PDA

View Full Version : Make my own gerbil food?

Sevaede
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
After a quick review of the ingredients in my gerbils store bought food, I am not. What I would like to know is what would be a better food for them? I don't think buying something like "for hamster, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, etc" is really the best route to go. Is it possible to make my own? Should I try and look harder for "just" gerbil food? Should I feed them dog or cat food?

Thank you.

Chilli
06-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Hmm... someone I know once told me that he used to fed his gerbils a homemade mix... but you have to be careful as to what you put in it and how much (to assure you get everything you need). I've never owned gerbils, and I'm sure they're quite a bit different from rats..
I feed all of my rats(and mice) a homemade blend (I got the recipe from another rat enthusiest), and my rats are doing well on it. The main reason I switched over to the homemade was because one of my rats would not eat any pre-made mix except for one brand. And there are no petstores close that sell it anymore (plus it was extremely pricey).
But as for any good brands of pre-made gerbil food, I'm clueless. As I said, I only feed my rats and mice homemade.
Good luck on whatever you decide to approach! :D

Sevaede
06-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah, okay. Thank you anyways! :D

I'm going to email some gerbil breeders and see what they feed. :)