PDA

View Full Version : Question About Retractable Leashes

elizabethann
06-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Has anybody's retractable leash every broken (like the leash snapped)?

Pembroke_Corgi
06-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I had one when we just had Marta, and it never broke, but it did slip out of my hand one time and she tore off after a rabbit. I personally don't like them. If they get tangled around your legs (or someone else's) it is very painful, and it's easier to lose a grip on them then a normal leash.

IRescue452
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Autumn has had several break. She is 45 pounds and can break a leash made for 100+ pounds. I don't like retractable leashes at all. For some reason we use them at the boarding kennel I work in, even though just about every one is tied in a knot once or twice because they broke.

zoomer
06-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Buddy broke one, the leash came right out of the holder :o

joycenalex
06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
alex has had a retractable leash since 1998. works fine, he's pulled it out of my hand, once, going after a rabbit. and when we're just wandering around on a walk, i think he likes it better.

k9krazee
06-18-2006, 02:29 PM
I have one, and it has never broke. Pulled out of my hand a few times, sure, but hasn't broke. I usually use it with 45 pound Jack.

DogLover9501
06-18-2006, 02:35 PM
My mom uses them for the small dogs(always have), and, we've never had any break.

I wouldn't use them with Jasper, just because I need more control over a 70 pound dog, but it's pretty easy controlling the little dogs with them.

GreyhoundDaddy
06-18-2006, 02:56 PM
I HATE them and the presumptuous people that use them. They let their dogs trapse about with no regard to anyone else... let them go exploring in people's yards, approach strange dogs without knowing anything about them, let their leads get wrapped around the legs of other people/dogs, etc., etc., etc...

They are by far the worst form of lead out there.

DogLover9501
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I HATE them and the presumptuous people that use them. They let their dogs trapse about with no regard to anyone else... let them go exploring in people's yards, approach strange dogs without knowing anything about them, let their leads get wrapped around the legs of other people/dogs, etc., etc., etc...

We use them for our small dogs, and they are never allowed to do any of those things! They were still taught how to walk correctly, and to stay on the sidewalk.

elizabethann
06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I use one on Fenway when we're out in the woods, cemetary and ballfields. He could care less about the people walking by or the other dogs. He's only interested in chipmunks. I sometimes use them around the house but we live at the only stop light in town and it can get pretty busy. I would DIE if it ever broke and Fenway got hit by a car. Perhaps I'll use the "normal" leash around the house and then switch it when we get to the woody areas where there are no cars.

Thanks again.

:)

Kfamr
06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
I used one when Kiara, Nebo, Amy, and I went hiking in Utah. That's the only times I've ever used one. So, I haven't had much experience with them.

I prefer the double loop leads when walking. I like to have control over them when we're walking. Kiara prefers no lead and actually behaves better without one - my voice is the only control she needs.

Kiara is the same way as Fenway. She couldn't care less about people or other animals. She's weird and does get an occasional urge to walk up to another dog or person, but it's rare and a very quick sniff, that's all.

lute
06-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Beanie broke one a few years ago. it was cheap and old. it wasn't a real big deal though. i have like 5 retractable leashes.

pnance
06-18-2006, 11:27 PM
I've had 2 break...I don't usually use them when I'm walking the dogs in the neighborhood or public places, way to easy to loose control or get tangled. I do use them when hiking or walking a trail we sometimes use where no one else is around.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-18-2006, 11:37 PM
I've had one break and luckily, Tango was on it at the time as she's the only one of my dogs who can be trusted off leash and actually behaves better without a leash. I don't care for them, but I do occasionally use one with Tango when I'm at the river in the summer or walking through the forested area on my Aunt's land. I'd never use one in the city though. I much prefer regular leashes.

Suki Wingy
06-19-2006, 12:55 AM
no, but he's broken a chain leash and a tie out before lunging at our old neighbor. (He gets really mad that she's scared of him.) I use one occasionally when we run in the field that is meant for 45 lb dogs and he's 55 lbs.

bckrazy
06-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I bought this really awesome flexi when Gonzo was less than 1 year old, I only use it on trails/open areas, not in or near the street. But, when I got home from vaccation one night, he was super excited so I just took him for a run on his flexi (there are no cars anywhere in my town after 9 PM :rolleyes: ), and he was so hyped up that he ran around a tree and came racing back to me and snapped the flexi! It lasted 3 years, though, and it only cost $25-ish. I would never use one anywhere near busy roads, ever. It does come in handy when you don't want to walk off-leash but there is space for them to roam.

vinjashira
06-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Snowy's old retractable leashes broke not long ago after almost 2 years. It was a cord one for dogs up to 15kg (Snowy is less than 5kg). I bought a new one which is a webbing one for dogs up to 35kg which will hopefully last longer. I like the new one as the webbing is easier to hold or pull when I have to.

