PDA

View Full Version : Post Counts - Who really cares anyway?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
This is something I was thinking about last night (in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep) in response to the thread about responding to posts and creating pointless threads.

My question is, what is the big deal with how many posts someone has? Does it really matter? I mean, aren't there more important things in life to worry about than how many posts someone has in a particular online forum?

In my opinion, those of us who have been here awhile know who the long time well respected members are - no matter how many posts they have. Some of our longest running members have fewer posts than those who have only been here a short time. Yet we still know them and respect them and appreciate their posts. And new members quickly learn who the long time well respected members are just by reading the threads.

I'm not suggesting we get rid of post counts or any such thing because that is entirely up to Karen and Paul. What I am suggesting is why don't we all quit worrying about such minor petty little things when they're are more important things in life to worry about. If a person wants to post a million one word posts to boost their post count - who cares? We'll all just realize what they're doing and I don't know about everyone else, but I actually start "not seeing" those posts, just scan right over them as if they weren't even there.

Anyway, again, maybe I'm having a bad day and I'm in another crappy mood, but who really cares how many posts someone has or doesn't have?

Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's ALL small stuff.

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!! Does it really matter??? Not to me it doesn't! Some people go overboard and I admit that I may have a few times but I apologized put an effort to stop posting so much and that was it! Hey we know who the respected ones are and does it matter how many times someone has said something??? I mean unless it is really annoying or way of the point but otherwise? :)

finn's mom
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
For the most part, I know I don't even pay attention. But, I will say that I've asked if there was a way to include my posts as guster girl in with my posts as finn's mom. ;) Silliness, really, and, I've admitted to that the couple times I've asked about it. I'd love to see them wiped out totally, and, that's a thought that had never even crossed my mind til today. I don't think most people really care...I think it's possibly newer, maybe younger members who do. I don't know, though...I'm not suggesting the post counts be removed, either, because they've been there for a long time and it's not up to me. It does seem that the pointless thread thing and the mega posting bothers quite a few members, and, that does seem like it may solve that problem. Either way, though, it doesn't bother me too much anyway...I am so not observant of stuff lately, I hadn't noticed a lot of pointless threads. It's an interesting discussion, though, and, no I don't think you're being cranky or anything. Just expressing thoughts. ;)

jazzcat
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I just noticed you are 5 posts away from 13,000, should we call off the party? :D ;)

Just joking, couldn't help myself.

Seriously, I agree with you. It's not a competition and anyway, I tend to look at people's join date more than I do post count.

Cataholic
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
I look at post counts, sometimes. It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone. And, I was quite excited when I hit 1000. It felt like a milestone.

So, I do think post counts matter. To what extent? That might be debatable.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I just noticed you are 5 posts away from 13,000, should we call off the party? ;)

What!!!??!? :eek: :eek: I hadn't even noticed! See, I don't even know how many posts I have! ;) A reflection of how much I pay attention perhaps? ;) :rolleyes: Now.....about that party.... ;) :D

Gee....I suppose I now have to go find 4 more threads to respond to..... ;) :D

finn's mom
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I look at post counts, sometimes. It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone. And, I was quite excited when I hit 1000. It felt like a milestone.

So, I do think post counts matter. To what extent? That might be debatable.

I agree with you, to an extent. ;) I think they're fun, but, for me, that's about it. If they're there and others are being acknowledged, sure I want to be acknowledged when I hit 1000 or 10,000. But, if they're not there, it's not going to make me too sad, either. ;) But, that's where the debatable part comes in, because I know it's different for everyone.

slick
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about my post counts.

jazzcat
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM

Well I am guilty of ringing my own bell when I hit 10,000 a week or so ago. :o That was a biggy for me so I guess I do put more into it than I thought.

I've never been good a making a decision. I'm so wishy-washy!

finn's mom
06-16-2006, 10:07 AM

hee hee, i love the way you worded that. ;)

mruffruff
06-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm with Slick.

I've never figured out what it matters. I have no idea (and don't want to know) how many posts I have.

.sarah
06-16-2006, 10:15 AM
It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone.
Just curious, but what type of read does it give?

Queen of Poop
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I recently passed 1000, but didn't notice until I was already beyond that. Not important to me at all. I just want to be here, have conversation with awesome people, learn about pets round the world and be able to share when I have troubles, joys, etc.

Thank you. :D

jackie
06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I never got it why people celebrate post count either.
:confused:

This is the first board I have seen it on.

Cataholic
06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Just curious, but what type of read does it give?

Someone with 10,000 posts usually has been around the PT block a time or two, and I might be more willing to stop, look and listen. Someone with 1000 posts, in two months, might give me pause. Why so many posts in such a short time? Is it quality, or quanity? Is it someone out of school, perhaps indicting a younger person? Things like that.

