PDA

View Full Version : The "perfect" cat litter

lldaniels21
06-24-2006, 09:07 AM
What kind of cat litter do you use? I want to find the "perfect" kind when I have to switch Jenna from paper to litter. Her poopie is not as strong anymore..so I am so glad for that!! :)

Catty1
06-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I use Purina for indoor cats...the white bag. A cat at the kennel where I work used it, and I liked it. Keeps pee odor down.

Also check with your vet - I know a cat here didn't like the soft clay stuff (clumping weighs a ton and is a pain for me to look after) as she 'sank' in it(the cat psychic had found that out, and also that the kitty said she would try to use it - it worked!).

Just my experience.

Catty1

Don Juan's mom
06-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I use Premium Choice Flushable litter. I live in a small apartment, and it's a lot easier for me to use... just flush the :p stuff down the john (or loo, or bog).

For South Bay pet talkers: It's cheapest at Pet Food Depot in Palo Alto, CA.

I tried to use some wheat-hull litter a few years ago, and Don Juan started getting me up at 6:00 AM every morning so he could run out and use the yard. :rolleyes: (Given some of the other ways he could indicate his dislike of the litter, I think he was awful nice about it. :D ) I suspect he didn't like it because his feet sank in it.

Liz

catmandu
06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Pet Valu Heavy Duty Clumping Litter.
Unscented.
Its Very Good, And A Very Good Deal.

Sevaede
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Feline Pine. :D I adore it!

catnapper
06-25-2006, 07:31 AM
I use Odor Eaters - its FANTASTIC. But completely wrong for a declawed cat because its very heavy and hard to sift. The best choice for you is a fine grained sandy litter. Arm & Hammer makes the best one. Lots of people also swear by Fresh Step, but its very perfumy.

jazzcat
06-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I use Fresh Step because it forms the best clumps and they don't break when scooping. Unfortunately it's very dusty and is perfumey like catnapper said. If I didn't have a "litterbox room" and had the litter boxes in the main part of the house I probably wouldn't use it because it's so dusty.

I used to use Tidy Cat for when I only had one cat and it was good because it wasn't as dusty but then when I added more cats I found it wasn't too good for multiple cats. The clumps would break easily so as more cats used the box the clumps ended up falling apart and in the bottom causing a mucky layer on the box. Not good - but if I still only had one cat I would probably use it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I've recently switched to the Feline Pine scoopable, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't like messes because it tracks really bad. It's so light that it sticks to kitty feetsies really well and usually doesn't fall off until their in the hall, on the bed, on the couch or pretty much anywhere but in the litter box. :rolleyes: But I really like it because it isn't perfumey and there is no dust.

By the way, when you find the perfect litter, please let all of us know about it since I think quite a few of us are perpetually searching for the perfect litter. ;) :D

moosmom
06-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Don Juan's Mom,

I used to use Premium Scoopable Cat Litter. It's cheap and does the trick. My daughter uses it too.

I now use Feline Pine. It's great and also keeps the urine smell to a minimum. I tried the Feline Pine Scoopable but didn't like it. My cat Mollie Rose, who likes digging to China when she goes, flung the stuff outta the litterbox onto my bathroom floor. I'd prefer the pellets.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I have found an awesome litter!

I just switched my cats from a regular clumping litter, to a clumping litter made from dried, ground, pea pods! It smells like mint, and has superior odor control.

Healthy Pet (http://www.hpcatlitter.com/pages/5/index.htm)

They have a variety of other natural litters that I am going to try. I have tried other natural clumping litters, but this is by far the best - and reasonably priced too. Try it - you will love it!

critter crazy
01-22-2007, 07:01 AM
I have in the last month changed to Fresh Step, and I love it! It smells good, and the Urine smell is gone!! Woohoo!! I was using a flushable litter, but it just didnt work all thta great! Fresh Step clumps great! and is very easy to scoop! :D

Freedom
01-22-2007, 09:13 AM
IMO, the "perfect" litter is any one the cat will use, ha ha.

I use Tidy Cats Scoopable. Have for 11 years. Target has it on sale very 6 weeks for 28 cents per pound. With 7 cats, I use a LOT. Haven't had the problem Jazzcat mentioned with the mucky layer, but then I keep it at least 3 inches deep, often more.

When i lived in a napartment ont he 3rd floor, I used SWheat Scoop, it is lfushable and was very convenient in that 3rd floor walk up. but Mr. Amber Cat didn't like it and refused to use any box that didn't have Tidy Cats. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
:) I tend to go back and forth from Fresh Step to Arm-n-Hammer Litter.. Arm-n-Hammer has out some new stuff called Premium thats pretty good too.. I tend to get both brands & mix..

kuhio98
01-22-2007, 09:51 AM
What kind of cat litter do you use? I want to find the "perfect" kind when I have to switch Jenna from paper to litter. Her poopie is not as strong anymore..so I am so glad for that!! :)No such thing as "perfect". Everyone has a different idea what perfect is. (Sorry, I have a problem with that word). Anyway, we use a combo of Feline Pine and cheapo, non-clumping clay litter. It works for our cats.