PDA

View Full Version : Clutter

Pam
06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I am pretty anal when it comes to having a place for everything and keeping everything in its place. For the most part hubby is too except when it comes to the basement. :rolleyes: It is an ongoing struggle to get him to organize down there. For the most part he knows where things are (at least he says he does) but I have to wonder. There are boxes down there that haven't been opened in years so how could he know what is inside? Anyway, he just told me that he would get organized a little better if I would purchase some plastic storage containers. YAY! I am so excited because I know that when one begins to organize part of the process is first throwing out! :)

We were talking a little while ago and I asked him if he thought I was a pest for always whining about the basement. Would he rather that I was disorganized and a cluttery type person. :) He said, "you are fine the way you are but you are a little *throw out happy.* LOL! I guess I could be worse. :D Anyway, I am wondering how you feel about clutter. I absolute hate it and if I had my way the basement would look entirely different but I would never throw out someone else's things (for the most part...hehe!) without asking. Hopefully the light is at the end of the tunnel! :)

gemini9961
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I myself hate clutter as well. I am very quick to throw out something I don't use. My theory is that if I haven't used it or even worn it in the past 6 months, it's time for that item to go. I like minimal things in my house, less for me to clean and take care of. I will toss hubby's stuff out quickly if he doesn't give me an answer quick enough. :eek:

Dorothy39
06-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Wow, Have You Got ESP Pam???

Whew, That Basement Thing, in our lives!!!

It's a bummer at best. My hubby likes to just make things disapear by taking "it " to the basement.

He now has to have a password just to get to the basement steps :D

I have done some major cleaning out in our basement in the last 3 years, Oh My Lord :eek: We have done the Rubbermaid Storage thing that you mentioned. It helped because we narrowed down what we simply can't part with, like, Barbie dolls abandoned from our daughters, Sea Wee dolls, and, our Son's Model Car Collection. That was done last year.

I shipped off their belongings to them, hey, I did my part kids, I saved your stash of childhood memories. If you want it, here it is, come and get it.

Now, I have my own stash to deal with. I have a storage room, with shelves lined with Rubber Maid Containers, Whew, I even labled what is inside.

I hate organizing my memories. But, There are things that I just can't part with. I donated everything else that I don't use , or need, to our Community Hospice.

It is such an out of site, out of mind project that is the least rewarding to address.

Oh Yes, I too know all about "The Basement Blues", I used to refer to our basement as , "our dumpster"

I have taken baby steps, and for the first time in my whole life, in this little house, our basement seems to be coming along fine. It is such a task.

Good Luck!!!

Rachel
06-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I know that when one begins to organize part of the process is first throwing out! :)

YES http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif Score one for *our team*.

Pam knows I'm her soul sister on this topic. I do enjoy an organized living space, including the basement and the garage. Unfortunately my husband doesn't find the joy in this particular way of life that I do, hence his efforts are limited. Not that I am perfect either because I hate tackling an organizing task by myself. Although many of the things that need to go are in DH's domain, there is really nothing stopping me from purging some of my clothing. There it is the decision of what should go and what I should keep that seems daunting.

Jods
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I was just thinking about this today I just never find time to do it with the baby. My parents have a truck and have just sold it, it will be gone in ten days so I have ten days to fill it up and take a load to the dump its a good thing cause now I know I HAVE to do it hehehe ;)

kuhio98
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I hate clutter. Maybe it comes from being a Military Brat. We had to move half way across the world every year or so. I just got used to getting rid of things. I am kind of anal about clean/clear surfaces. I like to see table tops and counters free of "dustables". My sister, feels the need to put something in every empty "space". ;)

Karen
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I thrive in clutter, if you ever saw my desk, as opposed to Paul's, you'd probably faint. He is a neat person. I am not. I am, however, capable of cleaning up and throwing things away, unlike my mother's entire side of the family. Dad is a thrower-away-of-stuff, and the only reason my parents' house was never full-to-the-brim with clutter, like this house was when we bought it.

catnapper
06-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Depends on the clutter. My desk has lots of little dopey things, a million different types of pens, and paperwork I don't really have a place to file yet (I hate to waste a new folder just for one or two pieces of paper that will most likely be trashed after a certain amount of time passes). My room has books and stuff I intend to read (Harry Potter's been waiting a year) and knick-nacks and frames I HAD to have for some reason.

Once I get bored looking at something it goes into a closet, cabinet, box, to the basements, etc. After a few years, I look and evaluate whether or not I truly want it.

I finally tossed out all my "Skinny" clothes figuring if I lost weight at this point, I would reward myself with new clothes because the clothes would be hopelessly out of style anyway ;) I tossed out a ton of crap that a few years ago was soooo important (the mini bottles of bubbles from my wedding? What was I thinking I'd need them for? Emergency bubble making???)

I still have all the drawing books I'd kept from my childhood. My diaries too. But I tossed out a ton of photos that were of people I no longer see or care about.... and photos that had my mom's thumb in the center ;)

I tossed out stuff that was perfectly good but missing parts or pieces or needed some TLC. I wish now that I participated in freecycle.org because someone else could have really been happy to take it.

Lady's Human
06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Clutter? How can you live without it?