Since this is a internet board, and I don't have much history to go on with people, I tend to pull from other indirect areas.

.sarah
06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Someone with 10,000 posts usually has been around the PT block a time or two, and I might be more willing to stop, look and listen. Someone with 1000 posts, in two months, might give me pause. Why so many posts in such a short time? Is it quality, or quanity? Is it someone out of school, perhaps indicting a younger person? Things like that.
I see where you're coming from. I actually posted a lot when I first came here, I think I used to have an average of 25 posts per day. I was probably posting mostly pointless posts. It got to the point where I myself was getting on my nerves :o I started posting less "lol haha" posts and more posts that actually meant something, and now I'm down quite a bit. I think it's probably a mistake that quite a few people make though. I know I did it because I'd never been a member of a forum so active where I really enjoyed the subject, and I was anxious to meet other people who enjoyed animals as much as I do.

lute
06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
i don't normally look and see how many posts i have, but some people PM me and tell me i'm close to passing another 1,000 posts.

Riptide
06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Ha. I didn't even know what a post count was until a few days ago, lol. I just come here to chit-chat ^^

Miss Z
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, as I've said before, it doesn't bother me in the slightest what threads people make, how many times they post etc. At the end of the day, it's their account. And as Cataholic said, it is quite a nice feeling when you celebrate your first, second, third, millionth pillarhood, and if people enjoy replying to threads then it's OK with me:) And if you don't want to post too often, then that's OK too. We have the freedom to do what we choose on PT.

luvofallhorses
06-16-2006, 11:45 AM

same here.

gini
06-16-2006, 11:49 AM

Succinct - yet amusing!! :D :D

RedHedd
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Me too, I passed 4,000 a while back without any fanfare. Every once in a while I will notice how many I've posted and think, geez, I gotta get a life or if my boss saw this .... :rolleyes:

Sometimes if I see posts that are kinda strange or just seem a bit off, I'll check the post count - it's usually a newbie/troll. I don't reply to those threads.

Argranade
06-16-2006, 12:49 PM
What the heck people actualy care how much they post pffftt!! baawhahaha :D :p now thats funny I never knew people could care so much about it I mean who realy cares how much you post Unless your gonna win $ome money in it :rolleyes:

I only post when I feel like it nothing speacail about it you just type somthing when you need to theres no need to be mad at someone if there number is bigger or worse start posting more to get your number higher. :cool: :rolleyes:

Look at me I only posted a few times you dont see me trying to post more or get attention. :)

Kfamr
06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
I quit watching a long time ago when it started becoming cool to reach the next 1000 and posts became quantity, not quality.

I used to love making congrats posts for dear friends when they reached a mark in posts. But like I said, I quit watching.

However, every once in a while I like making a post when I stumble across someone that hasn't posted pictures in a while reaching a mark. Great excuse to "make" them post pictures. ;)

sirrahbed
06-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I started reading this thread with the vague thought that post counts were silly....but I did take the time to open this thread :rolleyes:

But, I took into consideration who started it - so I guess I DO notice posts counts to some degree? Or, maybe it is because T&P's mom has been here a long time?

Ah well, post counts can be fun sometimes. I remember opening the thread about senseless posting and I still think it is no big deal - what does it hurt if somebody racks up many posts by just putting in a few words or just a smilie? It may be fun and important to them yes?
(Oh and Debbie - I also spent some time in the night thinking about this :o )

I guess I am pretty much with Johanna (cataholic) on this - I do get somewhat of a "read" by looking at post counts and I was also really excited when I hit my first 1000. :D

Ginger's Mom
06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I am very amused at this thread. I always used to try to keep my post count down. I am a very quiet person normally, and never wanted to be seen as someone who talks just for the sake of talking. I figure if I only speak when I have something to say, people are more likely to listen when I speak. When I initlally came on here I was careful as to when I posted, but then it became easier and easier, and I truly wanted to let people know I enjoy their animals. I never really saw having a lot of posts as being either a positive or negative thing; however, when I see a name I don't recognize I do look to see when they joined and how many posts they have to kind of get a feel of the person and how they use the board.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
I enjoyed watching my count for a while but after you become a pillar, there's nothing left!!! :D

anna_66
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
You bring up a good topic Debby.

I personally don't care how many I have (as I have waaay too many:o).

To me the only reason I hate people posting senseless threads and trying to make their post count go up is that I have to wade through all those posts to get to the good ones.
Now, I know I could only open threads of people I know are respected members, but then I'm not giving the newbies a chance and that's not fair either.

And that's the only reason I care about all the garbage threads and the people posting them.