I disagree strongly that retractable leashes are the worst leashes, I salute the people who invented them. Walking Snowy in the summer, when people are picnicking everywhere and leave the food lying around, or on places that you are legally bound to use a leash, or on new places you're not so sure whether they are safe or not, couldn't be better without a retractable leash. She still has a degree of freedom and yet I still have the full control.

anna_66
06-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I have three, one for each dog (since they are different weights) and I've never had one break, not even with my 150+ lb dog Bon. But then again we don't go too many places we could use them much.
I like the fact if we're somewhere they could roam a little I can let them with the flexi leash.

GreyhoundDaddy
06-19-2006, 06:38 AM
See what I mean about presumptuousness?

Fact of the matter is is that retractable leashes are not effective as has been proven by this thread. Just about every single person who has replied has stated that at one time or another their "flxi-lead" has broken on them

I own a 70lb retired racing American Greyhound, an 81lbs active racer and a 61lbs active racer. All of them are walked on 6ft leather leads and are always in complete control when on walks. They neither stray into people's yards, picnics, streets.. their leads don't entangle people's or other dogs legs and they DONT BREAK.

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 08:47 AM

Fact of the matter is is that retractable leashes are not effective as has been proven by this thread. Just about every single person who has replied has stated that at one time or another their "flxi-lead" has broken on them

I own a 70lb retired racing American Greyhound, an 81lbs active racer and a 61lbs active racer. All of them are walked on 6ft leather leads and are always in complete control when on walks. They neither stray into people's yards, picnics, streets.. their leads don't entangle people's or other dogs legs and they DONT BREAK.
So what nothing is perfect. Sooner or later EVERYTHING will break shatter or bust. There is nothing wrong with retractable leashes! Have you ever even owned one??? I have had one for a few years now. Ever since we first got Snuggles. And it hasn't broken. We are looking for a new one because it is old and scratched from all the times I have dropped it :rolleyes: but still it is in one piece and perfectly usable. You have large dogs so naturally they would break it easier than my 10 pound shih tzu would. No matter what the weight limit is I don't think they are for larger dogs. Some dogs are just not as well trained as others. It just depends on your dog. And if you have to keep your dogs on six feet at all times then obviously if they had more leeway they would take advantage of it and start tangling. But they are retractable so when you get closer to the dog you have more control. Also most are built with a locking feature.

caseysmom
06-19-2006, 08:54 AM

Actually I think its pretty presumptuous to lump all retractable leash users into the same heap.

GreyhoundDaddy
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Actually I think its pretty presumptuous to lump all retractable leash users into the same heap.

Think what you may.. but, my stance is based on experience. The vast majority of people, no matter what they say on a forum, let their dogs extend their lead in order to go "say hi" to strange dogs. Thusly, lengthening the lead only serves to highten the possibility of something (an altercation or the lead wrapping around legs or breaking) occuring.

I stand by my orginal statement in that I HATE them.

wolf_Q
06-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree that they shouldn't be used around streets and in busy areas. I don't like when I have my dog on a shorter leash and someone else's dog is on one of those bothering my dog and the owner isn't even paying attention. When going on a normal walk I always use a 6 ft normal leash with the extra handle to keep him close to me.

But that said I still think they can be great. Nebo, being a siberian husky, can't be offleash. So when we go hiking I'd like for him to have a bit of room to roam and explore so I use a retractable leashes. If I see people/dogs/wildife nearby I get him closer to me and out of their way. I've never had a problem with one breaking. I prefer the tape leash and I believe the one I have is made for dogs heavier than mine so I think its safer that way.

Just because some people use them incorrectly doesn't mean that retractable leashes in general are a bad thing.

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 09:26 AM
We don't use Snuggles leash in busy areas but yeah she can't be off leash so the retractable is excellent for that! :)

caseysmom
06-19-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree that they shouldn't be used around streets and in busy areas. I don't like when I have my dog on a shorter leash and someone else's dog is on one of those bothering my dog and the owner isn't even paying attention. When going on a normal walk I always use a 6 ft normal leash with the extra handle to keep him close to me.

