PDA

View Full Version : houseing a betta with other fish?

lute
06-16-2006, 06:57 PM
can you house a male betta with fish of another kind? which kinds would they get along with best?

zoomer
06-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't suggest it, you never know what will happen, they were 'made' to fight other fish. A female Betta is good with any kind of fish though.

IRescue452
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
They can be housed with livebearers, though they'll eat the fry. Tetras, loaches, otos, most tropcal fish except gourami. You do come across aggressive fish, but that will happen in any tropical tank. I have had my male (who is aggressive with females) with a platy for a while and both stay out of each other's way respectfully. Fancy bettas sold in stores were not made to fight. They were made to have beautiful flowing fins. They also don't have the hard "teeth" scales and muscles of a conditioned fighter. Fighting fish don't fight to the death either, they flare and chase and bite fins until one gives up, but the don't often die and aren't often badly injured. I find my females can be much more aggressive.

Sevaede
06-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Right now, our betta has a little regular plecostomus buddy. I believe that they can coexist with angel fish, as well.

lute
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
thanks! :D

Zippy
06-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Right now, our betta has a little regular plecostomus buddy. I believe that they can coexist with angel fish, as well.

Really I thought angelfish where some of the most mean fish to other fish???

Kfamr
06-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep, they can easily bed housed with other fish.

One of my RB male bettas was living in a tank at the pet store (that's why I like buying from them, they don't keep them in little cups.) I didn't pay much attention to what was in the tank with him but I did spot some Neons and a Pleco.

Kfamr
06-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't suggest it, you never know what will happen, they were 'made' to fight other fish. A female Betta is good with any kind of fish though.

Not true.

I've found a lot of female Bettas a ton more aggressive than others. Male Bettas can be housed with other fish - just usually not other male Bettas. There are rare occurences though, just like with every other animal, where Bettas or other fish can just be plain nasty when it comes to living with another.

binka_nugget
06-17-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't have any other fish other than bettas.. but I have a lot of experience with bettas so I thought I'd throw in my experience.

When I had a community tank, I found that every single one of my males that I put into the community tank, ended up picking on the guppies. I later found out that because of their (guppies) flowing fins, bettas can confuse them with other males. They did fine with the corydoras and plecos though.

Since most females can live with other females, you may have more luck with them in a community tank. But I have run across the odd female who is just as aggressive as any male.

I'd suggest going with something non-aggressive that doesn't resemble a betta in terms of finnage. If you avoid that, you should be okay.

Suki Wingy
06-17-2006, 02:12 PM
my dad and I are about to try a few dwarf corys in with one this summer.

jackie
06-17-2006, 04:33 PM

Sorry, but that is not true at all. They dislike other labrynth fish, and as someone said above, do not do will with fish with long fins.

They do great in any peaceful community tank. :)

lute
06-17-2006, 05:52 PM
should i stay away from any certain kind of fish?

Sevaede
06-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Really I thought angelfish where some of the most mean fish to other fish???

I guess I should have put "supposedly" somewhere in there. I've heard that they can live with angelfish because the bettas won't attack them for some reason or another. However, I've not found anything to prove or disprove this idea. :) My angelfish was very nice to the three other fish and african frog it lived with. He was very sweet! :D

jackie
06-18-2006, 09:43 AM
should i stay away from any certain kind of fish?
No gouramis, guppies, or any fish that are known to be nippy (like barbs).

I wouldn't recommed angelfish, some angels are territorial, and betta's fins are too delicate.

What is your tank size?

IRescue452
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
It depends on your tank size what fish to get. No cichlids and no goldfish (because goldies are coldwater fish).

Argranade
06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Well since betta's tempature and change I house all my fish together and there all fine well except for 1 :( I found my largest Goldfish Lucky dead yesterday my brother was playing in the tank and caught him in the net.

At the pet store I always see female betta fish housed with Angel fish.

My bettas and gold fish do fine together well now I only have one gold fish 2 famale bettas and 1 male since Northtale died Im not shur why I think it was from the dirty water at Wal-mart.Im gona take his body back to wal-mart and tell the manager that his water was dirty and not clean hopefuly they'll start taking better care of them. :rolleyes:

Rest In peace Northtale. :(