PDA

View Full Version : So angry over a poor beardie...

Sophist
06-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I am house-sitting for a woman. I don't know her very well, but she chose me to house-sit because she has two good-sized pythons, a gecko, 3 big dogs, a cat, and some fish, and I was the only person she knew who had experience with all of the above. She told me those were all of her pets. I have been watching her house for about 3 days, and all was going well. All of her pets are healthy, beautiful, and very well-pampered. Today I went out to the garage to start defrosting more dog food (she is a BARF fanatic) and on top of the big freezer out there was a cold, dehydrated, severely emaciated beardie (bearded dragon). I am trying desperately to get it warmed, rehydrated, and to get it to take some green beans, at least... my reptile vet is about 80 miles away and pretty much unreachable on the weekends. I usually have a couple I can rely on in an emergency nearby (not vets, but 50+ years of experience plus herpetology degrees, etc) but THEY are on vacation, too. It's a little beside the point, because I really do believe it is too far gone to help, but I have to try. I have left several messages for the owner, but she hasn't called me back yet. I want to hear what she has to say for herself. I am tempted to report her to animal control if she knowingly left it out there to starve, but it won't help. Animal control here (and the humane society) think all reptiles should be destroyed anyway. I am so furious I just needed to vent. I just don't understand how she could be so resonsible and loving to some pets, and then just allow one to suffer and be ignored.

chrissycat21
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh my gosh! :eek: I really hope you can save the poor beardie. Please keep us updated. :(

lute
06-18-2006, 10:37 PM
poor beardie! i hope he lives! good luck and keep us updated!

Zippy
06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
How could she love her others and not love that poor beardie and to leave him die a horriable death?!
Please keep us updated.

buttercup132
06-19-2006, 02:00 PM
:eek: :eek: :mad:
Omg thats so horrible how could someone with so many loved pets do this!?!
UGh makes me sick. I'd love to here her excuse for this. Please keep updated

Sophist
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry, I have been gone and not able to update. She couldn't offer any more information than that she just could never get a handle on caring for it, and so 'gave up' and just expected him to be dead before she got back. I ended up force-feeding him some liquefied food, and even got ahold of someone I consider an expert, but he passed on while they were on their way. :(

It was pretty depressing and frustrating. The past few months, it has seemed like one major situation after another shaking my faith in my ability to make even the tiniest difference in the well-being of the animals around me.

She did say she felt bad, but wasn't as 'connected' to her non-furry pets. I am fostering her two snakes, and helping her in her efforts to rehome the Tokay...

lv4dogs
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
What a terrible story with a tragic ending. I am glad you are helping her, seems like she needs it. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for trying to save the beardie. At least he knew what love was before he passed. Kudos to you.

Zippy
07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Sorry about the Beardie you did everything you could.If she didn't feel conneted to her first non-fur pet why did she get more????

zoomer
07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
OMG! What a... oh god, I cannot believe this lady! She could've at the least contacted an animal/reptile rescue or even a pet store to take him! :mad: :mad:

jesse_3
07-09-2006, 12:37 AM
(((((HUGS))))) at least you tried to save the poor beardie:( He was warm, and knew what love was, and he could finally relax. I am sorry that he didn't make it.
As for that lady, I would report her, there is NO excuse for doing that to ANY animal...of course, we all know that. Too bad the whole world can't just agree with us...This is so depressing.

Thanks for trying, I am sure that beardie was happier being in your care.
Stephanie