PDA

View Full Version : Jenna is ok! :)

lldaniels21
06-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Jenna got her shots, spaying, and declawing today and everything went beautifully. She's just a bit grumpy...but the vet said she would be like that. Just wanted to update everyone! :)

jazzcat
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Glad she is okay but sorry to hear you had her declawed.

catmandu
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Its your choice to declaw.
I would rather see a Cat declawed that not have a home at all.
I wouldnt declaw myself, but I dont have really nice things that clawing would ruin.
We are so pleased that Jenna now has a Furr Ever Home.
Thats the important thing.

RedHedd
06-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Glad she is okay but sorry to hear you had her declawed.
Ditto. :(

lldaniels21
06-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't understand the big deal about getting her declawed. :confused: She scratches on EVERYTHING. :eek:

slick
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't understand the big deal about getting her declawed. :confused: She scratches on EVERYTHING. :eek:
You don't really want to go there....unless you want to see this thread turn ugly.

catmandu
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
JJJ3, Bo ,Precious and Shemp came to me declawed, and they show no ill effects.
I wouldnt do that myself, but the main thing is that Jenna has her Furr Ever Home, and there will be no tensions over scratched furniture.

lldaniels21
06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm not trying to be mean..I just would like to know why you feel so strongly about not declawing cats.

Prairie Purrs
06-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Here's some information:

FAQs on cat declawing (http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp)

In a nutshell, it's extremely painful for the cat and can lead to unwanted behaviors such as biting and litter box avoidance. It's illegal in many countries and opposed by many U.S. organizations such as the ASPCA and the Humane Society.

lldaniels21
06-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Jenna doesn't have bandages on her paws. She just has glue on them. I didn't know declawing was such a big deal. I called many vets in town and the shelter where I got her from recommended it as well.

slick
06-16-2006, 06:27 PM
This is what Jenna has just gone through. As far as I'm concerned, you've scarred her for life. Why would you not want to train her to use a scratching post??

http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

Any vet or rescue organization who recommends declawing ought to be put out of business.

My RB kitty Speckles was declawed by her previous owners. She didn't have litterbox issues but she was a biter, especially if you got anywhere near her paws.

...and that's all I've got to say about that.

lldaniels21
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
I honestly would not like to look at the "gory pics". I asked the vet the procedure they do and she said that they cut her nails as far as they can and then glue skin over it so it is not as painful. Jenna is doing fine and my older cat Frisky was a great cat. He was declawed as well.

dionne
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
i personally would rather deal with cats scratching on furniture than putting them in pain, but then again i dont really care about material things, such as furniture...but i understand a lot of people do, but if i was them id just get some feliway and spray it on places not to be scratched...it works very good for me i must say, especially keeping them from the top of the fridge so they dont eat my bagels....

kitten645
06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
they cut her nails as far as they can and then glue skin over it so it is not as painful

That makes no sense. :confused: Think about it..if they cut your nail back as far as possible and glued the skin over they would just grow back and cut thru the skin :eek:
Read the info offered here. People are trying to educate owners. For Jenna it's too late. I hope she doesn't end up with problems. Good luck. :)

jazzcat
06-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I hope this can stay nice. I'd hate for you feel attacked and leave because of it.

When I first came here I didn't have a clue what declawing involved but learned quickly from posts and debates here. I would never do it to a cat now but I can't say that would have been the case 4 years ago. PT has taught me a lot.

I hope Jenna continues to do well.

Catty1
06-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi - glad Jenna is ok!

Chances are someone has developed a less invasive declawing procedure.

I'm gonna go check into it!

hugs
catty1

Catty1
06-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Let's take a look at one method of declawing a housecat. (Many surgeons will utilize laser surgery for this procedure or some other method... there is no single and universal method.) In this procedure the last phalanx of each front toe is removed, the incision is sealed with surgical glue and the paw is bandaged overnight. The bandages are removed prior to the cat's leaving the hospital and healing takes place at home over the next ten days.

Another method of declawing a cat really isn't a "declaw procedure". It involves cutting the tendon, just beneath the toe, that keeps the cat from exposing the claw. This is really not a declaw procedure and is less invasive but a relatively new procedure. Time will tell if it is better than actually removing the tiny bone with the claw.