But that said I still think they can be great. Nebo, being a siberian husky, can't be offleash. So when we go hiking I'd like for him to have a bit of room to roam and explore so I use a retractable leashes. If I see people/dogs/wildife nearby I get him closer to me and out of their way. I've never had a problem with one breaking. I prefer the tape leash and I believe the one I have is made for dogs heavier than mine so I think its safer that way.

Just because some people use them incorrectly doesn't mean that retractable leashes in general are a bad thing.

Those 20-30ft training leads are great for situations like that also. We go to a lot of beaches that require leashes and I use those so the dogs can run but not get away from me.

vinjashira
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM

I can not agree with you more. I'm not saying everyone should use it but it is a good thing for me and as I said I still have full control of my dog when I am using a retractable lead. I keep the leash short on busy roads and no I don't let my dog roam in people's yards or let the leash tangling people legs or anything for that matter. and by the way when I said Snowy's extractable lead broke, I meant the extractable leash stopped working correctly, thus needed replacing. I didn't mean the leash broke into two and the dog ran away :D

ParNone
06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
In the past, I've used a flexi lead on hiking, but got a nasty lil' rope burn on my leg from a friend's flexi, so I wasn't quite as fond of them after that. I've never had one break, but Gull did chew through the line and I never replaced it.

I like to use a 30ft regular nylon lead now, for hiking or places like the beach where I want them to have a lil' more flexibility to run around. Course seems like the last few times I've gone, my friend was using my long lead for her JRT and Oz ended up on just a 6ft lead. Here's a lil' pic of Oz with his 6ft lead on and Idgie the JRT has my long 30ft red one attached:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p7807646314a138f9a4cdeb9947d7d784/f8c0d3d2.jpg

It works really well in open spaces, which is really the only time I'd be giving them that much lead anyway. If Idg starts to toodle off from us, it's real easy to catch up and step on the leash to stop her. They do get awfully dirty, so they get tossed in the wash after any outing and they become a tangled mess if you don't coil'em up properly like you would an electrical cord.

Par...

lizbud
06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't like them for my dogs, but my neighbors walk their three Poms
with flexi leads & they do fine. I personally like to have more control over
my dogs on walks. I even walk them one at a time.

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I like to use a 30ft regular nylon lead now, for hiking or places like the beach where I want them to have a lil' more flexibility to run around. Course seems like the last few times I've gone, my friend was using my long lead for her JRT and Oz ended up on just a 6ft lead. Here's a lil' pic of Oz with his 6ft lead on and Idgie the JRT has my long 30ft red one attached:

Do you know where you got it? We have been looking for one!

ParNone
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi shihtzulover!

I got it at Petsmart. I think they had them all the way upto 50 ft.

Les...

elizabethann
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I like to use a 30ft regular nylon lead now, for hiking or places like the beach where I want them to have a lil' more flexibility to run around.

That 30 ft lead is cool. But what's the difference between a lead & a leash? Are you on the other end of the 30ft lead with a handle in your hand? That would be cool for Fenway at the beach or on a super long hike.

Thanks!

lv4dogs
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
If they get tangled around your legs (or someone else's) it is very painful, and it's easier to lose a grip on them then a normal leash.
Oh yes, I still have a 6-10" scar on my leg from a retractable leash. ouch

I've never had one break but they only get used if I have 1-2 dogs and not many people are around.

Glacier
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I use one for Kayleigh. I use the all tape one. I like them much better than the rope ones and no rope burns! That leash has made a world of difference in Kayleigh's life. Kayleigh has issues, issues that are serious and will never be resolved. On the flexi-leash, I can still control her and keep her out of trouble, plus if no one is around she gets to explore a bit.

I don't use it if she has to go to the vet(about the only time she goes to town). I personally prefer a dog that's at least on a flexi-leash than one that is off-lead and the owner can't control it! That happens much more often around here.

lisahumphreys882
06-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I was walking someone elses dog and the leash snapped. Personally from what a lot of people are saying on here about the leash falling out of their hands and it snapping i don't think they're all that great

ParNone
06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
elizabethann writes:

That 30 ft lead is cool. But what's the difference between a lead & a leash? Are you on the other end of the 30ft lead with a handle in your hand? That would be cool for Fenway at the beach or on a super long hike.

Oh I use lead and leash interchangeably. The 30ft lead or leash is no different from a normal leash. It has a metal clip at one end and a loop to hold onto at the other.

