PDA

View Full Version : The midnight sun...

Glacier
06-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I wasn't up late enough on Summer Solstice to take any pictures, but I got home very late last night!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery06/midnite.jpg
The back of my property at just before 1am. Pictures were taken using the "available light" setting on my camera so no flash and no editing, except resizing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery06/skidoo.jpg
My snowmachine's summer resting spot. Forgot to move it before the snow melted! It's piece of junk anyway, but I should put a tarp over it!

Technically, we get just under 20 hours of true daylight right now, but we get 24 hours of "visible light"...it doesn't get dark. You can run a chainsaw, fish, golf, walk dogs any time of day and not need a flashlight! It will be late July before we start getting any darkness.

Laura's Babies
06-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Wow! What an adjustment that would be for us southerners... 24 hour daylight? WOW! Do you tell the kids they can play outside until dark like we do? :rolleyes: (some southern humor here.....)

Dorothy39
06-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I went wild when I saw the tread titled "The Midnight Sun".

I am so fortunate that someone took pictures of this for me to see!!! :eek:

I can't imagine living without " night", "darkness". Wild. !!!

The pictures you posted "took" me there!!!! At last, I saw what life is like without darkness!!!!! Thank-you!!!!!!

Almita
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Wow beautiful pictures! I love the outdoors

G535
06-24-2006, 06:37 PM
How much daylight would you get in the middle of winter?

Obviously you have no use for daylight saving up there! We don't need it here either but it's forced on us. :)

Glacier
06-24-2006, 09:23 PM
How much daylight would you get in the middle of winter?

Obviously you have no use for daylight saving up there! We don't need it here either but it's forced on us. :)

We get the opposite in the winter. In December & January, we get about four hours a day of light, but it's pretty dim light. The sun stays very low in the sky and you don't need sunglasses at all!

We still have to do daylight savings time too!

Bengalz
06-24-2006, 10:07 PM
This is so interesting. You must be very flexible (or well conditioned) to fare well with such extremes. Did you adapt readily or did it take some time to adjust?

Suki Wingy
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I would love to spend some time up there, maybe a year or two to experiance it. I'm not too sure that I could handle that all the time but it would be very neat to see. :)

Glacier
06-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Did you adapt readily or did it take some time to adjust?

The dark was much harder for me to adjust to. I moved here in January--not a good time of year to move up here, especially when you don't know a soul and your hubby can't come for four months! That first winter was not fun! I bought a daylight lamp before my second winter here. It helps alot. I use it every morning in the dim months for about 20 minutes.

Uabassoon
06-25-2006, 01:44 AM
And I thought we had a lot of sun here! At least we have a night time! I actually think I'd do ok with 20 hours of daylight, but I think 20 hours of darkness would drive me nuts! One of my best friends is from Alaska and she loves to tell me crazy stories about living up there. I like hearing about all the strange foods like eskimo ice cream and stink flipper.

cloverfdx
06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
That is amazing :eek:. I dont think i could handle that much light all the time, but sure would love to witness it in person oneday. Thanks for sharing, i will probably dream about daylight now hehe.

jenluckenbach
06-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I find this so amazing! :eek: Thanks for the photos.

Randi
06-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Wow, amazing pictures ... at 1AM!! You must be further north than me. Denmark is on the 56th latitude. It's a strange feeling that it's light here until about 10.30 PM, although it doesn't really get pitch black at night. I hate the little light we get during winter months, it's be dark at around 4.30. :(

Also, it always takes a looong time from light to dark. I'd prefer it like in Spain, it goes dark within 10-15 min.

What latitude are you on?

shais_mom
06-25-2006, 10:47 AM
that's cool!
Altho I think it would be hard to get used to.
Laura's Babies - that's so funny.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-25-2006, 11:17 AM

He he, I was JUST about ready to ask that too, but of course I read the other replies too!
I'd like to add: are you lokated above the Artic Circle?

These pics are truly spectacular!!

Glacier
06-25-2006, 12:53 PM

We are on the 61st latitude. Not above the arctic circle. The circle is at 66 latitude. I have been above the circle. You can drive there from here on the Dempster highway(I use the word highway loosely!)

lizbud
06-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Great pictures. :) Did you ever have a problem sleeping in daylight?
I could never adjust to that.I worked at a computer center once and had
go to work at midnight & work until 8am which meant sleeping during the
daylight. Totally awful.

catnapper
06-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow, I can't imagine what thats like! VERY cool though!

Glacier
06-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Great pictures. :) Did you ever have a problem sleeping in daylight?

I don't have any problem with it. Stuart sometimes does. We have darkening shades in our bedroom. We both sometimes have problems remembering to go to bed! Alot of Northerns are sleep deprived in the summer! There's just so much to do and all that light to work by!