We try to keep the living areas of our house clean. With 2 children, assorted pets, etc, it is a constant battle. The basement, however, is a different story. Jen leaves it alone, as there is nothing down in the basement but my workshop, the garage, and outdoors tools. I can put my hands on almost anything I need inside 2 minutes, but you could never tell by looking.

chrangharris
06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Clutter stresses me out! I just spent all day Friday organizing our basement with shelves and bins- it is gorgeous if I do say so myself!! ( Of course, I spent the rest of the weekend paying for it) I love to go down there and see how nice and neat it is. All of my baby bins are put up and neatly labelled. I can find what I need, when I need it! The next goal is to re-organize the main level. I need to get some more shelves in the living room to make room for Aneka. Once I get this level done, I can move to the upstairs and Misha and Aneka's rooms. ( I think I might be nesting a bit more then usual???)

Pam
06-26-2006, 07:05 AM
I like to see table tops and counters free of "dustables". My sister, feels the need to put something in every empty "space". ;)

I feel the same way. I think part of my problem was that I grew up in a home where my mom was a real *knick knack* person and I got a distaste for clutter early on. Now I am married to a man who likes to save things. He says.... *in case I ever need them.* I told him a basement is not meant to be a warehouse but he has a differing opinion. :rolleyes: Congrats on the basement cleaning chrangharris. I hope some day soon to be able to say mine is organized too. The funny thing is, that the things I am responsible for are organized (Christmas ornaments, etc) and are labeled and placed where I can find what I need in a jiffy. Hubby has to root and root sometimes for what he wants but somehow he always finds it, so he feels his system is OK. :rolleyes:

anna_66
06-26-2006, 08:11 AM
I don't like it out in the open space's where you can see it, but I have TONS of it in my closets :rolleyes:
Since we no longer have a basement, and the attic and garage are filled to the brim (that's where my clutter FIRST started going :o ) the closets are now my "catch all". Literally everything gets put in one closet or another.

I'm planning on having a big yard sale and getting rid of everything I no longer want, need or have any use for.
Anyone want any new Barbi's in boxes? How about 30+ Disney Videos? I started collecting with the hopes of having kids but looks like we've passed that and now I have all this "stuff" and nothing to do do with it!

So yeah, I do hate clutter...but I have plenty :D

Freckles
06-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Any of you have digital cable? Discovery Home and FITTV carry a program called "Neat". Each 30minute program starts with a cluttered room and a disorganized person or two and ends up with the perfect room and lots of ideas how to be Neat. I've learned lots especially how to be ruthless with possessions.

Rachel
06-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Any of you have digital cable? Discovery Home and FITTV carry a program called "Neat". Each 30minute program starts with a cluttered room and a disorganized person or two and ends up with the perfect room and lots of ideas how to be Neat. I've learned lots especially how to be ruthless with possessions.

*Mission Organization* on HGTV is another good one, as is *Clean Sweep* on TLC. I really enjoy these programs for in the input and pure inspiration.
Peter Walsh on Clean Sweep is my hero. His advice to folks who are overwelmed with their stuff is therapeautic, and he really helps them to *let go*.

lv4dogs
06-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I hate hate hate clutter but I live in a small house with pets & people so I kind of have to deal with it to a certain extent. :p
There are some things that I do keep and don't know why but there is a LOT that I throw away and don't know why because I always need it after I throw it away. lol
Then there's Joe, I don't know why he keeps some the stuff that he does. lol

If I had one more room &/or a baseent &/or a bigger garage I would be in clutter free heaven!

RobiLee
06-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I despartely need you people to come to my house and help me out!;)

I am a complete pack rat and my house is a cluttered mess :o . I keep saying I'm going to pitch it all but the thought of starting is just so overwhelming. HELP!!!!....LOL :rolleyes:

Karen
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Robilee, I will share with you wisdom passed from the major-league pack-rat, my Great Aunt Bertha, from whom we bought our house. She called me one day, about a year after Paul and I got married, to say, "Karen, start throwing things away NOW! Don't wait until your doctor tells you that you cannot do stairs more than once a day!"

smokey the elder
06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I have to resist the pack rat gene I inherited from my Dad! A few times a year I "commit a neatness" and file away all the random paperwork, etc. that accumulates on the drum table.

jazzcat
06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I LOVE to throw stuff out. I admit I tend to have too many knick knacks and sometimes I allow my office to get a bit cluttered but I go on kicks about every 3-4 months where I declutter and organize.

Unfortunately hubby hates to throw anything away. He doesn't constantly bring new things in but he does wants to hang on to every single thing he's ever owned.

I just wish we had a basement. I need room for storage so badly.

mruffruff
06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I hate clutter, too. My house is pretty small and I save a lot of stuff --just in case :rolleyes: I especially like to keep leftover countertops, plumbing stuff, pieces of lumber, paint,etc.

So I had a new barn-type structure out in the back yard so I would have a shop and grooming area. Guess where my 'clutter' ended up.

Every so often I go through the stuff and donate to the pet shelter's thrift shop. But it's so hard to do. Especially when I find a gadget that need in my junk drawer. (I always knew I'd need it someday.) So how can I get rid of anything? :D

My daughter, on the other hand, has lots of knick knacks. It gives her an excuse not to dust.