I've read this over 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't come out the way I want, but I hope you get my meaning :)

sirrahbed
06-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I've read this over 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't come out the way I want, but I hope you get my meaning :)

Hey Anna - another "Debbie" weighing in here...
I also kept reading and rereading my post - wanting it to say what I was thinking carefully. I do get slightly annoyed having to wade through posts...and I often pop on and just read a few that I am interested in and front folks I already am familiar with. When I have more time (like today) I will try to read some of the newer posts to get to "know" more people.

For a thread that doesn't matter (tongue in cheek) this sure is racking up visitors and has disturned the sleep of at least two posters...both "Debbies" ;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I recently passed 1000, but didn't notice until I was already beyond that. Not important to me at all. I just want to be here, have conversation with awesome people, learn about pets round the world and be able to share when I have troubles, joys, etc.

Thank you. :D

Exactly! ;) Who cares if someone passes you up and you've been here years longer than them?? The fact is that you've been here, and not necessarily posted on EVERY SINGLE thread! :rolleyes: ;)

popcornbird
06-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I used to find post counts amusing and thought it was a fun excuse to post a thread to make a friend happy. Now? I think its completely pointless, silly, and something no one really needs to care about. Over the years, I've come to realize that it is better to remain silent when one has nothing beneficial to say. Post counts may have been fun for awhile, but...I now feel it is silly. I guess perspective changes over time. I'm in complete agreement with you, Debbie. It is nothing to care about. Its really...just meaningless, when you think about it. :D There are a lot more important things in life. Very true.

So.........I guess we should all call off Debbie's party. :D:D She has two more posts to go! Sorry Deb...party's CANCELLED! :p

Vela
06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
You bring up a good topic Debby.

I personally don't care how many I have (as I have waaay too many:o).

To me the only reason I hate people posting senseless threads and trying to make their post count go up is that I have to wade through all those posts to get to the good ones.
Now, I know I could only open threads of people I know are respected members, but then I'm not giving the newbies a chance and that's not fair either.

And that's the only reason I care about all the garbage threads and the people posting them.

That's the only reason it bothers me as well. I don't care how many posts people do or don't have, I just often don't have a lot of time to wade through a bunch of rather nonsene stuff to try to find posts by people who truly need support or good wishes, etc. I don't even mind if people post "nonsense" type threads unless someone does it constantly to the point of making it hard to find anything else to look at. I have seen some make so many posts, at least in dog general, in one day that nearly every post on the front page was by them and it pushed anything else to the other pages and made it so I had to search for a thread from earlier in the day to find out what was going on. That's the only stuff that really bothers me.

Dorothy39
06-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

I am laughing big time, enjoying these great POSTS.

I used to just click onto "Dog of the Day" and look at the Dogs that were posted.

It wasn't long until I was "caught in the net" , and I had to learn how to register. Once I registered, I hesitated to type a post. I didn't realize that the whole world could read what I typed.

then, when someone responded to my post, and I was livid with excitement. Wow, someone read what I typed and responded. :eek:

I have no clue about Post tallies, or, what the big dot means after each members' name. I just read through the forums and respond if I feel I can say something .

I don't care if someone just posts, "me too". or "I agree"

Pet Talk has helped me so much.

jazzcat
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
I have no clue about Post tallies, or, what the big dot means after each members' name.
The big dot after the name shows you who is on. When it's green by their name it means they are currently on PT. When it's not they are offline. Also if it's red by your own name then it means you are on but in "stealth" mode and others can't see you. I think that is how it goes.

Muddy4paws
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree!! Glad im not the only one here who thinks like that :o I feel like I've been here for ages but I still think I got under 600 posts :p and to be honest I come on here everday but I dont really post unless I'm in a chatty mood or unless I want to express my opinion, Its kind of annoying when you see newbies coming on with like 1000 posts in the first month especially when they insist on starting up so many new thread about the same old thing.

Sevaede
06-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Since this is a internet board, and I don't have much history to go on with people, I tend to pull from other indirect areas.

I must say, I've only been on PT for a couple of months and have already racked up a few posts. Why? Because I have a lot of time on my hands, spend a lot of time on PT, and try to respond to as many posts as I can. I don't respond if I don't have something to say or can't figure out the right wat to put my reply. I am naturally very chatty. :D

Also, I don't respect one person more than any other just because they've been here since the beginning and have 584392441826437896 posts.

cyber-sibes
06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll admit when I first got to PT, I had no idea what post counts were, or what a "pillar" is (as a matter of fact, I still don't know what a pillar is? :confused: ). Then it was kind of fun to see my count go up. Boy, it sure went up fast while was home after surgery last year! ;) But as I hit 2000, nobody said/did anything, no "congratulations", no fanfare....so...so what? who cares? The important thing is that I get to post as often or as little as I want to! The pointless threads do bother me, as do humongous siggies- seems like a waste of viewing space. JMO.