CultureJunky
06-17-2006, 05:04 AM
lldaniels21 (sorry I don't know your real name)
Don't get too offended by what people are saying. They care for cats and want the best for their welfare (as you do for Jenna and all your cats) it's just a bit of an 'animal rights' subject I guess.
I personally think it's wrong, but as long as you look after Jenna and make sure she doesn't have any problems with the de-clawing, I'm sure she'll live a safe, healthy happy life.
Please don't leave and feel attacked (though I can see how you would feel that way right now) people are not attacking you personally, more the people who do these procedures and who promote it, as it is something that is wrong and should be outlawed everywhere not just some places. It's the people who offer this that are the ones in the wrong.
If you weren't aware of all the implications that's not your fault.
I would think twice about getting any other cats de-clawed though in the future.
I personally think it's taking away one of their natural instincts, which is to sharpen thier claws on things.
If you have any problems with a cat scratching furniture, then you can point them in the right direction with scratching posts or mats etc.
When they go for a piece of furniture just take them to the post and put their paws on it and show them. Cats are intelligent animals and will pick it up sooner or later. There are also other ways to guide them like offering treats if they use it (so they equate it with a reward) or put cat nip on the thier scratching posts/mats. There are lots of answers to scratching.

This is just a learning experience for you, and don't feel down about it.
At least you know more about it than you did before.
It'd be nice to see more pictures of Jenna soon.... :)

Sonia59
06-17-2006, 05:25 AM
I am glad to hear that Jenna is OK, but I am so sad to hear she is declawed :( It's just mutilation! It's not just like cutting the nails, it's cutting the finger tips. Do you know that? Would you cut the fingers of a human :confused: Declawing is forbidden in Europe (except for medical reasons), and I will never understand why it's allowed in US :mad: Here people even don't think about declawing, they are aware that cats can scratch things at home and if they don't like it, they don't take a cat. OK it's a big discussion and it's not the place to start it here.
I have no doubt you love your cat and you will take care of her. And as Gary said, at least she has a home, but I am just wondering whether you really know what declawing is?
And why do the vets do it? :mad:

And for the scratching, she needs to do it to "mark" her territory. You need to have enough scratching posts in the house so that she can smell that she is at home and that she feels safe. And you could also cut the nails a bit to make them less sharp. And teach her to use the scratching posts. There are many things to do before declawing...

orangemm
06-17-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm glad Jenna is doing okay; how is she today?

Do you have some pictures of your girl? We'd love to see some.

lldaniels21
06-17-2006, 07:12 AM
She is doing really well today. I'll try to post some pics later on.

lldaniels21
06-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Here are some pics of Jenna from this morning.

Catty1
06-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Awww...I love these pics! And she looks so lovey with her eyes closed like that!

The owies in her tummy and toes will go away soon - she sure looks comfy anyway!

Give her some head scritchies for me!

hugs
Catty1

CultureJunky
06-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Jenna is cute, I love the little spot on her nose :cool:
I also forgot to say about the reason cats claw things too is that I think they have glands in their toes that emit their scent so they put their smell on things (that's right isn't it guys?), like when they rub their faces on things. So that's another reason not to declaw.
Keep the pictures of Jenna coming though, she's beautiful.

lldaniels21
06-17-2006, 02:48 PM
More pics of Jenna taken jsut a few minutes ago. She is geting back to her old self. :)

CultureJunky
06-17-2006, 02:59 PM
She looks very thin in the last picture, like when we had Jack and sunny they were both thin, Jack was practically skin and bones...Is she a small cat or is she steadily putting on weight?

lldaniels21
06-17-2006, 03:33 PM
She is a year and a half and weighs 6 lbs. I don't know if that is good or bad :confused:

CultureJunky
06-17-2006, 05:32 PM
I think 6lbs is small. She must be a small cat. Sunny is a small cat. Jack is a big tom so I guess i'm used to seeing him, and he's a fat lump of a moggy!
You're supposed to able to feel a healthy cats ribs, but they mustn't be showing, and neither should their spine show. You should be able to feel their shoulder blades but they shouldn't stick out.
She is probably a small cat, but as long as she is eating and is healthy eating what she wants she's fine.

mrspunkysmom
06-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I try to get Spunky's nails trimmed on a regular basis. I've been slack on it this year and it's showing on my hands and the furniture. I should have bought a couch with better upholstery. The previous couch held up to 30 years of kids (me and the brothers) and cats and still wasn't worn that much. The frame broke.

Back to the nails: Spunky gets his nails trimmed the day of the surgery. I think it's common practice so he doesn't scratch himself afterward.

I've never tried the nail tips; some people do it with success. The tendon idea sounds interesting. I do prefer regular clipping and grooming. The fellas get a once a year bath as it is. I wish I could do it myself but the fellas are too squirmy. Besides they are sufficiently freaked out at a groomers so that they are easier to do. A snake would be easier to do.

I could never de-claw, but I try not to pass judgement especially if the people don't know better. It's a lesser evil for now because the cat is off the street and in a loving home.

Anne

Sevaede
06-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Jenna is cute, I love the little spot on her nose :cool:
I also forgot to say about the reason cats claw things too is that I think they have glands in their toes that emit their scent so they put their smell on things (that's right isn't it guys?), like when they rub their faces on things. So that's another reason not to declaw.
Keep the pictures of Jenna coming though, she's beautiful.

Yes, about the scent glands in the paws, that is correct! :D I did not know, however, that there were scent glands in the face! I thought the boy kitty was just being friendly and sweet! Turns out he is just marking his territory, eh? :D

Sevaede
06-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I've heard good things about nail caps, too. Here is a link to some: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=2975&N=2002+113036 .

momcat
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
What a little cutie! I'm happy to know that all went well for your little girl and pray that she'll have a complete and fast recovery. A word of caution though, be very careful that Jenna doesn't get outside. without her claws she has no way to defend herself against other cats or predators.

orangemm
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Jenna is a little sweetheart! I'm so glad she is doing ok and that she is getting back to normal. She may put on some weight now that she's been spayed, so that's something good!

lldaniels21
06-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes...I'm hoping she will put on some wieght. She is eating a lot more now that her drugs from the surgery have worn off. Jenna will be an inside cat all the time so you don't have to worry about her going outside to play :)

mrspunkysmom
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm glad Jenna is feeling better and doing well. Don't feel too bad about the de-clawing. Nail tips or clipping is always better. Spaying is a good thing to do.

I didn't know they had scent gands in the paws. I knew about the face/whiskers. That explains the excessive need to scratch.

Learn something new every day.

anne

CultureJunky
06-19-2006, 03:18 AM
Glad to hear Jenna is recovering from her surgery. She probably will put on weight now she's been spayed. She'll grow into a lovely young lady.
Be sure she has plenty of toys and distractions if she's a house cat so she doesn't get bored.

lldaniels21
06-19-2006, 10:42 AM
We just got her this new toy today. It's somewhat like a tunnel for her to run through and lay down in when she is tired. And the color is perfect for a girly princess cat :) Also attached is a pic of Jenna herself this morning.

CultureJunky
06-19-2006, 12:02 PM
That's very posh and pretty! I'm sure Jenna will love it. :)
Ping pong balls and toys with cat nip in them are really good too.
Jack & Sunny love the ping pong balls.

moosmom
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Slick is right. We've had MANY threads on declawing and believe me, they ALL turned VERY ugly.

Declawing is not a simple, nor painless procedure. Like I tell people, cut all your fingers off at the first joint and then be forced to walk on your hands. THAT'S what cat's have to deal with.

Did you know that the United States is the ONLY country that still allows the barbaric, inhumane procedure??? It's outlawed in the Europe.

lldaniels21
06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Well maybe I should delete this thread if you feel that way...

carole
06-20-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't think you should delete your thread, you were unaware that most people on PT are against declawing, for very good reasons, however what is done is done and we are all happy to hear Jenna is making a good recovery,it is a pity that people are not informed properly of the consquences that can occurr and that it is un-necessary really, it is also illegal in my country.

Take good care of Jenna and please just understand where people are coming from on this very controversal subject,do continue on a progress report about your kitty,we all do care ya know.

jazzcat
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
I totally agree with Carole, don't delete your post and please continue to post about sweet Jenna.

lldaniels21
06-21-2006, 08:02 AM
My Jenna Bear!

Catty1
06-21-2006, 08:45 AM
What a cutie! She has the sweetest face!

hugs
Catty1

lldaniels21
06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
She is getting back to herself...which I am so thankful for. She is wanting to play a lot more and be held. Jenna even got in her new "house" this morning :)

moosmom
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
lldaniels21,

Please don't delete the thread because of what I posted. I feel very strongly (about ALOT of things) about declawing. That doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to your opinion. I have edited my post.

To be honest with you, WAAAAAAY back when, before I knew anything about declawing, I had my now 12 year old cat declawed because I had gotten new furniture. To this day, I regret what I did. But you can't go back. Ever since then, I have learned to train my cats to use the scratching post. I know you love Jenna. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Give Jenna hugs and scritchies from me and my crew!

Donna

Pawsitive Thinking
06-21-2006, 09:43 AM

She's a cat - that's what they do! Glad she's ok though