PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep in touch?

.sarah
06-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Do you keep in touch with the original owners/rescue group/breeder of your pets?

Mandy was adopted from the shelter, and we've never sent any updates.

Nova was bought from a BYB and I've contemplated whether or not to send pictures. I want to so badly, but I'm worried if I tell them how much Nova means to me and how smart she is and send them pictures, that they'll decide to breed her mom again.

Luka was adopted from the humane society, where I've volunteered for three years and have worked for three months. I send her foster mom pictures by e-mail every now and then. Her foster mom and I talk sometimes over the phone and in person because we are "connected" through my job now, and she always asks about Luka. I just sent her an e-mail full of pictures a minute ago.

Buck was bought from a breeder that lives down the street (she's not a BYB, as much as that makes it seem like it :p). I take Buck down on the weekends to visit his mom and see the breeder. I also keep in touch with the owners of the two yellow boys from the litter, Sunshine and Cowboy, by e-mail. I've seen Sunshine a few times when the breeder has watched him. I haven't seen Cowboy since he left the litter but his owner sends me pictures sometimes. I usually send stupid picture stories, "Buck's Adventures". They are actually really funny, and are written from Buck's perspective. My mom says I could write a children's book with them. lol. I just sent an e-mail with pictures to the breeder and the owners of the two yellow puppies a minute ago.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Since a person from Morgan's foster family works at a pet store we go to constantly, we do kind of keep in touch. We don't phone her foster family or anything but we do take Morgan into the store to visit and wehn we don't take her the girl who works there always asks about her. The person we got Winston from has become a close friend of my mom and I. We see her often, we go to her house every 2 weeks to help with dog nails and get our dogs' nails done and we also go there just to visit and such often. Tango is from my mom's chiropractor and our friend so we do keep in conact with her. Tia was born here when we rescued Jesse (who was already expecting at the time). When I get my Toller I will definitely keep in close contact with her breeder.

Kfamr
06-22-2006, 04:24 AM
I've never kept in tocuh with the SPCA (Simba) - but I am in touch with the Humane Society (Kiara & Nala) regularly. They even get Christmas cards from The Muttlies. :)

Chilli
06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
We sorta keep in touch with the organization we adopted Ethan from. They're at Petco every saturday, so if we're in town when they're having their adoption day, we stop by and talk, we sometimes take Ethan with us. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I voted yes and no because we do stop in and see the woman who runs the rescue that we got Vallis from because we shop at her pet store (it's a really neat place- there are so many cats & dogs there- ALL rescues!), but I don't keep in contact with any other pets. I've contemplated sending an update to the place where we got Adele, (it was a 1 woman running a whole shelter on her own property- she took in any animal!) but I never have.

finn's mom
06-22-2006, 09:56 AM
No. I meant to, I got their email address, but, misplaced it. When I found it, almost a year had passed, and, I just never got around to sending anything.

Corinna
06-22-2006, 10:20 AM
No for one yes for 2 of them Lady's owner was going to keep check on here but never did. She has moved so lost contact, but I stay in contact with Angie from 2nd chance pets in Idaho. and of course lute gets updates with all of you.

k9krazee
06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
No, but I've been contemplating sending pictures and an update of Jack to the rescue we got him from. I'm just afraid it was so long ago they wouldn't remember the little bugger. After I adopted him we would go in to the store every weekend that they were there, but kinda stopped that too.

The BYB we got Micki and Mini from we sent a Christmas card to for a couple of years, but stopped that.

We got Shadow from my Aunt so she sees her a lot already.

And on a different note, we have kept in touch with each of Kyra's siblings and have regular updates on most of them.

ParNone
06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Murph's breeder, I didn't. When I first got him, I called them about an issue and it took multiple calls to get them to call me back.

Maddie's breeder, I sent a couple of Christmas cards, letting them know how she was doing, but didn't keep in touch after that.

Oz's breeder, I use to email her from time to time with updates, but haven't in awhile. She knows the website, so I figure she can get her Oz fix, anytime she needs to. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from me though. She seemed geniuely concerned and interested about all her puppies.

Gull's breeder, I was just talking to the other day. She hangs out at the same Collie List as I do, so it makes it easier to keep in touch. She also knows the website and has passed it onto other Collie folks, so I think even Gull's sibling's owners keep up on what's happening with Gull. I sort of get the impression, he's known in the Collie world, even though he's not a Show Dog. Are you ready for your close, Mr. Gull? ;)

Par...

lv4dogs
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Nanook & Raustyk came from the same shelter. They get a photo x-mas card of the pups every year as well as a small update. I also stop by that shelter every so often, those that worked there when I got my dogs and continue to still work there know me so of course we talk about how they are doing.

Kaige's breeder gets an email from me about every 2-3 months with updates, stories & pictures. And we sometimes talk in between, with questions, show dates, just to talk, etc...

dogzr#1
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I voted that no, we don't keep in touch. We got Astra from a BYB in San Antonio, and we didn't get any sort of contact information, so we don't send updates or anything.

We got Molly from a very good breeder in Corpus Christi. We talked to her one other time, when we wanted to get another Golden Retriever from her, but since then we haven't talked to her.

Prince was gotten from a BYB near us, but we haven't spoken to the lady since getting him.

Miss Z
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes for Tia, we still pop into that pet shop regularly for food and treats for her, and the lady who runs it always wants to know how she is doing :)

No for Zsa-Zsa, her breeder lives a way away in Nottinghamshire, not even sure if she's still breeding any more.

dab_20
06-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, we keep in touch with the dog's. Both of them came from friends so I give them pictures and updates.

