PDA

View Full Version : chewing carpet

bgodsil
09-22-2000, 01:37 PM
We have a problem w/ our Cardi. If we leave him home, alone, for more than 3 hours, he starts chewing holes in the carpet. I would assume some kind of separation anxiety.

We would like to leave him out of the crate, when we go to work. How can we work on curbing this action?

RachelJ
09-22-2000, 02:55 PM
I have one dog that has an extreme case of separation anxiety. When we first got him, I would confine him in the kitchen when we left to go shopping and leave my other dog with the run of the rest of the house. (I did this mainly because at the house he lived before he came to us he had ingested inedibles and required emergency surgery because of an intestinal blockage.)
Even though we would only be gone for a short time, he had a difficult time, barking to show his anxiety. Finally, I put the other dog in the kitchen with him. He did a 100% turn around. So then I tried giving them both the run of the house, and both were happy campers and no one got into any trouble. I know my suggestion may not be practical, but the company of another dog was the answer to my dog's separation anxiety.

Jan
10-04-2000, 01:01 AM
I too am having the same problem with Sasha who chews on everything. She came from a rescue league and is approx 7 mos. We've had her for 4 and just can't seem to break this habit. She has lots of toys plus the company of two other buddies. I hate to have to put her in her cage when gone. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jan

RottieLover
10-04-2000, 08:20 PM
I gave my rottie a rawhide, a big one
I'd have to sneek out of the house when he got really into it & he'd forget about it..... now he's fine when I'm gone... he goes nuts when I get home. but this worked for me. ~~

carrie
10-09-2000, 06:27 PM
Hi,
I am really getting in to this so if everyone is getting bored seeing my name on every page please tell me and I'll shut up, at least for a while!!!
Seperation anxiety is stressful for everybody involved and I really feel every dog owner should have an eye on every new dog for at least six months for signs of it. The earlier it is picked up, before it becomes a problem, the easier it is to deal with. With an established pattern of destructive behaviour the only sure cure is time, effort, commitment and patience.
Do not change your routine when leaving the house, put on your shoes and coat, whatever is normal but return in a couple of minutes, praising good conduct and TOTALLY ignoring anything not so good. So no praise if there was barking or chewing. Half an hour later repeat this for 5 minutes, then 7, 10, 15 and so on. Only go add on time away when there has been good behaviour and always be over the top in your praise. Remember to totally ignore the dog if something is amiss.
This may take some time so make sure you can keep it up before you start, I had a friend who had to drive her car around the block to convince her GSD that she had gone! She had to get a neighbour to listen in the garden every half hour!! But in two weeks the dog was calm and happy to be left, hard work but worth it.
Lastly the best distraction I have found is a small red, rubber toy called a Kong. Get a couple and fill with dog food and leave in the freezer. When you leave quietly place one on the floor and instantly the dog has something else to think about. Always remove it when you return.
Hope this helps, good luck.

RachelJ
10-10-2000, 08:43 AM
Carrie, I've read all your posts this morning and they are very informative and interesting. Don't hesitate to comment on anything and everything. We are all here to learn and share what we have discovered. There are situations where what works with one dog, doesn't necessarily work with another, so we need all the advice we can get. I think you will fit in real well with this group.

sammi
10-20-2000, 09:52 AM
Need Help!! Our 11mo. old lab.X has been chewing branches off the bushes and chewing away off and on. Came home yesterday and he had chewed off a large section of the lattice off the top of the deck and is working on the bench! Any ideas what I can do to get him to stop? He has lots of toys he plays with and is not a chewer. Is fairly mellow and not really excited when he is left outside in the fence alone for a few hours. I can't seem to catch him in the act. We have been planning on replacing our chain link fence with a wood fence - but geez that might not be a real good idea anymore! Thanks