PDA

View Full Version : Computer question (EDIT-new question)

jenluckenbach
06-21-2006, 05:18 AM
(yes, again :rolleyes: )

OK, I have my new (used) computer and DSL (YIPPEE)

I was looking forward to playing games online (like at Yahoo games) but all I get is the dreaed red X instead of the game loading.

I have windows XP

Anyone have any idea why?

EDIT: Scroll down for my newest problem. :rolleyes:

mustlovedogs
06-21-2006, 08:03 AM
I get that too... I'm not sure why it happens, but maybe you can try contacting (e-mailing) Yahoo and see what they can do about it. Hopefully everything works out! :)

king2005
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
you prob. don't have the software you need to run the games there, like flash.

give me a few & I'll see what I can find out
=========

This should fix your issues
yahoo help info (http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/games/games-04.html)

AbbyMom
06-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Jen

XP comes with additional security features that, when left as is, block "active content" on any web site. Your games sound like active content to me.

Do you get a yellow bar across the top and under the address bar? See the attached pic.

If you are getting the yellow bar, click on the yellow bar for options.

Just a thought.

Pat

BOBS DAD
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Sometimes you have to download a variety of plug-ins and updated executables to "play on-line. ActiveX is always being asked to be updated on the kids PC (We're mostly MAC folk though). Good luck!!!

dab_20
06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree, you probably don't have the software. I don't have flash either. :(

jenluckenbach
06-21-2006, 01:42 PM
OK, I too thought about needing software to play the games. SO what would I need and where do I safely get it?

Lady's Human
06-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Flashplayer is from Macromedia, and their website normally has updates. Most of Yahoo's games are done through Java, and you need to make sure you have java enabled.

One suggestion? Get Firefox, it's much better than IE all around, just go to mozilla.org and dowload it.

jenluckenbach
06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Flashplayer is from Macromedia, and their website normally has updates. Most of Yahoo's games are done through Java, and you need to make sure you have java enabled.

One suggestion? Get Firefox, it's much better than IE all around, just go to mozilla.org and dowload it.
How and where do I check to see if java is enabled? :confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Jen, it looks like you probably need to go to the purple and green sections below. Hope this helps!

If the problems you are experiencing with Yahoo! Games include:
getting a blank screen
nothing occuring when you try to join a table
any similar problem
You need to double-check that Java and JavaScript are fully enabled in your browser. Follow the steps below for your browser:

Netscape 4.XX or newer for Windows, Mac, or Linux

Click "Edit" in the menu bar, and then select "Preferences."
Click the word "Advanced" and put checks in the boxes next to "Enable Java" and "Enable JavaScript."

Internet Explorer 4.XX for Windows

Click "View" in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."
Click the "Security" tab.
For the Internet Zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. (If you have chosen to customize your Security settings for the Internet zone, be sure that under the Java heading, "Java permissions" is not set to "Disable Java." You will want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also be sure that under the Scripting heading, "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt.")
Next, click the "Advanced" tab.
Scroll down until you see the sub heading "Java VM."
Check the boxes next to "Java logging enabled" and "Java console enabled." (Note: If you have checked the box next to "Java JIT compiler enabled" and are experiencing freezing problems, uncheck that box.)

Internet Explorer 5.XX or 6.XX for Windows

Click "Tools" in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."
Click the "Security" tab. For the Internet zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. (If you have chosen to customize your security settings for the Internet zone, be sure that under the Java heading, "Java permissions" is not set to "Disable Java." You will want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also be sure that under the Scripting heading, "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt.")
Next, click the "Advanced" tab.
Scroll down until you see the sub heading "Java VM."
Check the boxes next to "Java logging enabled" and "Java console enabled." (Note: If you checked the box next to "Java JIT compiler enabled" and are experiencing freezing problems, uncheck that box.)

Note to Windows XP users

By default, the Windows XP operating system comes with the Internet Explorer 6 browser without the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed, which is required to run Java programs such as Yahoo! Games.