Suki Wingy
06-22-2006, 01:51 PM
no, the shelter is too buissy

cali
06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
yes and no. for several years of Happy and Blairs lives we were in close contact with there breeder, but she is a complete and total @$$ and while my mom still speaks with her on occasion, I refuse to have any contact with her.

Mistys breeder we do not keep contact with, they dont have e-mail and while we have their number it would be long distance, so we really dont bother.

Perky and Ripley are shelter dogs, I mean keeping in contact with foster familys sure, but they were just dogs in a cage over 100 randome people careing for them lol

Shadow is with a new home now but she was a stray, we havent a clue where she came from.

PinkSunshine
06-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Definitely! All 3 of mine came from breeders and I've kept in touch with them :)

chocolatecoffee
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Weird, I was just thinking about this today.

Mocha came from a BYB (we definitely didn't do enough research) and we invited them over for dinner, but they never got back to us. We talked to them shortly after we bought her to tell them how sick she was, but that's it.

Initially, we kept in touch with both of the people we adopted Panna and Cannelle from, but eventually lost touch with them. Cannelle's foster mom went through a bit of a tough time and we still haven't heard back from her after the birthday pictures we sent her and I don't think the people who adopted Panna from could care less.

sandragonfly
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I do for everyone as long as they keep in touch. that way I know they're interested about my pets. ;)

crayola, my law dog from SPCA service dog program, they mail out an annunal evaculation form, checking on if I'm still 'using' him accordly. of course I do, and still treat him like my companionship but if I don't respond, they'll take him away as, unforunately to say, it is federal's dog. they're great people (who has their dogs themselves too) to keep in touch with anyway.

cats, ah, I'll try to keep this short...lol.

zephyra's rescuer who found her outside of her backyard - we keep in touch with pictures once/twice a year.

ocean and miles, they both came from SPCA shelter. I sent a thank you along with first/last update of ocean (3 years ago now), they still have that card hanging up there! he looks much the same anyway, ha.

eclypse and clayton who came together, their rescuer's the owner, we keep in touch with the most. we're more like friends. we talk and even send personal pictures to each other every other month or so. oh, and the little ark always gets a christmas card from her and her different fosterkids. :)

shaddow - from my 'big' sister (friend) who moved into no-pet allow home, we talk weekly.

whispers - from a box. abox doesn't talk!

midnight, from lost SPCA, which is no longer there now where I used to volunteer at.

star, I rescued this dying girl out there on a street one night, no information of herstory on her so as well as she had her four boys, gus, (rainbow) avalanche, chance & echo three weeks later. and yes, I do keep in touch with myself! ;) :p

slick
06-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Absolutely. I adopted Max and Speckles from a family who could no longer keep them because of their travelling jobs. For the first few years, I would send them pictures and keep them up to date. Then they dropped out of sight for about 4 years...don't know why. Finally after sending tons of emails, they finally responded not giving any excuse for their absence but now they in Oliver, BC which is about a 4 hour drive from me.

To make a long story short, I spoke to Speckles' biological Mom on the day that Speckles made the trip to the bridge. We both shed some tears and I let her say good-bye as she loved Speckles first. Since then, we've emailed about once a month with updates.

BTW, the night I loaded both Max and Speckles in my car (9 years ago now), I gave the couple each a big hug and promised that they would both always know the whereabouts of their precious kitties. I've never broken that promise.

Cincy'sMom
06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
The only one I ever updated was the shleter where we got Spot. He's Happy Ending Photos are Here (http://www.hsov.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3)

Ginger's Mom
06-22-2006, 08:58 PM
No, I have on occasion thought about it. I got Ginger from a rescue (made up of fosters) about 4 hours away; I did think about sending them a picture when she was about six months to show them how much she had grown. When I found Pet Talk I learned how to take and post digital pictures I thought about it again. Maybe I will do that now. The lady that was fostering her was so nice when we e-mailed back and forth before I went down and got Ginger.

zoomer
06-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Buddy was from a drunk man who threw beer bottles at Buddy, so we don't ever talk to him.

Georgia came from a breeder who starved her, so we don't talk to her.

Alaska came from a great breeder, and we kept in touch for a while but we haven't heard from them for a very long time.

dab_20
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Buddy was from a drunk man who threw beer bottles at Buddy, so we don't ever talk to him.

Georgia came from a breeder who starved her, so we don't talk to her.

:( :mad: :(

lute
06-23-2006, 12:29 AM
yes and no.

We adopted Beanie from Harmony Haven. A rescue in Terre Haute,IN. i e-mailed them about 2 years after we got him to tell them we still loved having him as a part of our family. the actually remembered him from 2 years before! other than that, no.

Gracie yes. We see Gracie's breeder at most of the shows in TN.

cloverfdx
06-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes and no ;).

We attempted to find Clover's Mums owners but they had moved only about a month before. Penny's Mum's owner we used to see all the time as we were friends with her, but she had been ill and we have not heard from her for a few years. Theo was a petshop boy (Yeh i know bad us) so we defnitely dont keep intouch.

Elvis and Tinny see their other Granny every week, we all go walkies, go for coffee, or just visit one another atleast once a week or more if possible :D. They are great friends of my Mum and i.

We saw the women who owned Yumi's Mum a few weeks back and said how well she has been lately. She did not believe us she will be 7 years old this year :eek:.

Thats everyone.