PDA

View Full Version : New Kitchen

emily_the_spoiled
06-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Reading Johanna trials with her hardwood floors is making me very nervous about my kitchen renovations. The cabinets have arrived in and my contractor is supposed to pick them up this week. I have been slowing emptying out my current cabinets so they can be removed. I have already ordered the granite counter tops, they just have to come in an measure but that can not be done until the cabinets are in.

But the really scary part of this is that I have 7 cats and I am supposed to go out of town on Saturday for a week (did I mention that it is out of the country :rolleyes: ). Thankfully my contractor knows the cats, but I am still not sure this is all going to work out. Two things could happen when I get back, everything will be just about completed or I could be without a kitchen for the next few months while everything is completed.

So which me luck and keep your fingers crossed that it is the first option and not the second that I come home to...

catmandu
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
We Hope That All Your Renovations Go Well, And That The Cats Dont Do Anything That They Are Not Supposed To Do.

lizbud
06-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow. I would be reluctant to let workmen trapse in & out of the house
when someone is not there to keep track of where the cats are at all times.
I only say this because I have two cats who would love to see an open
door to go exploring outside. Do you have anyone to watch them when
you're gone?

RedHedd
06-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Ouch! I'd reschedule the trip or the renovations. Anything can happen when kitties are unsupervised.

Cookiebaker
06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Emily, I totally feel for you. Totally. Right now, we have been without a sink or dishwasher for about 4 weeks. The plumbing is not done yet, and our contractor is moving on Friday. MOVING. All the way across the country. So, now we are in a panic trying to find someone else who can do the plumbing (which is extensive and way beyond our league) who is reliable, and isn't booked out for 6 months. :mad:

Have fun on your trip, and I am sure everything is going to work out just fine for you (as long as your contractor doesn't up and decide to move :p )

emily_the_spoiled
06-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately I can not postpone the trip (because I am presenting at the conference). My contractor is also my next door neighbor and he would be looking after the cats while I am gone anyway, so this way they just have "company". They know him and will come to him.

One good thing is that most of my guys will actually run in the opposite direction of an open door :rolleyes: , so generally I do not worry about the cats getting out.

But they are delivering the cabinets today while I am at work, so it will be interesting to see what I go home to tonight...

Cataholic
06-20-2006, 08:23 AM
WOW. This is just like me!! I hope the kitchen renovations go well, and, I need pictures! My kitchen is next. I have a new floor and ceiling, but, the walls, cabinets and counter tops NEED to go. Good luck.

One thing I have found with tradespeople in and out of my house is my stern warning, said with a smile, "I will hunt you down and hurt you if any of my cats are missing". Then I say, "no, seriously, PLEASE be careful of my cats". So far, I have had sucess.

What are you presenting, topic wise?

emily_the_spoiled
06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
I figure that since my contractor is also my neighbor I would jus go talk with his wife (which is usually much more effective :D )

I am presenting a paper that looks at differences in the quality of medical care provided at specialy hospitals, general hospitals, and ambulatory surgery centers (real exciting huh???)

joycenalex
06-22-2006, 06:23 AM
my kinda paper! can i get an abstract? and seriously, my good friends lost one of their furbabies to a contractors' carelessness. you can't be too careful. good luck on your presentation

emily_the_spoiled
06-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Once the presentations are over the powerpoint slides will be posted on the web, so if you are really interested I can send you the link...

Well my cabinets are being delivered as I type this. So I will go ome to a ripped up kitchen today :eek: