PDA

View Full Version : what the H does this mean?

ashleycat
06-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Charlie has the WHOLE yard to pee on. Why the H did he have to lift his leg on me?

Is this a dominance issue? Looks like we'll be back on the leash inside again. :rolleyes: He was doing sooo good! Why now?

dab_20
06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I think it may be a dominence issue. Is he nuetered? Sammy peed on my leg at least 6 times, and a friends leg at my birthday party! :eek: But we got him nuetered and that solved the problem.

ashleycat
06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
hes been neutered since march. Ive had him sice April. Hes 4 yrs old.

dab_20
06-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh, well then I woulden't know what to do. Sorry I'm not much help, but I'm sure someone else has some ideas.

Alysser
06-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Maybe it was just this time and hopefully the last? I think it's a dominance issue. Give him a chance and if he does it agian, then, try the leash agian.

JenBKR
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
You will most likely have problems with him peeing and being dominant because he wasn't neutered until over the age of three. I have the same problems with Roscoe, since he was neutered when he was about 3 1/2 years old. We put him in an obediance class, which worked wonders. Our trainer said that a dog neutered after the age of three is still considered 'intact,' at least in his mind, which means that he thinks he's the leader of the pack. Have you ever put him in any obedience training? If not, would you be able to? If you can, I highly recommend it, the class saved my sanity ;)

EDIT: I had another idea, they have those 'pee posts' at petsmart that you can put in your yard that is supposed to draw the dog to it to pee on - that might help if he's doing this outside. I can't find the link for it, but it's a yellow post that you stink in the ground.

binka_nugget
06-24-2006, 11:58 AM
It sure sounds like a dominance issue. Kaedyn was neutered later in his life too (5/6 years old). He still pushes me and actively competes for the alpha position. I had to go back to NILIF and let him know that he is absolutely not allowed to nip at me or steal my (the alpha's) food. I've found that if you let NILIF slide after a while, if the dog is dominant enough, he will try to gain the position of alpha again. Try going back to NILIF if you already haven't and let him know that he is NOT allowed to do things like that to you. You are alpha and you won't accept any of it.

ashleycat
06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
That's what I thought. I got him to where he knew I was alpha and he was doing really well. So I let him off leash. But he's started back up again. So now he's on leash again.

silly dog!