PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times a Day to Eat

tazz1227
05-13-2002, 06:44 AM
How many times a day should I feed my "healthy" kids? I feed them their veggies at night. But when I get up their bowl is clean and they are circling my feet for food. I give them a couple of carrots in the morning but I am wondering if they should eat more than once and am I giving enough food for both of them. They have unlimited hay and water and as you can see they are not skinny.:D :D Just don't want them to be hungry during the day. Still trying to be a good mommy. :)

Heather Wallace
05-13-2002, 07:36 AM
I am sure you are a great mum Tazz. I read in a book that you should feed rabbits vegetables in the morning. Thats what i try and do, I feed the rabbits carrots, brocoli etc morning/afternoon. Also as you said plenty of hay and in the evening I give them a small amount of pellets/rabbit mix and thats them for the day. The also get treats now and again of course. Remeber don't over feed, I know they make you feel guilty but don't let them, rabbits just tend to eat and eat, like gold fish, they don't know when to stop.

tazz1227
05-13-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks Heather, I always feel so bad when they "beg" and look so cute !! :) How can you resist that face?? :confused: So you feed yours twice a day. I should leave something for them during the day. I do give them some snacks like apple or pear or some carrots when I get home in the afternoon. :p

Daisylover
05-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Everything I've read says buns should be fed twice a day. I just give my guys a pile of veggies and they end up grazing all day... they'll eat some and then take a nap or a bath and then eat a little more. They get unlimited timmy hay and fresh veggies both in the morning and evening; then every other evening they split about 2/3-3/4 cup of timothy based pellets between the four of them. For several years they didn't get any pellets, but then Velvet started losing weight for no apparent reason so I started giving him pellets and his weight is back up and he's acting just fine.... I add a very small piece of fruit about every 4 days or so as a treat.

My vet calls bunnies Eating Machines :)

tazz1227
05-13-2002, 12:55 PM
So I am starving my kids to death?? :( That is why when I get home they are circling my feed like they haven't eaten in DAYS???:( I am such a bad mommy !!! I will do better.

Daisylover
05-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean....Robbie always acts like I'm starving him on purpose and when I check
there will still be some veggies and hay left....I think it's all a Bunny Con Game. But it's an awfully cute one and it does get results. After all WHO can resist those little faces?!?!?!?!?

When they play this game, I just want to pick them up and give them all a scrunchy! :D

tazz1227
05-13-2002, 01:21 PM
I know !!! they are just so cute !! I will start to leave some veggies out during the day in case they get hungry !!

Heather Wallace
05-13-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by tazz1227
So I am starving my kids to death?? :( That is why when I get home they are circling my feed like they haven't eaten in DAYS???:( I am such a bad mommy !!! I will do better.

NO you are not starving them, my buns get a bout 2 main meal everyday plus plenty of hay every day so you are not starving them.

JUST LOOK AT LOSE PLUMP BELLIES!!!!

tazz1227
05-14-2002, 06:55 AM
I will start to leave food in the morning when I go to work. What veggies do you feed yours? I wonder if they get bored, I am getting bored with the brocolli, parsley, carrots, cilantro and occassional mint or basil. :)

Daisylover
05-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Dandelions are the very best but can be hard to find...
Red or Green leaf lettuce, collards, turnip and mustard greens (in limited quantities), herbs including dill and watercress, endive, escarole, bibb lettuce, radicchio (expensive!!!), bok choy (they love it), spinach, limited kale (they love that too). The dark outer cabbage leaves only... Basically, as long as the veg is dark green they should be able to have it...no beans or peas! :cool:

Heather Wallace
05-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Yes all those that Daisy mentioned. I feed them lettuce, brocoli, carrots etc to, they don't seem to bored with that diet.