk Ultra 2:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1160)-SDCFH-8192-SanDisk_Ultra_II_CompactFlash_8GB.aspx

Made a mistake, it's a 512 MB, the thumb drive I have to transfer between comps is the 2G. I took pics of an entire race and didn't come close to filling up the 512 MB card.

shais_mom
06-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I have a one gig card and on the highest Resolution You can get about 660 pics - lower resolution = a looott more pics. I am actually contemplating on getting another one that is a bit smaller just to have another one besides the 16mb on hand. Not sure. I might go ahead and get another gig card. I can't fathom a 2-3-4 gig card. I think the 4 gig cards are about as much as the camera itself!

RedHedd
06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Read The .... Manual and see what your camera's manufacturer suggests.

caseysmom
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I got a 1 gig card for my new camera, it holds a little more than 200 pics. I got it at costco for only 34.99.

shais_mom
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Read The .... Manual and see what your camera's manufacturer suggests.
I'm sorry REDHEDD but I thought this was so funny - I about choked on my ham sandwich. When I got my Fuji I read the manual a couple months after I got the camera. Long story short I started having problems with it after 11 months -I finally bought a new camera Canon S2IS and read the manual before I really messed with the camera. Course its still a learning process I should keep it with the camera!

Toby's my baby
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Ok, thank you everybody!! I'll probably start out with a 512MB or something, and save up some money and get a bigger one, I'm usually around home when I take pictures, so it wont be that big of a problem if I fill if up fast. :) Thank You!

shais_mom
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Ok, thank you everybody!! I'll probably start out with a 512MB or something, and save up some money and get a bigger one, I'm usually around home when I take pictures, so it wont be that big of a problem if I fill if up fast. :) Thank You!
I'd compare prices at Circuit City - Best Buy - or Walmart you might get a one gig card for just a little bit more then a 512. Circuit city did have some rebates on their cards and when I bought mine I got an $18 rebate for the card I bought with my camera - one gig at Best Buy.
a 16 mp card comes with your camera - and I think you'll get about 10-12 pics on the highest resolution.
My neighbor was making fun of her husband the other nite saying he got a power washer for Father's day and she was surprised that he didn't take it to bed with him at nite. I didn't admit that that's the way I feel about my camera! ;)
:D

Toby's my baby
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
My neighbor was making fun of her husband the other nite saying he got a power washer for Father's day and she was surprised that he didn't take it to bed with him at nite. I didn't admit that that's the way I feel about my camera! ;)
:D

Lol, that's probably how I'll feel when mine gets here (i ordered it on the internet).

I'll check out the prices before I buy. I know, I had the 16MB that came with the Sony I have now, which only holds I think 13 pics on the highest resolution and I lived with that for almost 2 years!! :eek: