PDA

View Full Version : Flyball??

*LabLoverKEB*
06-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Since most of you know, I now have 2 Labrador Retrievers: Sadie & Rita.
Also as many of us know, Labs LOVE tennis balls! :D ;)
I was reading the July 2006 issue of Dog Fancy, (has a Dobie on the cover) and they had an article on Flyball. Needless to say, I was very excited to read the article.
Do any of you compete/participate in flyball with your dogs? I kinda want to do it with Rita, when she is older. It sounds like a lot of fun, for the both of us! What kind of training will I have to do with Rita, in order to participate in Flyball with her?

If you have never heard of the canine sport flyball, or don't exactley know what it is, here is a site that can possible help you:
www.flyball.org

*LabLoverKEB*
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
*bump*

zoomer
06-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Flyball is an activity you'll need classes for, you can go here (http://www.google.com) and search Flyball in [your area] and see what it comes up with. I think Rita would love doing Flyball as long as you keep her active and healthy. You can also make a simple flyball machine at home after you get into classes. The reason you need classes so bad for flyball is because they teach dogs specially how to get the ball and trigger it and all that. Hope I could help you and Rita out:D

cali
06-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Zoomer is correct, you will need to take classes for flyball, not just because of proper turns etcs.. but because its a team sport, and well you will need at least 3 other dogs that know the sport to run with lol I used to compete in flyball, a few years ago I quite the club I was a member of because of a jerk of a leader lol I have not been able to get back in it again because I work on weekends. but Happy is a flyball master, Ripley is a flyball master champian and Misty is a flyball dog exellent.

bckrazy
06-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Flyball is very fun, and I know lots of Labs who love it! Just be sure to keep her growth nice and gradual so she has healthy joints as an adult, and don't attempt any jumping with her until she is done growing. Until then, work HARD on off-leash Obedience! It is very, very essential! Dogs have to concentrate on you, and getting their ball and running back while dozens of other dogs watch & bark nearby, and the other team is running past you. You should also start training her to have ball-drive by rolling tennis balls for her and encouraging her to chase them and play with them. Also get a soft tug, like fleece or rope material, and encourage her to play tug with you. Most important, I feel, is getting her to obey commands and have great recall by the time she's a young adult.

http://flyball.org & http://flyballdogs.com allows you to look up lots of info on the sport and search for trainers/clubs in your state.

cloverfdx
06-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Definite Flyball addicts here ;). I currently have 2 dogs competing and one dog nearly up and running. The dogs go nuts for it. I agree work on solid offlead obedience, and dont push too hard (Especially when the dog is still growing).

Our last comp we drove 26 hours to get too.... thats how addictive it is hehe.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks, guys! This will deffinetley help me out! ;)