PDA

View Full Version : The Healthy Thread!

Muddy4paws
06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
OK bear with me here, I dont know if this will take off or not, But reading another thread made me think of this one!

I've read that alot of people aren't happy with their weight so I though we could dedicate this thread to helping everyone by posting tips and healthy recipes? Anything that works long term no silly fad diets because I think most of them sound dangerous anyway!

Anyway share your thoughts!! :D

lute
06-16-2006, 05:32 PM
i always park in the last parking space in a poarkinglot so i have to walk the whole way to the store.

getting your 9 glasses of water a day REALLY helps! i feel more energetic, it clears your system, and it's just really darn healthy fer ya.

a wierd thing i do to stop eating every time i'm just bored is to chew a piece of gum or something. i'm not as bored and i'm not stuffing my face with a stupid amout of food.

sorry if this is kinda dumb stuff to put.

Muddy4paws
06-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Lute, Thats exactly the kind of stuff I meant :)

Aspen and Misty
06-17-2006, 11:44 PM
a wierd thing i do to stop eating every time i'm just bored is to chew a piece of gum or something. i'm not as bored and i'm not stuffing my face with a stupid amout of food.

I am so guilty of this! I just recently started catching myself. I never thought of chewing gum, thanks!

Hey, should I throw myself a party? Today I got on the scale and relized I finally hit the 40 pound mark!! Took me six months to loose it all but I feel SO much better! :D

Ashley

finn's mom
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
eat breakfast. i'm serious, it is one thing i will not pass up on ever again. even if it's just a cereal bar or a piece of toast with peanut butter. it really does make all the difference in how hungry you are throughout the day and how much you end up eating at lunch. i swear by it. also, as was already mentioned, drinking water. everything's just better when you do. and, convenience is key. do your best to make healthy foods in your home easy to eat. i won't eat veggies throughout the week unless they're already cut up. so i just grab them and munch. if i have to cut up a pepper or a cucumber or something, i won't do it. i'll eat junk. so, i will buy veggies and wash and cut them up first thing. then i am more likely to eat them. kashi makes great stuff, i like their cereals and bars. yummy. and, eat berries, they're not as full of sugar as most other fruit and they're wonderful for you. i can't remember the last time my fridge didn't have at least blue- and raspberries. ;)

lute
06-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey, should I throw myself a party? Today I got on the scale and relized I finally hit the 40 pound mark!! Took me six months to loose it all but I feel SO much better! :D

Ashley

CONGRATS!!! that had to be tough! i need to loose atleast 20-30lbs for me to be comfortable with myself again.

Rachel
06-18-2006, 10:17 AM
\ convenience is key. do your best to make healthy foods in your home easy to eat. i won't eat veggies throughout the week unless they're already cut up. so i just grab them and munch. if i have to cut up a pepper or a cucumber or something, i won't do it. i'll eat junk. so, i will buy veggies and wash and cut them up first thing. then i am more likely to eat them. kashi makes great stuff, i like their cereals and bars. yummy. and, eat berries, they're not as full of sugar as most other fruit and they're wonderful for you. i can't remember the last time my fridge didn't have at least blue- and raspberries. ;)

I'll second that. Having the *good stuff* on hand and not having the *other stuff* available is critical for me. Also having the good stuff cut up and ready to eat is important. My mantra, although I don't always live by it, is fruits and vegetables. There is a doctor who recommends the no sugar, no flour diet, but I'm not ready to give up bread, although I do eat 100% whole wheat bread.

IRescue452
06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I second the breakfast. The time I lost weight really good was when I had a large breakfast every morning. Also balance your diet, don't eat too much of anything.

Kfamr
06-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I have an occasional craving for pizza. Instead of giving into my craving, I make my own.

Take a flour tortilla, fresh ripe tomatoes, your favorite cheese, veggies, etc.

Mash the tomatoes or just chop them finely and make a paste, add basil or favorite herb for taste. Spread it on the tortilla. Add small amount of cheese and your favorite toppings.

Bake in the oven until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted.

Keep lots of bottled water in your fridge. I don't think I'd drink water as often if it wasn't so convenient.

Got a pooch? Take him/her for extra walks or romps in the park daily.

Got a pool or local public pool? Swim everyday! Especially in the warmer months coming, swimming is very relaxing too.

Instead of snacking on a bag of potato chips, get a bag of carrot sticks/chips/baby carrots/etc. They fill you up and are good for you!

joanofark
06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Got a pool or local public pool? Swim everyday! Especially in the warmer months coming, swimming is very relaxing too.

Ditto! Last year was the first year we had a pool. I lost about 5 pounds, and I wasn't even trying! :eek:

Ditto the water thing too. If you Drink a lot of that, you won't have as many cravings to snack..