PDA

View Full Version : People Living In NH Be Careful...Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

elizabethann
06-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Not sure if anybody else lives in NH....

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- Veterinarians are warning pet owners to be alert after a Somersworth dog was killed by a disease rarely seen in New Hampshire.

Officials said that the 5-year-old golden retriever died from Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It's most commonly seen along the East Coast from Delaware to the south. Veterinarians who treated the dog said that it was the first case they had ever seen.

Dr. Michael Norris at Broadview Animal Hospital said that he and the other veterinarians there were thrown for a loop when Donna Spencer brought in her dog, Sully.

"He had taken a stumble on the deck, and the owner thought he hurt his arm, his front leg, and he was treated for what appeared to be just a bruised leg," Norris said.

But the dog only got worse, so Spencer took him back to the animal hospital, where the doctors gave him antibiotics and tested him for tick bites. The test later turned up positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever. The dog was put to sleep earlier this week.

"It's very uncommon," Norris said. "I can't remember a case in my lifetime."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rocky Mountain spotted fever is spread by ticks to both humans and animals. Symptoms include sudden fever, headache and muscle pain, followed by a rash. It can be very difficult to diagnose, and without treatment, it can be fatal.

"Unfortunately, he was one of the individuals who didn't do well with this disease," Norris said. "Despite treatment, his condition worsened."

The dog's owner and its veterinarian believe that the dog caught the disease in Somersworth because it hadn't traveled very far from its Oakridge Drive home. No one in the family has traveled out of state recently.

"Rocky Mountain spotted fever doesn't commonly occur in our area," Norris said. "I think what we're seeing is hopefully just an isolated case. It does mean we have to be a little more vigilant for these type of diseases."

Spencer said she hopes people learn from her dog's death by checking their pets and themselves thoroughly for ticks. Veterinarians can prescribe medication to protect pets from ticks, and humans should wear bug spray and long clothing when outdoors.

GiantSchnauzer
06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Scary. Thanks for sharing that. I visit the Lakes Region often.