PDA

View Full Version : A Cat's Coat...

lldaniels21
06-22-2006, 02:46 PM
I have a few questions about maintaining a healthy looking coat for Jenna.
1) How many times a week should I brush her to get all the loose hairs off?
2) Does bathing a cat help their coat become more shiny? If not..what helps?
*Any pointers will be greatly appreciated in making Jenna look even more beautiful! Thanks :)

Laura's Babies
06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I got a hold to mine yesterday with the sheding tool and got a big ole pile of loose fur off of them and need to do it again because I was gone for 28 days.. Amy would let me brush her until she was naked if I would keep at it. She LOVES it and how I talk to her when I am doing it. That is "our" time and she eats it up. I think how often depends on your cats needs. Long haired ones could be brushed every day if they liked it and you wanted to, short haired, I think weekly would be enough. No matter how often you brush, they still will shed.

I think diet (and genes) has more to do with their coat than anything, a good healthy food with all the things they need. Sure made a differance in Samanthas coat when I first got her.

I think bathing shouldn't be done more than once a month but I don't bathe mine, I value my skin to much. Kitties are such clean creatures by nature that I have never seen the need to bathe them except for fleas or something really gross on them.

catmandu
06-22-2006, 06:13 PM
To get a long haired Cat used to grooming, I would brush them daily for a few minutes, to get them used to having a brush on them.
The shorter haired Cats can go on a weekly basis, but they do shed too.

Randy_K
06-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Talk to your vet about the best shampoo and conditioner for your cat if you plan to bathe her. A bath gets a tremendous amount of loose hair off them! As soon as the bath is done, comb out her coat and then make sure she gets dry quickly. You won't believe how a cat will lounge around with their soft, clean coat. While bathing her don't get her face wet. For some reason many cats will tolerate getting their body wet but their face is off limits.

In lieu of a zoom groom or other cat specific brush, a good boar bristle brush (Fuller Brush or any drug store) quickly becomes a cat favorite. We had a family cat who would take the brush and hold it with her paws while she rubbed her chin on it. She didn't need us! This brush will collect a lot of loose hair without irritation to her skin.