I can't remember if Judes is holding onto Idgie in that shot. Since I'm right there at the other end taking a picture, she might not have been. We'd never let Idgie get ahead of both of us though, without holding onto the leash, cuz off she'd go. "Come" is not in her vocabulary. We joked that one thing we needed to train Oz to do was go get the leash and bring her back to us. :)

Par...

Sevaede
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM

I wholeheartedly agree.

Also, Greyhounddad, what *exactly* do people who use retractible leashes presume? How does that make you hate those people, in any case?

The cases that you pointed out may have inadvertently led to a mishap with the lead but that can happen with anything. It seemed to be several cases of faults on the leash handlers part and not the leash itself. I had regular leashes that broke in several spots due to my GS and Rottie/GS breaking them.

GreyhoundDaddy
06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
It's presumptuous to think that there aren't inherant problems associated with these leashes. I don't have to point out their problems.. your fellow forum members have illustrated this fact for us several times. And this is just a microcosm of pet ownership.. Imagine all the people out and about who don't post to boards such as this who have problems. Hell, I just got back from walking my girl and a chick with a snarky little pug had it's flexi- extended 20ft and they weren't going to retract it unless I said anything!!! That my friends, is ****** and I don't care what anyone says about it.

Like I said, I have 3 racers (2 active and one retired)... all of whom are walked on 6ft leather leads. None ever break.. know why? Because I buy quality leads to keep not only my dogs safe, but, other people's pets (such as free-range cats) safe from my dogs. I don't have a single lead that is over a year old and I'm not going to wait till a lead breaks or shows signs of wear till I decide to get a new one.

Maybe "hate" is too harsh a word as I certainly don't hate anyone. But, I sure as *** hate those darned 'leads'.

CagneyDog
06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Hating the leashes and hating those who use them are two different things. I use one occasionally, however my dog is trained so he is not running in every which direction, going in yards, saying hi to people etc. I'm not an irresponsible owner, my dog is complete control while on this leash. Sorry that you have such a pompous and exagerated view about me and others that use these leashes.

caseysmom
06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
There are minors on this board, I personally don't like the foul language and doubt many others care for it.

GreyhoundDaddy
06-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Hating the leashes and hating those who use them are two different things....Sorry that you have such a pompous and exagerated view about me and others that use these leashes.

Looks like you didnt read my last post.

CagneyDog
06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Looks like you didnt read my last post.

Oh I did, it was just very contradictory. You go from saying this: "And this is just a microcosm of pet ownership" to "Maybe "hate" is too harsh a word as I certainly don't hate anyone. But, I sure as hell hate those damn 'leads'." Although that statement is slightly more classy than the last few it still reflects that all of us retractable leash users are irresponsible. Especially with the second paragraph in that reply.

Sevaede
06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
It's presumptuous to think that there aren't inherant problems associated with these leashes. I don't have to point out their problems.. your fellow forum members have illustrated this fact for us several times. And this is just a microcosm of pet ownership.. Imagine all the people out and about who don't post to boards such as this who have problems. Hell, I just got back from walking my girl and a chick with a snarky little pug had it's flexi- extended 20ft and they weren't going to retract it unless I said anything!!! That my friends, is bullshit and I don't care what anyone says about it.

Like I said, I have 3 racers (2 active and one retired)... all of whom are walked on 6ft leather leads. None ever break.. know why? Because I buy quality leads to keep not only my dogs safe, but, other people's pets (such as free-range cats) safe from my dogs. I don't have a single lead that is over a year old and I'm not going to wait till a lead breaks or shows signs of wear till I decide to get a new one.

Maybe "hate" is too harsh a word as I certainly don't hate anyone. But, I sure as hell hate those damn 'leads'.

But you keep pointing out things that are due to faultiness on the HANDLERS part not the leash itself. Then wouldn't it be presumptuous to not think about the inherent problems in EVERYTHING? There are pros and cons to everything. Yes, I would have to agree about that lady with the pug. She should keep a better eye and watch her pooch. But I don't think that because she was being negligent about what her dog was doing that that's an essential characteristic of the retractable leash. =/

The quality of the leads that I buy are nothing short of top notch. However, Chyna was a master of busting them on her first try.

I've had several retractable leads of different varieties and they work wonderfully for me. There are exceptions to every rule, though, I can't deny that. Mine were all the kind with the long cord.

To each their own, right?