BTW - the big dot after your name lights up when you are online so we know who is online--look at one of your posts now - see, if you are reading this, your big dot is lit up cause you are online! :)
*edit, oops, I guess someone has already posted this

Karen
06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I moved this to Town Hall, where such discussion properly belongs.

Post counts can be fun to celebrate, but we all know that quality counts more than quantity - after all, Paul, who has been here the longest next to me, has not even reached 1,000 posts yet, but people value his opinion, right?

I don't think this thread should bring a halt to people celebrating a new thousand mark when it happens, as that is fun, but I don't think anyone should ever post just to raise their count, and I doubt anyone really does. Sometimes new folks get very enthusiastic, and post a whole lot their first few days, just getting to know this community can be exciting and overwhelming. I am a very talkative person, and understand the tendancy well! And this time of year always brings a lot of new people, as school gets out and some folks have more free time.

If there is anyone you seriously think is posting just to raise their count, DO send me a PM. I am a moderator, it's my job, remember, to deal with such things!

G535
06-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Post counts are one of those things I never notice, I'm a member of quite a few forums and I think counting posts is just silly. I read what I have time for and respond as the mood takes me, sometimes I can't respond as the cat is sitting on me and it's too painful to move around him (I have arthritis). :)

shihtzulover850
06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I must say, I've only been on PT for a couple of months and have already racked up a few posts. Why? Because I have a lot of time on my hands, spend a lot of time on PT, and try to respond to as many posts as I can. I don't respond if I don't have something to say or can't figure out the right wat to put my reply. I am naturally very chatty. :D

Also, I don't respect one person more than any other just because they've been here since the beginning and have 584392441826437896 posts.
The same exact with me!!! :eek: They are all equal to me!

Randi
06-17-2006, 04:17 PM
In my opinion, those of us who have been here awhile know who the long time well respected members are - no matter how many posts they have. Some of our longest running members have fewer posts than those who have only been here a short time. Yet we still know them and respect them and appreciate their posts. And new members quickly learn who the long time well respected members are just by reading the threads.
So true Debbie! Just look at Phred's (and others, who have been here a long time) post count ... and I can't help but mentioning John (Jonza), he made it to about 300 posts in two years. I'm sure that most who were here at the time, remember the majority of his posts. :)
I thought it was fun when I had the first 100 and also 1000, but since then, it's really not that important.

It is a bit tedious to have to wade through all these one sentence posts, that appears to have been posted to get the number up. Also when the same person post a new reply right under the first. In my opinion, people who join a Forum like this, should learn about the features - including edit!

I think a lot of us are quite aware, that popularity is not a matter of how many posts you have, but the quality of them! This becomes increasingly important with more members. If you take a look at "Thread of year", you'll see that many threads were started by posters who don't have a high post count.

zoey
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think post counts are important.
I think what's important is a person's attitude and respect towards other people. I haven't post here all that much, but on another board I've been posting at for years, we had this discussion there, and I noticed that once I posted 35 times in a day, and for a 3 months period, not one.
It just depends on many things.
I don't mind the count being there, however.
I will just add that I like the wealth of knowledge and the mutual respect the folks around here have for one another.
I'm kind of starting to feel much more comfy visiting PT. :)

Pam
06-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Good thread Debbie. ;) I never ever look at post counts. In fact, I have no real idea what my own is at this point (guessing 7,000?) and will look as soon as I finish this post. :)

I feel in agreement with what some of the others have said, in that I try to only respond when I feel I might be able to contribute something worthwhile. There are a few people here who seldom post but when I see their names I quickly click to see what they have said as their posts are always thoughtful, wise, humorous, or a combination of all of those things. One of them is Rachel, mom of Hannah and Tucker, and her post count I am sure is very low because she has often said she just doesn't have the time to spend at PT.

I do occasionally note the dates that people joined. It interesting to me to see just how long some of us have stuck around. That says something for this board (or rather the people on this board) for sure. :)

cloverfdx
06-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by slick
LOL couldn't have put it better myself Slick :D.

I would rather see more thought provoking posting than some of the boring stuff that gets posted here at times.

todd
06-18-2006, 08:37 PM
post counts who cares :rolleyes:

trayi52
06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm with Slick, don't care how many I have. Sometimes I like to just read the threads and not post. Then there are times when I do post. I never notice how many I have. LOL, I am noticing now.

Willie :)

Catty1
06-21-2006, 09:36 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=107167&page=1

Catty1