If you install Windows XP over an existing installation of Windows that already has Internet Explorer with a JVM installed, then you should be able to play just fine.

At this time Microsoft no longer provides a download of the JVM if you do not already have it installed. You are welcome to contact them for information on where to find and download this program.

However, you have the option to download Sun's Java plug-in by visiting

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/auto_install.jsp

Sun is the creator of Java, and their plug-in will allow you to play Yahoo! Games.

jenluckenbach
06-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Thank you Debbie! That program is JUST what I needed. I can always count on PT. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Glad it worked, Jen. Let the games begin! :D

Almita
06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Glad your computer is working!

jenluckenbach
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
OK..................new problem.

I went to load the software to my scanner (HO 3500c) and I cannot get it to scan.

Tried the HP website, according to them I have the latest drivers, etc.

Could it have something to do with XP?

Gosh, one step forward and 2 back. :(

G535
06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiDocument?lc=en&cc=us&product=15202&dlc=en&docn

That should work. :)

Oops, wrong one, hang on a bit and I'll find the right one!

G535
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I couldn't find the one with the registry hack but there should be a solution on this page:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00581401&dlc=en&product=73488

jenluckenbach
06-23-2006, 04:50 AM
I couldn't find the one with the registry hack but there should be a solution on this page:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00581401&dlc=en&product=73488

I was at that site for a while yesterday. I could not figure out why it would not work.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Jen, is your scanner one of the ones listed here?
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?text=hp+3500c&av=&clickedsearch=1

If so, it should be compatible with XP. How old is the scanner? I do know that when Terry upgraded to XP there was no way no how we could get the scanner to work - and it COMPLETELY locked up XP, where I couldn't even get the computer to boot up!

I will have a chance to check this all out in more depth later today, so I'll let you know what I find.

The good news is, we went out and bought a new scanner when we couldn't get the other one to work, and we're now selling it for $45.00. If you find there is no way no how to get yours working, I would be happy to ship you ours. You pay the $45.00, I'll pay the shipping.

But I'll do some more digging before it comes to that.....

Laura's Babies
06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
I recently replaced my old 11 year old scanner, copier, printer with a new one, a HP PSC 1510 and installed it. 50% of the time I try to scan something it tells me the scanner is NOT connected... I can scan 10 things and out of the 10, it will tell me at leat one time my scanner isn't connected. I just keep trying and it will scan.. HP was NO help at all when I called them.

king2005
06-23-2006, 10:35 AM
What version of XP do you have?
If its XP Pro64, your pretty much out of luck. Most older things will not work on XP Pro64. My scanner doesn't work on my pc either :( & neither do 90% of my pc games (the ones on CDs & DVDs, not online those work fine).. there is a way to fix it, but I haven't been told how to yet.. just waitng for the info.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-23-2006, 10:37 AM
If it's a HP Scanner 3500c, it's compatible according to this
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/item.aspx?idItem=4ac88605-6616-de54-6af2-0566c95da701

If it's a HP Scanjet 3500c, it's compatible according to this
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/item.aspx?idItem=a2d45892-08b1-0f1b-debc-7d3d559e0901

If it's a HP Photosmart 3500 scanner, it's not compatible. The 3600 is, but not the 3500.

And if it's a HP Laserjet 3500, it's not compatible.

So, I'm going to continue to look based on the fact that it's either the first or second items listed here that are compatible.

jenluckenbach
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
The scanner is scanjet 3500c

the OS is Windows XP pro (but NOT the 64 bit)

G535
06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Does it show any error messages and if so what are they?

jenluckenbach
06-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Does it show any error messages and if so what are they?

It DID show an error message, but today it works. :rolleyes: Go figure that one out. :confused:

Pictures to be posted soon. In cat general!

G535
06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Happy to see it's working. Those problems are the main reason I use Linux, just turn it on and it works! :)