PDA

View Full Version : Turkish cat name suggestions

ganime
05-14-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi,
I believe we have quite funny names for cats in our country. I would like to share them with you. (I know Yorkster named one of the cats "Kedi" which means "Cat" in Turkish).

Here are some classical cat names in Turkish:

Kedi : This means "Cat". Because cats are more in the streets here than inside houses people usually call them just "Kedi".
"e" and "i" are pronounced like their counterparts in "Peking".

Tekir. This means "Tabby" in Turkish. "e" and "i" are pronounced as in "Peking".

Sarman: Name given to orange/yellow cats. Derived from Turkish word for Yellow: "Sari". Both "a"s are pronounced as the "a" in "Far".

Minnosh : Usually given to white females. "o" is pronounced as the "o" in "of". Both "n"'s are pronounced.

Pamuk: Means cotton wool. Given to white cats. "a" is pronounced as in "far". "u" is pronounced like "oo" in "wool".

Mirnav: Typical cat name. Derives from "Mirlamak" , which means "to purr" in Turkish. "a" is pronounced like "far". "i" is pronounced like the second "a" in "altar".

Tirmik: Derives from "Tirmalamak" which means "to stratch". both "i"s are pronounced like the second "a" in "altar".

Mestan: Very funny cat name. I don't know what it means. Given to any cat i presume. "a" is pronounced like the one in "far".

Here are the most typical names. I hope one day someone from "pet talk" name their furkid a Turkish name.

Gio
05-14-2002, 09:44 AM
Actually I quite like the sound of the word Mirlamak and Pamuk is cute too. I like foreign/foreign sounding name for my cats so I will keep these in mind even though I'm not sure when I will be able to add someone else to the household.

yorkster
05-15-2002, 04:16 AM
Yorkster here, with the cat named Kedi :)

I rather like the name 'Minnosh'..........that's very cute.

Heather Wallace
05-15-2002, 05:07 AM
WOW! interesting, thanks for sharing that with us all.