PDA

View Full Version : Photography as a career

dab_20
06-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Lately I've been thinking about what career I want when I'm older. I love photography and animals, so my dad suggested I become a photographer for like National Geographic like magazines or something. Maybe come to people's houses to photograph their pets, too. Do you have to go to college for that? I plan on taking Digital Photography this coming year since I'll be a freshman.

*iluvskipper*
06-22-2006, 09:38 PM
gosh thats a good idea! ya i think you have to go to colege for that i'm not sure...

Roxyluvsme13
06-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Not sure, but that sounds fun. I plan on doing Photography on the side through vet school, and maybe a little bit after I become a Veterinarian :).

dab_20
06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Not sure, but that sounds fun. I plan on doing Photography on the side through vet school, and maybe a little bit after I become a Veterinarian :).

I would also like to become a vet. But I get too emotional with animals, and you have to be pretty emotionally strong to be a vet.

Miss Z
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Becoming a photographer is a good idea, although I don't know how exactly you'd study it. My friend, Katherine, wants to become a journalist and a photographer, and the main subject she will be taking is art. She'll take art all the way to university until you can branch off into photographic art. So I suppose art is what you'll need to concentrate on the most. I would strongly recommend going to college even if it isn't too necessary. Qualifications are everything to employers, and to get jobs you've got to have the upperhand on the other applicants. If you can do it, do it! Show off your skills and you'll go far.;)

I would recommend studying a variety of more solid subjects as well during school and college (like maths, English etc) so you've got a broad range of subjects to fall back on just in case things don't work out. Media and photography is quite an unstable jobhold for some. I'm sure you'll do well in whatever you choose to do, and good luck!:D

elizabethann
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
My brother does wildlife photography for NG and no, you don't need to go to college for that. However, you need to live, breath and sleep photography. Do you carry your camera everywhere you go? My brother shoots with a 35mm - no digital camera for him. You need a ton of patience waiting for the perfect shot. I can't tell you the times he's sat in a blind waiting for some animal to appear, only for the animal to get scared off and run away. It helps to know a foreign language and to know your geography.

Also, start small. Work for your local newspaper (or intern there). Then work your way up.

It takes a lot of work but it's a great career.

Good luck.

dab_20
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks very much for the reply! I think the classes I'm taking next year are Digital Photography, computer application I, algebra, advance english, science, social studies, choir... I think that's all. So I should take art? Doesn't that mostly concentrate on drawing and painting? I do plan on going to college, I know it will help alot.

Edit: elizabethann, I just saw your reply, thanks. It's all a really hard decision to know what you want to do. I think I'll look into more in a couple years.

buttercup132
06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Thats what I woulkd like to be too:D

Theres courses for it in high school and Collage. I get to take photgraphy next year , I'm so excited!!
But it has to do with art too

Giselle
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Photography IS art. Your first art course in high school will most likely focus on drawing and design, but the same basic elements and properties of art apply to professional photography. My suggestion would be to take every art course in appropriate succession and take AP Art in your senior year.

Before you hop into this career, you'll need to know the basics of what *makes* a good photograph. I'm not sure if ALL the elements/properties apply, but I do know that DOF (Depth of Field) is a concept that is heavily used in drawing and design and photography. You'll also need to understand balance, range of values, etc. etc. Art is beautiful in the sense that you have no rules, but you do have basic elements to keep in mind. I do wish you luck because I think talented photographers are some of the most gifted people :)

Almita
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
I think that is a good idea! I was thinking of also doing that by taking pictures of the types of cars i Love and travel all over the world I want to be around cars and learning everything about them and seeing all the exotic cars. I also like being around and play the guitar i love to do.

Well anywho i think you should find a college that is out of state they probably might have one around.